Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

plug and play harness

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005 | 07:52 PM
On The Tree

Default plug and play harness

is speartech the only real option out there for this? i would like to have a plug and play harness that works with all my factory guages (as many as possible) and have a worry free install but the $1,100 for the harness has me wondering if it's worth keeping the guages.

is speartech the only company right now doing such a complete harness?
Old 03-29-2005 | 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think S+P also offers custom harnesses. But their price is similar to Speartech. The price I got from Speartech was $750 am I missing something? Reprogram of the PCM was $300.

Pat
Old 03-29-2005 | 08:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Stu Cool
I think S+P also offers custom harnesses. But their price is similar to Speartech. The price I got from Speartech was $750 am I missing something? Reprogram of the PCM was $300.

Pat
$450 to rework existing harness. however this means you'll have to have the ecm in the engine bay or if you want to cut up your fire wall i was told that the ecm can be fit behind the right cylinder head if you make a hole...

for me this is not an option to cut up the car and i need the engine bay clean as possible so i want the computer somewhere inside the car which requires it to be lengthened. this automatically puts me at $750 for the brand new harness which will reach where i need be.

$300 is to tie in/adapt their new $750 ls1 harness into my 91 camaro harness so that my factory guages and everything will be plug and play.. this is what i thought the $450-$750 was for but i guess not.

then i was told another 50-$100 depending on if things need to be fixed or otherwise.

so basically $1,100 for a new ls1 harness from them and then using part of my 91 camaro harness. $450 seems a bit much but i understand the work needed and $750 is even high but again if it's lenthened and all brand new why not? $1,100+ just seems to much and then i have to split up my tpi harness as well which is why i'm just trying to get an idea. if it's honestly that much work then i'm all for it but what originally was $450 and now has jumped to $1,100 it has me second guessing now.
Old 03-30-2005 | 03:46 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

That's pretty much a standard price , not high at all . These swaps ain't cheap.
Old 03-30-2005 | 07:52 AM
11 Second Club

If I am not mistaken "Painless" makes an LS-1 swap harness and "Caspers Electronics" does very good custom work as well. Maybe you could get a quote from one of them as well. Hope this helps.

Jim
Old 03-30-2005 | 08:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1hot91
$450 to rework existing harness. however this means you'll have to have the ecm in the engine bay or if you want to cut up your fire wall i was told that the ecm can be fit behind the right cylinder head if you make a hole...

for me this is not an option to cut up the car and i need the engine bay clean as possible so i want the computer somewhere inside the car which requires it to be lengthened. this automatically puts me at $750 for the brand new harness which will reach where i need be.

$300 is to tie in/adapt their new $750 ls1 harness into my 91 camaro harness so that my factory guages and everything will be plug and play.. this is what i thought the $450-$750 was for but i guess not.

then i was told another 50-$100 depending on if things need to be fixed or otherwise.

so basically $1,100 for a new ls1 harness from them and then using part of my 91 camaro harness. $450 seems a bit much but i understand the work needed and $750 is even high but again if it's lenthened and all brand new why not? $1,100+ just seems to much and then i have to split up my tpi harness as well which is why i'm just trying to get an idea. if it's honestly that much work then i'm all for it but what originally was $450 and now has jumped to $1,100 it has me second guessing now.

if you're willing to put a hole under the AC/Heater box (where you cant see it anyway), you can run the stock harness....

but if its a showcar....... thats the price of a showcar.

honestly, i think its neater to have it tuck into the firewall behind the motor, then it is to have the harness go across the fender like OEM, but thats just a prefrence thing..

really, with the exception of the tach, everything is straightforward to wire into a 91 camaro... and the tach only needs a $30 "black box" to work...

PM me if you want details about what i had to do to get mine done...
Old 03-31-2005 | 04:56 PM
12 Second Club

wont speartech extend the wires on a reworked harness? I thought they would do it if you wanted to, but I could be very wrong.
Old 03-31-2005 | 07:23 PM
Restricted User

I used the 99 dash,the whole harness,and put ECM on top
of 99 AC. It did not fit behind fender like stock because
of hood hinges.It was alot of work but cost little. I made
a cover for ECM that has a laser cut bird on it.pic
Old 04-01-2005 | 01:46 PM
Launching!

Default topic was on the board days ago

You might wanna wait on the new painless stuff, contact john from speartech or use the cool GM option factor..LOL!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps/40554-painless-now-has-wiring-setup-ls1.html
Old 04-03-2005 | 04:49 PM
On The Tree

thank you for the responses everyone. i'm not sure what to do now... i figured i could stuff the ecm under one of my fender wells but i'd really rather have it in the interior. just seems that what i thought was $450 to modify my harness so that it would work with my car seemed fair. however it's really $450 plus my part of my vehicle harness and another $300.

wiring is extremely important, i don't doubt that. i'm just beginning to wonder as they told me initially $450 to rewire the factory harness to work with my car if i wanted to save a few or $750 for their new one. sounds fair. but then it's $300 plus part of my stock factory harness to truly make it work for my car. if this is the case then what is the first $450 for?

o'well.. on to new ideas then. thanks everyone!

Old 04-03-2005 | 08:28 PM
TECH Resident

Might try Current Performance Wiring, they offer custom harnesses of all sorts. Maybe they can do something for you. A lot of the guys on the S-series boards use them for custom stuff, and I have helped a few personally that have used them with pretty good success.
Old 04-04-2005 | 01:07 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jones'n
Might try Current Performance Wiring, they offer custom harnesses of all sorts. Maybe they can do something for you. A lot of the guys on the S-series boards use them for custom stuff, and I have helped a few personally that have used them with pretty good success.
thanks for the suggestion, i'll look into it.

Old 04-04-2005 | 02:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I tucked my pcm on the little shelf right next to the coolant overflow resevoir(sp?). I just moved the ac line that goes to the condenser over a little because im not using it right now, but when I will be using it I will just bend it around the pcm. Everyone said not to put it there, but It tucks in there pretty nicely and I didnt need to extend the wires or anything. Id like to make a little box for it or something, but ill address that at a later date. For a show car? No, but it works. Ill try and get some pics up of it later...

**Heres a pic...

Last edited by 92CamaroReallySlow; 04-04-2005 at 03:04 AM.
Old 04-05-2005 | 09:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I got the LS1 harness-rework option with all emissions stuff intact for $750. Although it's not done yet, I was told I just have to tie the labelled wires into my stock gauges (with adapters for the tach and speedo) and everything is supposed to work just fine.
Old 04-18-2005 | 09:21 PM
Teching In

Hey guy , I've been doing all of the footwork and phone calling etc. to find out how to get an LS1 into my chevy pickup . I've gotten a lot of conflicting information , to say the least !! But ,there's hope ! I found out about a guy through an Ls1 resale site I found on EBay called Tennesee auto sales that they deal with and I've spoken to him . His name is Dana Dash (cool name for what he does too ) and he takes the LS1 harness and your harness from your car and grafts them together . He claims that when it' s done , it's plug and play .You don't have to do anything but hook it up . He charges about $550 and there could be a few other miscellaneous charges as well . He can eliminate the rear O2 sensor wires without the ECM setting a code and you won't have to reprog your ECM either . I think this is the way I'm going to go . His site is LT1350.com . Good luck
Old 04-19-2005 | 04:00 PM
Launching!

Yeah they are pretty cool guys to work with, but wasnt completely satisfied with my harness by them. Although it did work, I thought it left out quite a bit. I guess I am just picky though. FYI to you 3rd gen swap guys and everyone else contemplating a swap in the near future. I will be starting up my own wiring services for stand alone wiring harnesses and I will also be making a COMPLETE plug & play harness for the 3rd gen camaros among others. If anyone is interested just send me a pm, and I will get back to you as soon as I can. But as far as swapping motors goes, I will be working with gen 3 motors (vette, camaro, truck), the new gen 4 ls2/ls7, lt1/lt4, gm vortec(96-98), trailblazer 4.2 I6, viper 8.0 v10, and I might be tampering a little bit with the 04-up cobra motors. Keep in mind I wont be taking any orders until Thanksgiving of this coming fall/winter, but you never know, it might be worth the wait.

Regards,
Remington
Old 05-07-2005 | 03:59 AM
TECH Addict

Some good info on here seems like the best thing to do is to give speartech a call.
Old 05-07-2005 | 11:05 AM
Launching!

do it yourself!!!! its not rocket science haha just get the pinouts from ls2.com could not take you more than 2 hrs
Old 05-07-2005 | 11:35 AM
Launching!

do it yourself!!!! its not rocket science haha just get the pinouts from ls2.com could not take you more than 2 hrs

..........hahahah!
Old 05-07-2005 | 02:42 PM
On The Tree

I just received my reworked harness last week from John @ Speartech. It is definately a nice piece.

I asked John about lengthening the harness to allow for mounting the PCM inside. He said the cost to do that would be about the same for him to fab up a complete harness.

John told me that if you drill straight back from the passenger side head through the firewall, you'll have about 2 feet of wire to play with PCM mounting.

To rework my harness John charged $450. All the factory plugs are retained, plus he includes a relay for the fuel pump, a fuse panel, and a PCM test port with a SES light. He also labeled all the wires for the speedo, tach, fans, a/c switch, ignition, 12V, starter, fuel pump, reverse lights, and a couple other things I can't remember.

I'd say it was well worth it. Now if I could just find out how to wire this thing in, I'd be set!

Quick Reply: plug and play harness