Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

54 Sedan Delivery 6L swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2023, 12:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

This last week/weekend I got a good bit done! The passenger rocker is almost finished, and really solid now.

I am by no means an expert on this stuff, but I feel like I did pretty good (I made these panels from some sheets of 20g steel). Its been a steep learning curve, but not a bad one.
I should probably do more sanding and finishing, but I want to move onto the next parts. I am confident its smooth and finished enough to just do a skim coat of filler, but as long as I have it apart I'll do a bit more sanding.
Next up is the toe boards and working my way around to the drivers side rocker.
Jessica
Old 12-01-2023, 12:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,078 Likes on 2,397 Posts

Hey, if a skim coat of filler is good enough for Overhaulin', it's good enough for us plain folk.
Watching that show demonstrated that's how you develop a basis for a good surface finish foundation.
If it worked for Chip Foose....
The following users liked this post:
78_elky (12-01-2023)
Old 12-13-2023, 01:16 PM
TECH Regular

Got a cold, but I'm still plugging away at this thing. I ended up cutting the drivers rocker out and the toe board on the passenger side. The rough plan is to get the rocker replaced on the drivers side, then cut out its toe board. Finish up the floor frame and then get the firewall removed.
Hopefully I'm feeling up to some of this stuff this weekend and will have some fun picture updates! I also found a hood bird on ebay, and that just makes me all kinds of happy the hood has the bird now
Jessica
Old 12-26-2023, 02:05 PM
TECH Regular

Tons done before Christmas, and hopefully I'm on a good roll for the next week or so.
I got the drivers side rocker replaced, and the floor frame attached. It really helped get the car more stable and solid.
There is a pretty bad repair from an accident on the drivers side, but by the time I'm all done it'll be fine, but for now its pretty messed up still.

The used hood bird I bought! Its the little stuff that really makes me happy on this project.

No more rocker on the drivers side

New inner and outer rocker completely hooked into the floor frame

Not as much metal work on this side

Still lots of cutting/grinding/welding/and sanding

No more toe boards, and new framework installed

With the car less likely to collapse in half, or down on itself I decided it was time to cut some more.
I have no use for the firewall, because its just got too many holes I don't need and I've had to cut a lot of it out anyways to fit the back of the engine and transmisison.

Drilled the spot welds to remove the firewall, and you can actually see some of the questionable repair that was done

First test fit with some self tappers

The back side needs a "doghouse" to fit the intake/engine and it'll make getting to the upper bellhousing bolts a lot easier. I also bent the lower portion to match up with the toe board framework.

The flange alone added a lot of rigidity to the firewall

Then I added the metal for the "doghouse"

Started to figure out the steering and brake setup

First test fit of the column

It was time to pull the dash!

So much room, and ready to get the firewall welded in place (after some more test fitting of course)

Stripped down and ready for some much needed help. You can kind of see a crease on the drivers side from the accident the car was in.

So that is where I left it. I hope I can get the firewall welded in place with the steering and brake stuff all ready to go. The plan is to make the dash removable, and the column will bolt/clamp to the brake pedal apparatus and a dash bar that will be hidden under the dash. There was enough access from through the firewall originally, but with it shaved/flat like I'm making it it'll be a lot easier to wire and mount things with the dash out.
Jessica
Old 12-26-2023, 10:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Impressive project!
Old 12-27-2023, 02:16 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by tommy49
Impressive project!
Thank you! Your '49 looks awesome
Jessica
Old 01-02-2024, 02:17 PM
TECH Regular

I'm not sure its a lot of progress, but it was a lot of hours of work
I got the dash out, and that gave me room to work on building a bar to go across the car to mount the column to and eventually attach to the brake pedal bracket
Some of the pics make the dash or things look crooked, but the piece of angle iron is welded at an angle between the door pillars so that throws things off, it can really mess with my head while doing the work
Basically the column will fit in that saddle I made, and it clamps together with 4 3/8" bolts

Then it was time to work more on the firewall, and the recess.
I notched the bottom of the recess for the bellhousing, but that is not the final shape its going to be
The cowl flange that the firewall welds to only needed a small patch, but it otherwise in great shape.

I have a lot of welding and finishing to do on the firewall before it gets installed, but the shape/design is all there.
After the welding, I'll tackle the brake bracket, and then the firewall should be ready to weld back in place.
I'm hopeful I can get the doors back on it and get the fenders and core support done by the end of the month so I can turn the car around and start on the rear floor.
Jessica
Old 01-08-2024, 11:44 AM
TECH Regular

The weekend went really well and it actually looks like I did a lot!

Tack welded the firewall to the cowl on the outside. I'll fully tig weld it later

I have a ring roller I got for another project and it turns out it makes cool parts for a tunnel

The rings tie the two sides of the floor together with the firewall

Redid the flanges on the pillars for the dash to sit against

Once the dash bar was bolted in solid and the firewall plug welded from the inside the brace could be removed, I also got the steering and brakes bolted on. Still need to brace the brake setup better.

Its a lot more stable than when I started!

I did cut the frame horns off because they kind of went too far forward

Hung the doors and fenders and started to figure out the core support, of course I didn't get a pic with the hood emblem and bird installed

Stipped the filler and paint off the dash

Lot of weird screw holes. They did the cave and pave on these as well, so there was a lot of hammering and fixing before any welding could occur

I know its just random gauges and stuff (not the style I'd use) but I'm excited for the finished product

An S10 radiator does fit pretty good between the factory sheet metal. I haven't checked the inner fender stuff yet to see how it'll work. My inner fenders are pretty rough, one is rusted through the other is cut up and welded back together.
Jessica
The following 2 users liked this post by 78_elky:
BillyFargon (01-08-2024), clay68c10 (01-11-2024)
Old 01-22-2024, 02:27 PM
TECH Regular

Apparently an artic blast isn't the most advantageous time to be out in the garage. Who would have guessed low temps make metal too cold, and its annoying to work with.
Anyways still got some stuff done, just not what I had planned to work on. I wanted to build the core support, but that was a lot of work, and the interior was a lot easier to deal with in short trips into the cold garage.

I thought I was almost done with the dash

Just a few more holes to fill, and a block off to buy for the radio holes

Couldn't get the block off plate from my parts place, and the one on ebay seemed over priced so I made one

It turns out I had to open the hole for the column a little.

It works better with the wider top of the column on the aftermarket unit

It took a lot of fiddling to get the bezel to fit with everything else, and the plastic gauge insert I'd made
I spent a few days or parts of the days working on getting the fenders to line up with the hood and doors. I had a lot of trouble with the splash apron and the frame.
I chopped the front frame horns off as far as I really want to at this point, so it was all about making the apron fit by cutting it.
For now its kind of just cut roughly and I actually welded it directly to the frame so it doesn't come out of alignment while I build the core support.
When I'm done with the core support I'll cut the tack welds and do a little nicer metal work to get the apron off the frame and still retain as much of the factory look as I can.

Decided I needed to see the grill sitting on the front again, just to get excited over the progress

I also got a new to me drivers fender. The one I had was way too smashed and filled to use. It couldn't bolt to the cowl because it was actually flatter than it should be, when I got the car it was actually welded to the cowl.

So thats as far as I've gotten, but maybe with the warmer weather I'll have more to share next week.
Jessica
Old 01-22-2024, 06:27 PM
On The Tree

Time to invest in a heater. Nothing like working in a t-shirt when it 10 deg outside.
78_elky (01-23-2024)
Old 01-23-2024, 02:31 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by tommy49
Time to invest in a heater. Nothing like working in a t-shirt when it 10 deg outside.
Yeah I insulated the garage last year, and did pick up a propane turbine fan style heater. I'm just a wuss about the cold this year I guess.
Jessica
Old 01-30-2024, 12:19 PM
TECH Regular

I'm not sure where I left off but I had some help this weekend moving the car around so I worked as fast as possible to get the core support started and sturdy.
All this so I could have the car pulled into the garage, so i can work on the back half of the floor without having to climb over my bracing I added.

Simple but effective!

Don't try to figure out how square things are, they might not be exactly right in these photos
The splash apron will need some major trimming and changing to work with the new ore support. I've designed it around a stock S10 radiator, and I should have a new one here shortly with electric fans.
The engine accessories are another issue I knew/suspected would be a problem, but I checked the clearance on the power steering pump this last week and there isn't any. So that will have to be addressed in the future.

It made it out in one piece and I think I may have nailed the stance (sort of, more on that later)
The steering worked decent, and the car isn't too heavy to push around so it went pretty smoothly.
Luckily the garage mounted winch meant we only had to push the car across the driveway, and not back up the incline.

Started on the rear floor, yes there is some misalignment, and it should be fixed before these things end up in there permanently.

So the two issues I've run into are as follows: rear body mount position and ride height.
I welded the rear body mount pedestals in place then realized they are now the thing that limits my tire size. They are probably 1/2 from the tire, and the tires are already a 245 on a 9" wheel so I think I'm fine, but I feel kind of stupid for not thinking of it when I was doing all the work.
The other issue is the car is sitting on the rear axle and the ride height looks pretty good, so I was already going to make my notch a little bigger but it may need to be a couple inches bigger. This will also effect my instant center and pinion angle, but I don't know yet how much...so I may be redoing some of the rear link stuff. I'm not too broken up about this, I built the frame from measurements and I was off a bit, but it can all be fixed and its not like the car is going to hit the road tomorrow at this point. If the amount I'm off is small, the link adjustments in the bars could compensate enough I won't have to re weld things.

Anyways maybe I'll get the floor frame done this next weekend, and I'll be onto skinning the floor.
Jessica
Old 02-12-2024, 11:33 AM
TECH Regular

I'm back! I didn't really go anywhere, but I forgot to post a Monday update.
I know its not required, but it has been keeping me kind of motivated to do this project.

I snagged a very cheap HVAC unit (no defrost though) and we shall see how that works out

The majority of the floor is gone, and the rear body mounts are in place.

This is the rough plan for the rear floor section. Obviously this bed floor section is upside down, but you get the idea
I ran out of the metal I was using for the floor framework. This meant I had to figure out something else to do with my weekend, so I did some arts and crafts.

Made the floor out of cardboard!
Now, being in Oregon we get a lot of rain, and I didn't feel the cardboard would hold up long term. I debated some resin and fiberglass but in the end decided to use the metal I had bought for the floors.

And yes, thats a lot of spot/rosette welds

I won't clutter the post with each progress picture, just the final shots. Grinding to be done as I feel like it

The templates are actually pretty good even for the other side. So I must have made the car pretty symmetrical!
Punching all those darn holes in the metal was getting old, so I decided to pivot to another project again.
A lot of this project is "planned" from experience on my El Camino. I didn't get parts so I couldn't fabricate things, and then progress halted. I figured this time I'd buy things along the way so I could keep the momentum and also not get hit with needing tons of stuff at the end.
So sometimes I like to jump around so the parts I do have for mockup and fabrication don't just clutter up the garage.
Building the front floor pan was so I could finalize the pedals and steering stuff with the seat in the car.
The next thing was the radiator and condenser, because I don't want them to get damaged just hanging around the garage.

Removable top plate/bar so I can pull the engine and trans easier

The condenser mounts to the core support, so all the pieces can come apart individually

How I left it yesterday. I think I may work on the rest of the rear framework, now that I have more materials
I'm not sure what I'll start/finish next, but its all progress at this point. Might work on the other floor sections, might mount the bumpers and grille. I need a trans fluid cooler and to mount it somewhere up front.
Jessica
Old 02-20-2024, 11:09 AM
TECH Regular

These floors are getting easier, or I'm getting better. It might be a bit of both things. I got the passenger side finished this weekend, in about two days instead of taking most of a week. My templates from the drivers side all fit pretty perfectly (well, some minor trimming).
Either way, I got the passenger side finished and all spot welded in place. The cubby frames are basically done, and I cut out the rest of the rear floor so I can start getting all of its framework completed and move onto sheeting it.

The first three sections went in really fast the first day

The second day was a short one but I got it all tacked in place

The last day was all about spot welding

The rear "trunk" drops look OK

Some rust on the bottom but they feel solid

I also scored a new to me hood for $50 and its not buckled like mine was
I cut all the bracing that was in the way on the bottom of the bed floor and then got it just sitting in the back

The bed floor from the S10

I haven't quite decided how to handle the issue of the bed floor being so much narrower than the sedan rear floor. I could go find another bed and cut the floor out (and I do have the rest of the floor pieces but I'm not sure there is enough)
I was toying around with the idea of just doing some bead rolls around the perimeter of the wheel tubs and connecting those to the center floor section. I guess it all depends on what fits in my little bead roller and how much metal is verses another bed.

Also going back to arts and craft for the tunnel, with me luck its some weird shapes.

Jessica
G Atsma (02-20-2024)
Old 02-27-2024, 11:21 PM
TECH Regular

Lots and lots of stuff done this week! Some things only half finished, but still progress.
I got the battery hold down all finished, the fuse box mounts are finished, and I got the rear splash apron fixed and bolted to the car.

I just can't say how cool it is to just have a floor to sit on again

I made a pipe anvil for the trans tunnel

The anvil sure did the trick!

Sanded and primed the dash, because I had two nice days to get any paint done

I had to hit the dash with spray paint to get a feel for the future color combo and also just to see it complete for the first time

Installed the HVAC box onto the dash bar

The HVAC needs to be adjusted on its mount, but other than being crooked I think I can live with it

Made up a mount for the PCM and its fuse box

My "more time than money" fancy grommet to get the PCM plug through the firewall and not have a massive open hole

All the engine wires will be hidden behind the intake

Looking pretty good under the hood so far, and got the bulkhead fitting/plate installed for the HVAC

I am kind of super excited with the color combo as well as the way things are coming together.
I am going to make some changes to the tunnel (I don't like the squared off section, especially now that I can do curves better)
I'll probably get back on the sheet metal floor and cubby stuff, I may have a line on a free truck bed from a full size long bed truck so it'll actually cover up the rear of the car a lot better than the mini truck bed.
Anyways I'll update as I get more done, hopefully I can keep up this kind of pace.
Jessica
Old 02-28-2024, 05:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Nice work!
78_elky (03-07-2024)
Old 03-07-2024, 10:46 AM
TECH Regular

Been getting a lot of little things done, and its all adding up. I have a lot more free time lately so that helps too.
Either way, the rough goal is have a floor in this thing this spring. I know it sounds like a simple plan, but its going to be surprising if it works out.
Plus I keep doing all the little stuff that crops up as I can and as I think it makes sense so it takes me away from the floor project.
Anyways, onto the pics! Thats what we're all here for

I cut out the square tunnel section that I had under the seat now that I feel confident I can deal with a curved tunnel.

Drug the bench seat from my El Camino up from my basement and I really dig it...plus its so comfy

Its kind of narrow at the bottom, but it fits perfect at the top and its free!

I remade the center portion of the splash apron to accommodate the frame horns as well as close up the gap under the radiator

I'm not sure exactly how its supposed to be done, but the black trans cooler, and black AC condenser disappear behind the grill, so I may paint the portion of the splash apron behind the grill black too

Finalized the body mount design and decided to work on bumpers, this one is loose so its crooked. Its also a car bumper and apron, because I don't have the delivery one. I think it looks better though. Also rust

I started on the front bumper, but I got snagged and was missing needed materials, so this is as close a picture as I have of it on the car

Figured out the brake pedal arm, as well as the throttle pedal mount

Mounted a cheap puke tank

I just threw the seat in place to figure out the pedals, dash stuff, and generally make sure I had good leg room and head room. oh, and make sure it fit over the tunnel.
I'm going to get its mounts tacked in place then take it back to the basement where it is safe from all the metal work.
Then I can get back on the floor and everything else. It was a nice boost to the morale to see the interior looking like a car, and getting to sit in it!

I know its not the most wild 50s dash, but its really feeling cool to have it this complete given what I started with

Jessica
Old 03-26-2024, 10:36 AM
TECH Regular

I finished the floor! Well the front and the cubbies, but still.

The battery even fits nicely back there (not the battery I will be using fyi)

The cubby tops will need a lot more thinking, but the first iteration works, and I do like the size. The problem is as the opening swings up it goes "behind" where the side wall could/should be in the future

I also decided to block off the back of the floor, as a transition to the truck bed floor piece. It'll be less work than trying to section so many portions of the floor to lengthen the middle

I also decided to junk the factory tubs. They are too far gone to save, too flimsy and the outer tub (part on the quarter) of the drivers side is a mess. So I'll be trailer tubbing it. It wasn't my favorite option but I think it'll look good.
Then I got bored or burned out on the floor (some time between doing the cubby and the tunnel) and I installed the rear discs from a 2000 Camaro, not many pictures but it was a rear end fluid messy kind of job so I wasn't keen to stop and take pics.

This is an obviously used set and its more to get me mocked up. I'll replace the rotor and caliper when its time to get this thing on the road.
(The guy I bought them from tried to grind this caliper to fit under a 15" aluminum wheel)

The shifter works, I had held off on welding in the tunnel pieces so I could use the hole in the floor to adjust it and not need a second person.

I spray painted the engine cover, with the same stuff I used on the dash. I like the look so it'll probably stay. I also have some chrome valve covers to go on there. Trying to keep some old school style with what I can.

I had to extend the intermediate shaft, so now I can steer without the column slipping off the shaft.

As anyone whos done a swap or a project like this knows, there is a ton left to do. I'm just happy to not see my garage floor through the floor anymore.
I also rolled it out and back into the garage using the handy winch setup so I could clean up the floor. It still looks super cute out in the sun

Jessica
The following 2 users liked this post by 78_elky:
BillyFargon (03-26-2024), clay68c10 (04-05-2024)
Old 04-08-2024, 11:22 AM
TECH Regular

I had to do a bunch of stuff to my daily and helped a friend pulling an engine for his diesel pickup.
It makes even this rust bucket look clean at least.

Cubby lid frames and piano hinge finished

I tested getting the battery in and out and it can be done, its just a bit of a squeeze

Took the dash out so I can finish grinding and spot welding the floor to firewall

I kind of psyched myself out for a few days or even a week about the tubs. I test fitted them a ton before cutting and did a ton of measuring.
In the end it was just a matter of cutting and hoping for the best. I started on the worst side of the car, so I really couldn't/wouldn't make it worse.
I was also scared to take the tubs out in case the car sagged, but it didn't seem to so I think its all ok in that respect.

Started on the rear tub project

So much metal gone, not just rotten, but completely gone

The rear is in better shape somehow

The huge cut and bad weld on the quarter is on the other side of this wheel house, and you can see how they just filled it with seam sealer and lap jointed it. Its hardly welded

The new tubs are going to work good, but I'll still have a lot of work to do to build the outer wheel tubs

These tubs came with a nice half circle piece of metal that closes them up, so at least I don't need to buy metal and cut that out.
The plan is to cleco them in place and then work on templates for the outer tub as well as the extensions that go down to the rockers.
I need to close up the rocker to floor portion in front of the tires as well.
Jessica
Old 04-11-2024, 05:31 PM
On The Tree

Your work ethic is amazing! If it wasn’t for rust, you wouldn’t learn metalworking!
78_elky (04-15-2024)

Quick Reply: 54 Sedan Delivery 6L swap