Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does this look ok? My oil pan mod for tacoma

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2004, 01:36 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Does this look ok? My oil pan mod for tacoma

Well I have got the pan cut out, and the engine fits in ok, with the pan cut like this, I am going to move the pickup to the very back of the pan. Does this look like it will be ok, as far as oil flow to the pickup, I think under acceleration, the oil should still have no problem getting to the pickup, and under braking, the hump might actually kind of hold oil in the pickup area. I had to notch it to clear the tacoma's steering rack.

Old 12-11-2004, 02:44 PM
Teching In

you might want to make sure to use aluminum tubing, you dont want to weld together two types of material. also, set it up on a jig so you dont warp the pan, they lose their strength one they are cut, and the heat tends to warp the mounting surface
Old 12-11-2004, 04:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For what it's worth, I'd make the front of the pan flat from the top of that notch that you cut forward...you're liable to see more force braking than accelerating, and I think that could cause you to starve the engine of oil...I wouldn't take that risk if it were me.
Old 12-12-2004, 10:36 AM
On The Tree

Default this may seem dumb but

wont you have traped oil that wont circulate properly
Old 12-12-2004, 11:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Have you looked at the truck designed oil pans for the ls1 ?
Old 12-12-2004, 01:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice work so far, I would also tap another drain plug on the front side of the tube as there will be a good half litre of oil that wont be able to get drained other wise.

Can you not use a camaro pan or a GTO 04 front pickup pan to start with, there not as deep and you could probably get away with a much smaller notch.
Old 12-12-2004, 02:14 PM
Launching!

I used aluminum 6061 pipe, and I am going to get it proffesionally welded. I too was wondering about the trapped oil, but I figured that all the sloshing around would keep it mixed up pretty good, and the extra drian plug is a pretty good Idea, since I am going to have to add one anyway, I will probably just put one there too. I think the truck pan has a deeper rear sump, which would probably help me gain some oil volume back, but I would still have to notch the pan out so I figured I would just keep what I have. I bet the gto pan would have worked, but I had already modified the crossmember in the truck, for this pan, but the gto pan probably would have been a better, choice, and a lot less trouble. This truck will be mostly a daily driver, weekend dragger, so I sure hope it will be o.k. Could be an expensive lesson if it isn't!!
Old 12-12-2004, 05:24 PM
Launchin It!

What about using a dual oil pick up?
Old 12-12-2004, 11:46 PM
Launching!

Whoah! I never thought about that, That would elimenate any problem about starvation if the oil wasn't where it needed to be. I really think it will be ok as it is, but I might see about trying that. The more I think about it, the more I wish I would have just bought a gto pan. Also could the pan be bolted down to the block and welded, to make kind of a "jig", and lessen the chances of warping?
Old 12-13-2004, 01:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The pan needs to be bolted down to something, a junk block would be ideal.
Old 12-13-2004, 12:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Dual pickup on any kind of pump is a nightmare, I'd shy away from that idea. If one port uncovers it will suck air.

Quick Reply: Does this look ok? My oil pan mod for tacoma