Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally, The Time Has Come - W-Body LS1!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2005, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, can't believe I didn't see this earlier...

I've got a ~325 WHP GTP as my daily driver... interesting project, I've heard it spoken of before, but never seen it in practice till now.

I wanna see video when that sucker is fired up.

Oh, BTW.. 13.5 with ~300 to the wheels? Were you having traction issues or what? That's ~.5 seconds slower then it should be.
Old 05-16-2005, 02:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

man you've come along way. projects like this expect setbacks and lots of time and research. hope to see it when your done.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:49 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

make sure to keep us all posted.....
great work so far
Old 05-16-2005, 11:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by digitalsolo
Wow, can't believe I didn't see this earlier...

I've got a ~325 WHP GTP as my daily driver... interesting project, I've heard it spoken of before, but never seen it in practice till now.

I wanna see video when that sucker is fired up.

Oh, BTW.. 13.5 with ~300 to the wheels? Were you having traction issues or what? That's ~.5 seconds slower then it should be.
.5 seconds too slow - exactly! Race weight at 3700+ lbs. and no burnout on the DR's. That was on a 2.20 short time, but it did trap at 104+. Lemme see, Bondurant driving school?

I wanna see it too. But Loyde is da man - he's got it going on.

Thanks for all the interest, guys.

Last edited by TeeKay; 05-16-2005 at 11:29 AM.
Old 05-16-2005, 12:04 PM
TECH Resident

Reading this post reminded me of a GTP a few months back. It was in Warrenton, Va and it had Spotsilvania?? Nacotics Team on the side...(it was a police vehicle) Well im at the light making a left and this guy is off to my right in the fast lane beside me... The guy looks over at me and gives me this grin...at this point i didnt' bother b/c i had no way to race him..i was in the wrong lane but OMG! When that bitch turned green the guy didn't spin at ALL and he was up and out like a banchee!! I don't think i've ever seen something get out of the hole like that this dude would've MURDED me, thank god i was in the wrong lane or i would have had to add a loss to my record...
Old 05-24-2005, 05:33 PM
On The Tree

Glad to see you are making progress. Keep up the great work.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by wm_sorg
Glad to see you are making progress. Keep up the great work.
Thanks! Exhaust parts due back from Jet Hot this week. Hopefully all trans issues to be resolved by next week.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vertigo
Reading this post reminded me of a GTP a few months back. It was in Warrenton, Va and it had Spotsilvania?? Nacotics Team on the side...(it was a police vehicle) Well im at the light making a left and this guy is off to my right in the fast lane beside me... The guy looks over at me and gives me this grin...at this point i didnt' bother b/c i had no way to race him..i was in the wrong lane but OMG! When that bitch turned green the guy didn't spin at ALL and he was up and out like a banchee!! I don't think i've ever seen something get out of the hole like that this dude would've MURDED me, thank god i was in the wrong lane or i would have had to add a loss to my record...
Yeah, if you can get the launch right, some good street tires can pull 1.8s in the 60' time. The roots really pulls hard down low, run out of breath fairly quicly though.

Got any more pics for us TeeKay?
Old 05-31-2005, 12:15 PM
Teching In

The full-up Intense 4T65E-HD 3.29 trans with a 3500 stall converter is going on order next week.
I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but Intense transmissions have been having high failure rates (high as like.. pretty much all of them). Read up on www.clubgp.com about intense and their transmissions. No one uses them anymore. People were actually taking them out of their car so they didn't have to deal with them when they failed. Those metal shavings aren't normal
Old 05-31-2005, 06:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ALotofNothing
I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but Intense transmissions have been having high failure rates (high as like.. pretty much all of them). Read up on www.clubgp.com about intense and their transmissions. No one uses them anymore. People were actually taking them out of their car so they didn't have to deal with them when they failed. Those metal shavings aren't normal
You're probably fine if you use just pull the LSD out. The rest of the transmissions aren't that bad. If you haven't paid for it yet, go through ZZP though. That, or I have a guy locally that can build a hell of a '65e-HD also.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by digitalsolo
You're probably fine if you use just pull the LSD out. The rest of the transmissions aren't that bad. If you haven't paid for it yet, go through ZZP though. That, or I have a guy locally that can build a hell of a '65e-HD also.
I appreciate your concern, guys, but we're on that like white on rice! Eric Schertz at Dyno Tech has the solution courtesy of GM Racing. They have a 4T65E-HD that will take 1,200 WHEEL HP in a 2800 pound car (their Ecotek Sunfire). They have a chain and a torsen diff that is going to take the HP I'm working toward. The parts are now available to the public, mostly on the shelf (some availability issues) and have been ordered. More to come...
Old 06-01-2005, 11:52 AM
TECH Regular

Default Fwd

I'm sorry I just can't see the point of going to all that work and expense for a FWD platform. If you could make it 4WD ok but it just ain't going to go as well as a RWD especially in the handling department. It's going to understeer like a pig.
That said, whatever makes you happy....
Old 06-01-2005, 09:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by redmist
I'm sorry I just can't see the point of going to all that work and expense for a FWD platform. If you could make it 4WD ok but it just ain't going to go as well as a RWD especially in the handling department. It's going to understeer like a pig.
That said, whatever makes you happy....
What makes you think it will understeer? IOW, the aluminum LS1 is about 15 pounds less than the cast iron 6. The weight distribution is virtually the same as the 6, so the handling should still be the same. And that's been pretty good by all accounts. No? There are a lot of FWD cars that embaress the RWD folks, so what you are saying is not supported by experience. I DO understand the RWD bias, because I'm kinda one of those myself, but what you said doesn't wash. Thanks for the interest. Time will tell...
Old 06-02-2005, 10:44 AM
TECH Regular

Default Do you get the Speed Channel?

"so what you are saying is not supported by experience"
Well it is...
Choose any class of racing (except FWD only classes), take the top ten cars
Calculate the percentage of 4wd vs RWD Vs FWD.
As an avid autocrosser and track day junkie the only FWD cars I see keep up with RWD cars in their class are highly modified first generation mini coopers and some honda civics. Very light cars with huge rubber on the front with almost a 50/50 weight distribution.
There is basic physics involved.

Will your car go faster with an LS1? Of course it will. Will it go faster than a comparable car with a RWD platform? No it won't.

Originally Posted by TeeKay
What makes you think it will understeer? IOW, the aluminum LS1 is about 15 pounds less than the cast iron 6. The weight distribution is virtually the same as the 6, so the handling should still be the same. And that's been pretty good by all accounts. No? There are a lot of FWD cars that embaress the RWD folks, . I DO understand the RWD bias, because I'm kinda one of those myself, but what you said doesn't wash. Thanks for the interest. Time will tell...

Last edited by redmist; 06-02-2005 at 10:49 AM.
Old 06-05-2005, 10:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by redmist
"so what you are saying is not supported by experience"
Well it is...
Choose any class of racing (except FWD only classes), take the top ten cars
Calculate the percentage of 4wd vs RWD Vs FWD.
As an avid autocrosser and track day junkie the only FWD cars I see keep up with RWD cars in their class are highly modified first generation mini coopers and some honda civics. Very light cars with huge rubber on the front with almost a 50/50 weight distribution.
There is basic physics involved.

Will your car go faster with an LS1? Of course it will. Will it go faster than a comparable car with a RWD platform? No it won't.
OK, but here's a couple of examples that you might want to consider: my car with the 6 and 304 wheel hp at 3700 pounds went a tenth faster in the 1/4 than a mostly stock C5 which was probably close to the same wheel hp (BTW, I have the slip). The GP comes with IRS and so handles a little better in the twistys than an equivalent F-body with a solid rear axle (stock the GP measured .81 g's). That stacks up pretty well against most other stock LS1 powered vehicles although the IRS Corvette still has the edge there. There is no reason to expect that the GP will handle any differently with the LS1 over the 3800. Will it's stock suspension make it a competitive auto-x'er against modified F-bodies or Corvettes? No way!

Those are the reasons that I say that whp to whp, weight to weight, FWD is a viable alternative and not inherently "slower" than an equivalent RWD. Do you have to drive it differently than RWD to get the same results? Man, that's a given, but it can and has been done!

I have to emphasize, I still like RWD better because I've been doing it that way for nearly 40 years. FWD isn't just "bad" because of that though.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

teekay..... i love what your doing with your car.... and i'm not trying to add fuel to the fire...
but a stock ws6 skidpad is .88g....> .81g for the gp....

that is all...
Old 06-08-2005, 08:34 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome project. Can't wait to see it done and see some vids and timeslips!!

Good luck, I know how long these LSX swaps can take
Old 06-08-2005, 08:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jaberwaki
teekay..... i love what your doing with your car.... and i'm not trying to add fuel to the fire...

that is all...
I thought that the fbody's pulled .80g in the skid pad? I didn't know a ws6 was at .88g. For what its worth I just read test results in the new Popular Mechanics and they pulled a.91g out of a new C6. A number of years ago Car Craft did a build up on an 85 rear wheel drive Monte Carlo with Eibach Springs, Koni shocks and Hotchkis Front and rear control arms along with larger tires and wheels and they pulled a 89g. This was with an iron block 350 motor.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jaberwaki

that is all...
OK, you got me! You made me go back to my 2002-2003 records to be sure. Bone stock the car was .78, I forgot that at .81 I had added better struts (still stock springs), 45 series Nittos and strut tower braces. The 2005 GP GXP was reported at .83. BTW, the car dyno'd 204 to 197 whp bone stock on three back-to-back runs. That's just to give you an idea of where I started!

Last edited by TeeKay; 06-09-2005 at 10:10 AM.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awsome....... so 6 more days till its fired fo rthe first time?????
Kyle

Quick Reply: Finally, The Time Has Come - W-Body LS1!