Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 VDO oil sending unit.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005 | 07:27 PM
Staging Lane

Default LS1 VDO oil sending unit.

Hey guys has anyone used this plug for the VDO oil sending unit? Would anyone know where else you can mount it. I know there is a spot on the rear head (well in my case it is the front) but the hole is alot smaller then the VDO sender.

More photos www.jtm311.com

Thanks,
Guys
John
Old 04-27-2005 | 11:48 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

are you using the stock sending unit on the back of the block?
if not, id get an adapter and put it there. using the location of that plug in the pic might get in the way of accessories.
good luck.
Old 04-28-2005 | 06:30 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks For the info. I'm using the standard one and I had to turn that on 90 deg. so it would work. However, that one is just for the PCM I have VDO gauges which I need their unit. Nothing as far as I can tell is near this plug, So does this mean it can be used?

Thanks,
John
Old 04-28-2005 | 08:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

I don't know about using that plug but I put my Autometer sender in the block above the oil filter. Drill and tap it 1/8NPT and the sender screws right in. This is where the Corvette has the oil temp sensor.
Old 04-28-2005 | 04:40 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Scooter70
I don't know about using that plug but I put my Autometer sender in the block above the oil filter. Drill and tap it 1/8NPT and the sender screws right in. This is where the Corvette has the oil temp sensor.
he is correct. its located directly above the oil filter. it bolts on, i would take it off to do any drilling.
good luck.
Old 04-28-2005 | 05:21 PM
TECH Junkie
20 Year Member

You may want to get some brass pipe fitting 90's to tuck the sensor up closer to the block and away from your headers.

ie: http://www.torquecentral.com/attachm...achmentid=8061

I called LG Motorsports and they mentioned putting the temp sensor in where the front brass plug screws in of the engine block. It is 1/8" NPT. My alternator brace looks to be in the way... but I haven't closely looked.

I want to have VDO oil pressure/temp and water temp guages. Getting rid of all the dummy guages.

-Mark
Old 04-28-2005 | 05:49 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys I think I will go with the location over the oil filter. Does the ECM need the signal from the old stock one?

How about the water temp? I know of the location on the head but to small for the sending unit.
Old 04-28-2005 | 07:22 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by jtm311
Thanks guys I think I will go with the location over the oil filter. Does the ECM need the signal from the old stock one?

How about the water temp? I know of the location on the head but to small for the sending unit.
ECM needs both signals.
autometer makes a 12x1.5x1/8" adapter that will fit in the plug on the passenger side of the head, or behind the starter on the block.
Old 04-28-2005 | 07:46 PM
Staging Lane

Hello TJ

Thanks is the plug behind the starter the one that faces down ? If so this would work great because I'm not using the LS1 starter I have a porsche one.
Sorry I should have also mentioned that I have a stand alone wiring harness done by speartech.

John
Old 04-28-2005 | 08:49 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Hello TJ

Thanks is the plug behind the starter the one that faces down ? If so this would work great because I'm not using the LS1 starter I have a porsche one.
Sorry I should have also mentioned that I have a stand alone wiring harness done by speartech.

John
porsche starter, eh? how does that work.
from what ive seen in my own search button hell, the guys who run auto tap and HP tuners say that the temp only varies 1-2 degrees from the head to the block, so its safe pretty much anywhere. havent seen anything negative excpet you have to be extremely careful with the adapter fittings, as they are brass and fragile.
dont over torque.
Old 04-28-2005 | 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

The PCM doesn't care about the oil pressure. The sensor only feeds the gauge.

I drilled and tapped the hole in the passenger head to put the temp sender for my gauge. The stock sender is still feeding the PCM (it does need coolant temp though).
Old 04-29-2005 | 10:02 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TJ
porsche starter, eh? how does that work.
from what ive seen in my own search button hell, the guys who run auto tap and HP tuners say that the temp only varies 1-2 degrees from the head to the block, so its safe pretty much anywhere. havent seen anything negative excpet you have to be extremely careful with the adapter fittings, as they are brass and fragile.
dont over torque.
TJ
Yes I'm using a Porsch 915 Tranny this is going into a Lamborghini Diablo. You can see more here www.jtm311.com thanks for the help.
John
Old 04-29-2005 | 10:06 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Scooter70
The PCM doesn't care about the oil pressure. The sensor only feeds the gauge.

I drilled and tapped the hole in the passenger head to put the temp sender for my gauge. The stock sender is still feeding the PCM (it does need coolant temp though).

Hey Scooter thanks I had a hell of a time making the stock water temp sender work because I turned the manifold around, but I got it I don't know if I want to drill out the head I think I'm going to try the one facing down behind the starter.

John
Old 04-29-2005 | 02:10 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Hey Scooter thanks I had a hell of a time making the stock water temp sender work because I turned the manifold around, but I got it I don't know if I want to drill out the head I think I'm going to try the one facing down behind the starter.

John
lambo is gonna be sweet when finished.
you dont have to drill the head out at all, there is a plug(allen type) that unscrews and you can put the adapter in there.
if the block is a better choice, then i say do it(less wires showing) but the head option is there without drilling.
have fun with it
Old 04-29-2005 | 04:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Does anyone have a picture of the adaptor for the head, as I had to drill an adaptor out for my sender to slot thru and there is not much metal left, its very thin wall and thread on the outside.
Old 04-29-2005 | 04:57 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by GTS346
Does anyone have a picture of the adaptor for the head, as I had to drill an adaptor out for my sender to slot thru and there is not much metal left, its very thin wall and thread on the outside.
i had to drill my adapter out as well for the sender to fit.

install the sendor in the adapter, then put it in the head as one piece. if you try to torque the sendor once the fitting is installed, it might break.
installing it as one should be good to go. im going to put mine in now.
Old 04-29-2005 | 11:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I did mine 3 weeks back, the adaptor is a pressure fitting, so it has a small hole, but there isnt much room for error when drilling out the hole.

It placed the sender and adaptor together and sealed with loctite then installed as 1 unit to save it from crushing.

Quick Reply: LS1 VDO oil sending unit.