Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on a tank mods to run fuel injection.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2005, 03:33 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Thoughts on a tank mods to run fuel injection.

I'm doing a 01 LQ4 conversion into my 81Z and was going to use the edelbrock LSx carb kit 7118. I keep thinking about fuel injection but the cost of the FI conversion in a carbed car always seems to get in the way. Could I just weld one of those sump kits that summit sells to my stock 81 tank and use an aeromotive A1000 pulling through the stock 81 pickup, or do I need to also add baffles around the pickup? I was also thinking of buying a 98 metal tank and grafting in the bottom with the factory sump and baffles to my 81 tank.
Old 01-22-2005, 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welding in the summit sump and running an external pump will work! I see that your making the car so it also handles...You'll want to baffle your tank. The 98 tank and grafting it onto yours....seems like quite a bit more work, HOWEVER its now an intank so the pump will last longer. I'm in the same boat right now. I'm thinking of grafting an intake pump into my stock tank and getting it baffled. I can get the fab work done for very cheap(hook ups hehe)

-Matt
Old 01-23-2005, 05:58 AM
TECH Resident

The conversion really isn't hard at all. Like you mentioned you have to get by the fuel tank issue though. Perhaps the easiest and best way to go would be a fuel cell. If that is something you don't want to do you can just modify your existing tank. You can just weld (carefully) a NPT female fitting, or a 8 AN male fitting somewhere close to the bottom most of your tank. Doing that is kinda tricky because of starvation problems. Putting the bung in the rear most center of the tank towards it's bottom would probiably solve that problem for the most part. http://www.russellperformance.com/au...l_manage.shtml
Old 01-24-2005, 07:24 PM
Launching!

I know I can get a sump put in my tank but I'm not sure how the baffles should look. I want to corner, accelerate, and brake this thing hard so I can't have any fuel starvation issues. Still looking for a cheap way to have a proper EFI fuel tank.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Zed,

I am right where you are! Can someone post up how to baffle the tank(where baffles should be, any doors, etc) so both of us can get this one.

-Matt
Old 01-24-2005, 07:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/ubbthre...fpart=all&vc=1

Traditional hot rods, but should be a good guide.
Old 01-25-2005, 12:39 PM
Launching!

Mike, I spoke to a friend who put a LT1 in his '79 Camaro, North Road radiator in Coquitlam modded his stock tank and built him a custom aluminum radiator to work. Maybe give them a shout and see what they say, I was going to call them when I got closer to that time.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:44 PM
12 Second Club

If you buy a sump from comp engineering it comes with a template to drill a bunch of 2.5" holes in the tank, this is supposed to act like having a baffle. I guess you could get creative and add some baffle "doors" like a aftermarket oil pan has.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:46 PM
12 Second Club

where are you getting your suspension parts? I am having a hard time finding good aftermarket front A-arms.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:35 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to have to do some more research on the baffles but I've got a better idea of what they should look like.

81ls1 - I'm not sure who you were asking but I'm geting alot of my suspension parts from Global West. They have tubular upper and lower arms for 81 camaros.
Old 01-26-2005, 11:04 AM
Staging Lane

I've never had much luck with a non-fuel injection tank modified with either a sump or a baffle. My LS1 is used off-road and in unusual attitudes I can defeat the baffle and starve the motor. I always worry about ground clearance with the sump that is built into the bottom of the tank and I've been able to run them dry too in extreme positiions.

The rock-crawler cars with fuel injection sometimes use an external sump fed by a Delco/Carter high GPH low pressure pump, then plumb the bottom of the external sump to the high pressure fuel pump and the return to the top of the external fuel sump. At the top of the tank is a return line to the main tank, so the sump is always full.

I did the same thing on my car and my external pump is about a quart of fuel and made from a piece of aluminum pipe about 5" in diameter and a $65 low pressure boost pump from Summit. Short of rolling the car, the suction side of the high pressure pump is always in fuel (don't ask how I know this) If you think you might want to try idea on your car and want a picture, PM me.

Phil
Old 01-26-2005, 11:10 AM
Staging Lane

I've never had much luck with a non-fuel injection tank modified with either a sump or a baffle. My LS1 is used off-road and in unusual attitudes I can defeat the baffle and starve the motor. I always worry about ground clearance with the sump that is built into the bottom of the tank and I've been able to run them dry too in extreme positiions.

The rock-crawler cars with fuel injection sometimes use an external sump fed by a Delco/Carter high GPH low pressure pump, then plumb the bottom of the external sump to the high pressure fuel pump and the return to the top of the external fuel sump. At the top of the tank is a return line to the main tank, so the sump is always full.

I did the same thing on my car and my external pump is about a quart of fuel and made from a piece of aluminum pipe about 5" in diameter and a $65 low pressure boost pump from Summit. Short of rolling the car, the suction side of the fuel injection pump is always in fuel (don't ask how I know this) If you think you might want to try the external sump idea on your car and want a picture, PM me.

Phil
Old 01-26-2005, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1Sandrail

I did the same thing on my car and my external pump is about a quart of fuel and made from a piece of aluminum pipe about 5" in diameter and a $65 low pressure boost pump from Summit. Short of rolling the car, the suction side of the fuel injection pump is always in fuel (don't ask how I know this) If you think you might want to try the external sump idea on your car and want a picture, PM me.

Phil
I'll send you a PM I'm interested. However I think its overkill for our application. Theres cars out there pulling some very nice #'s in the corners with a factory tank.(IE Vette)

-Matt
Old 01-27-2005, 12:21 PM
Staging Lane

I hear you on the overkill aspect. I've also done some fuel injection conversions on other cars and used the tank as-is. It generally worked pretty well but if the tank got lower than about a quarter full and you did some hard cornering the engine would starve.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-27-2005, 12:24 PM
Staging Lane

By the way, the bottom fitting on the sump feeds the fuel injection pump. The three top fittings are inflow from the low pressure pump, inflow from the bypass off of the Corvette regulator/filter, and overflow back into the main fuel tank.
Old 01-27-2005, 12:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

whoa. way overkill for most of us, but someone going offroading would LOVE that.. lol.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:04 PM
Staging Lane

I run a Jeep Wrangler and I need to figure out a solution for my fuel system. This is perfect.

How did you seal the canister and still allow it to be servicable?

How did you get the ends (bungs?) to be able to install AN fittings on there?
Old 12-15-2006, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

comp engineering's sump kit worked well for me. done donuts and multiple 130+mph runs and no fuel starvation.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:09 AM
Staging Lane

google doesn't seem to find comp engineering. Do they have a web site?

Nevermind... I found it, and that's not going to work for me.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:06 PM
Launching!

i sent a new tank and walbro 255 to ricks hot rods where they installed it with baffleing for about 300. this is for my 73 firebird with a 408 lsx.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on a tank mods to run fuel injection.