Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally, The Time Has Come - W-Body LS1!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 11:19 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NA$TY-TA
Awsome....... so 6 more days till its fired fo rthe first time?????
Kyle

I wish........ Waiting on some new GM parts for the transmission now. Tom decided on some very nice upgraded parts for the 65eHD.

Loyde
Old 06-09-2005, 09:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

AAACCCKKKK!!! more waiting!!!!!
Old 06-10-2005, 12:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by FastFieros
I wish........ Waiting on some new GM parts for the transmission now. Tom decided on some very nice upgraded parts for the 65eHD.

Loyde
Talked to Eric today. Mouth watering. I'm still first on the list, but GM has a couple of reluctor glitches they're working out. Hopefully a few more days...a few more days...a few more days. As jaberwaki said, "AAAAAKKK...!"

This ain't on topic, but I just couldn't stand it anymore so I took a test drive in the 5.3L GP GXP today just to get a taste of V8 FWD performance. It'sa niiiccee. God, don't let Mama see this one, I'd be damn broke! GM employee discount took the $33K MSRP down to $27.5K minus whatever discounts are available. For redmist and the other autoX-ers, 40 mph, stab the binders, HARD right onto a side street, accelerate through the turn at 3/4 throttle...the car didn't complain, just followed the line and no, repeat, no torque steer. I'm impressed!

Loyde, I WILL get an 800 hp trans to you very soon!
Old 06-29-2005, 06:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Trans update:
Well GM Ecotec racing is finally starting to ship. Looks like a couple of weeks to get the 1,200 hp chain and sprockets. Apparently the differential will come sometime in August (GM's schedule). With that we will have a transaxle capable of 700 whp, a little more than the engine is capable of at 5 psi. I hope the wait has been worth it. Oh, hell, sure it has!

I'm thinking that we will go ahead with the chain and retrofit the diff, that's the fast track. Working on the new schedule now. For all of you holding your breath, don't! Parts are the holdup, not Loyde! Loyde has been really patient!
Old 07-11-2005, 09:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Finally! DynoTech is shipping the trans parts this week - GM has delivered. The wait has caused a long delay and has shot our schedule to hell, but I think it's worth it! The new chain and sprockets are rated a conservative 700 whp in a 3600 pound car! Even though we had to shelve the project for a couple of months waiting for parts and putting others in front, it's been worth it! Hi-yo Silver, away! More to come. Soon, I hope, but you can't eat the cake until it's ready to come out of the oven! lol.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:38 PM
11 Second Club

damit i saw finally and i thought it was finnally DONE.....
Old 07-11-2005, 10:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jaberwaki
damit i saw finally and i thought it was finnally DONE.....
You've been a true fan. I WISH I had THE good news. Sorry it's just the next step!

Ain't hot-roddin' wunnerful? lol.
Old 07-15-2005, 07:37 PM
TECH Regular

what a waste
Old 07-15-2005, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JCS30TH
what a waste
...of perfectly good server space for your post...

Looks like those tranny parts are pretty beefy from what I'm seeing on ClubGP. Maybe we'll have to line up your LS1 car against my lowly V6.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:09 PM
11 Second Club

ttt update?
Old 07-20-2005, 06:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by digitalsolo
...of perfectly good server space for your post...

Looks like those tranny parts are pretty beefy from what I'm seeing on ClubGP. Maybe we'll have to line up your LS1 car against my lowly V6.
Don't get me started (or try to suck me in) about "lowly" V6's! I got a LOT of respect for what they can do! for instance, can you say, "Turbo Regal"? lol

Jab, we got parts yesterday! The critical parts (spockets and chain) are here. The GM torsen diff is due in about 2-3 weeks. The GM parts are supposed to be good for about 700 WHP in a 3800 pound car! But we have an Intense Gen I diff (not the timebomb one) with new posi plates in it to run until then. The rest is still the HiPro trans that DynoTech put together about 3 months ago. We just have to clear out the other work in Loyde's shop so I can get back into line.

BTW, the exhaust parts we got back from JetHot, look OEM. Loyde is a real craftsman.
Hold on, it's happening!
Old 07-20-2005, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm just giving ya crap about the V6 bit.

That Gen I diff is pretty decent, I've had one for about 20K miles, lots of hard launches, no issues.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:54 PM
11 Second Club

good to go..... i cant believe i am actually excited like it was my car
Old 07-21-2005, 07:41 PM
11 Second Club

so what all were the parts that you used from the ls1 imp that GM put togather?? im interested in doing a swap like this in my 99 buick regal w-body. haha that would be a real sleeper. well i guess i have plenty of research time...... ill have no money till after college, living on mom and dad's dime untill then. in the imp how did they mate the engine and trans?? did they machine the back of the block to be the same as the v6?? well anyway i hope the best for you and this swap!! get it goin so we can get some 1/4 mile times!! think it'll hit high 10's??
Old 07-22-2005, 12:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by xbadfishx17x
so what all were the parts that you used from the ls1 imp that GM put togather?? im interested in doing a swap like this in my 99 buick regal w-body. haha that would be a real sleeper. well i guess i have plenty of research time...... ill have no money till after college, living on mom and dad's dime untill then. in the imp how did they mate the engine and trans?? did they machine the back of the block to be the same as the v6?? well anyway i hope the best for you and this swap!! get it goin so we can get some 1/4 mile times!! think it'll hit high 10's??
Well, guy, not to give you any bad news, but the only GM parts that we used were the harmonic balancer and the front serpentine accessory drive fittings (castings and stuff). The flexplate is a FastFieros totally custom part designed to mate the stock LS1 block to the transaxle TC with a custom trans-to-block adaptor plate like they do with many custom swaps. Almost everything is custom designed by Loyde to fit this particular setup. I wish I could give you a list of GM pn's to buy, but they just aren't there. If you want to do this later, budget about $12K to start, because the engine isn't the only thing to address. I've got more than that in it now less some of the stuff I've sold, but it IS the prototype. Finish college, make your folks proud and then do the deed if you still think you'd like it. You and your parents will both be a lot happier, and richer. lol Good luck on your degree and a fine GPA. HTH

High 10's? I'd like to think so. Probably more like 11's N/A. Now with the STS turbo and about 580 whp, who knows... Ahhhhh, to imagine! lol

Last edited by TeeKay; 07-22-2005 at 12:46 AM.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jaberwaki
good to go..... i cant believe i am actually excited like it was my car
Well, I'm almost excited like it was MY car. It's taken a lot longer to develop than I thought it would going in, so sometimes I wonder if it still is mine! Oh hell, you know what I mean! It's getting there!
Old 11-21-2005, 02:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Hi, all. This is an update with not much to show in the way of pictures. Oh, so much has happened in the last 4 months. I wish it had been finishing, but it has been replanning and retrenching to make this all come together.

Trans: well GM Racing has come out with some very strong parts for the 4T65-HD transaxle this year! The chain is good for 700 whp in a 3600 lb car! Not even thought of 8 months ago. We have all the GMR parts now in hand ready to install except for the torsen diff. We'll run a stock diff with the latest clutches until then. This has been the real hangup for most of the time. However the power capacity target has moved from about 650 chp to about 850 chp because of the stronger parts. If all works as planned (yeah, right), that's up from 525 to about 680 whp! Yessir, turbo in the works! We'll be N/A until spring though.

Engine: the front bracketry that were from the Impala proto needed some minor mods, which Loyde took care of, but we had a real "Omigod" in something as simple as the rocker arms! I started with the Harland Sharp rollers. Nice pieces, but they needed the center bolt valve covers to fit properly. The attempts to make them work with the perimeter bolt covers I had led to billet machined spacers for the valve covers after ruining a set of the OEM stuff. Domino no. 2: the higher valve covers wouldn't clear the GM front bracketry without major surgery to the brackets that arch over the covers. Not cool! We finally decided to go back to stock rocker arms ($500 goof) after looking at the unattractive alternatives of cutting and welding the slick brackets.

Suspension: the FWD lower A-arms and bushings are the major power transmitter for the power to the wheels. After some head scratching about how to strengthen that area we got some old Thrasher Engineering Performance anti-torque-steer rods that tie the arms to the cradle without affecting suspension travel. A little welding and rigging and we are in business there.

All this time, Loyde has had to run his business (nuisance, ain't it - lol). Yeah, I know this is a secondary thing, but he seemed to think it was important. Go figure. So he took in work and made commitments to his other customers. He's finishing that stuff so he can start back on my little project. The latest schedule is Christmas. Damn, Santa better come up my tailpipe! Seriously, Loyde has been as supportive as anyone could wish. I can't say enough good things about the guy.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:38 AM
11 Second Club

thanks for the update! please keep up informed i think this project is awesome! i really wish you guys luck in getting it done by Christmas, i really want to see some numbers out of this thing. good luck,
Kyle
Old 11-24-2005, 11:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Humming Bird
thanks for the update! please keep up informed i think this project is awesome! i really wish you guys luck in getting it done by Christmas, i really want to see some numbers out of this thing. good luck,
Kyle
You and me too, Humming Bird. I'll keep us all posted. Don't worry, you'll hear the noise all the way from TX to CA when it's done!
Old 12-05-2005, 03:26 PM
11 Second Club

TTT. update?? oh and how did your other engine swap go with your son's car and your old l67?? what exactly is left on your swap??
thanks,
kyle

Quick Reply: Finally, The Time Has Come - W-Body LS1!