Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS swap into Cutlass. only runs in start position

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2022 | 05:05 PM
nvm
Teching In

Default LS swap into Cutlass. only runs in start position

I feel like this has to have been covered. I've searched and not finding it though.
I have an LS1 in a 1972 A-body Cutlass.
If I try to start it normal, it starts and immediately dies. I thought it was VATS. I got a new PCM w VATS deleted. Same thing.
Then, I tried just holding it in the start position, and it runs. For several seconds (didn't want to hold it there forever). As soon as I let the key back to the run position, it dies.

WTH did I do wrong???

Thanks for any advice. Nik
Old 10-03-2022 | 05:41 PM
nvm
Teching In

OMG. Nevermind. I found it. Was wired to the purple wire. That's a no no. Don't use the purple wire....
Old 10-03-2022 | 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

So how does it run? Bet your all happy, I know I was very excited when my swap fired up the first time
Old 10-03-2022 | 06:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Any pics or video of it running?
Old 10-03-2022 | 06:31 PM
nvm
Teching In

I'm both ecstatic and ticked at the same time. I wasted a week and weekend (which happened to be one of the few weekends I had due to kids travel sports) waiting for the second PCM to come in w VATS delete. So I wasted that money as well to find out it was my stupid mistake. But ya, also kinda giddy to have it run. I made it run by holding the ignition wire against the headlight fuse. It was a 2-hand ordeal. It will probably be a couple of weeks now before it actually runs proper. I did the swap with mostly one arm due to surgery and it took me 9 months. Ya, it's almost emotional when it finally ran. My goal is to go down the road with it before I put it away for the winter. Family schedule is nuts right now, we'll see...

The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (10-03-2022)
Old 10-03-2022 | 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good job...you be like "I can do a LS swap with one arm tied behind my back" LOL
Old 10-03-2022 | 06:42 PM
nvm
Teching In

Originally Posted by jetech
Good job...you be like "I can do a LS swap with one arm tied behind my back" LOL
There were nights I almost cried under that car. I only had one hand and I was trying to start bolts and doing crazy things with magnets and tape, and dropping things, and then even rolling over or pulling myself out from under the car was extremely painful due to surgery. Jobs that should have taken 10 minutes (and ya, I know a 10 minute job always takes 30) were taking 2 hours. It was super frustrating. Thanks for comments!
G Atsma (10-03-2022)
Old 10-03-2022 | 06:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's amazing what we will do when we want to . Again, nice job
G Atsma (10-03-2022)

Quick Reply: LS swap into Cutlass. only runs in start position