Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is your conversion a daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 11:50 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is your conversion a daily driver?

Hey guys - I've been browsing the site for a couple of years trying to decide which route to go: LS1 or small block for my 1966 El Camino.

Basically I'm about a week away from purchasing this motor ($6700 shipped):

The biggest downfall I see is, after I slap in this approx. 430hp beast, I'm not going to use this car as a daily driver. But what I really want IS a daily driver, and that's why I've been trying to learn more about the LS1 and six-speed package. I've been browsing eBay for the past 3 or 4 years - and it seems that I can get into an LS1 motor and trans cheaper that I could with the small block package.

So my question(s) to you conversion folks is this:

1) Is your conversion vehicle a daily driver?
2) How much are you into the project? (if you're willing to share)
3) Do you constantly have to "tweak" on things to maintain your dd?
4) Would you do it again if you could go back?
5) What is your conversion vehicle?

Thanks,
Anthony
Old 07-15-2005, 12:03 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My daily driver is a '98 LS1/ T56 into an 89 RX7. The conversion cost about $5500 (I already had the RX7). It's been on the road for only a few months but hasn't required any tweaking. It's really a great car to drive, wouldn't have it any other way !!
Old 07-15-2005, 02:00 PM
On The Tree

The Cutlass in my sig is my daily driver. The motor/trans swap itself ended up being about $6k. The odds and ends have a habit of adding up quick. I've put about 20k miles on it in the past 2 years back and forth to work, and beating on it at the strip. No issues or problems at all, just routine maintenance. The S-15 I'm working on now used to be my daily driver. I put a TPI L-98 in it in 1990 and drove it for ten years and 100k miles with only routine maintenance. Both have A/C and all the creature comforts. You can't beat a fuel injected motor for everyday use. You will need to take your time and iron out the details the first go round, because if you half-*** it just to get it running, everything you didn't do right will come back to haunt you at the most inopportune time.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by petroltherapy

Thanks,
Anthony

1. yes. ive been daily driving it for awhile now. i absolutely love it. all the power of a hot SBC, but im getting mid to low 20 MPG with how i drive.. when i spend the last 1/4 tank at the dragstrip, i still have a 18mpg total for the tank.. lol... and on the last hwy only roadtrip tank, i hit 30mpg even!
2. the cost of the engine/trans/harness + about 1000 in parts
3. amazingly, no. only times ive opened the hood is to check on it(paranoia), check fluids, and to show it off.. lol.
4 YES. like anything else, my next time around, i feel i could do it cheaper and better, but i have zero regret. im seriously considering converting my backup daily driver (that i haven't driven since this started being my DD) to LS1 power... probably slightly different mod route though.
5. 1991 camaro convertible.... drivetrain is from a 2002 fbody
Old 07-16-2005, 12:32 AM
Teching In

I've had my LS1/4L60E on the road for 4 months. Granted that isn't alot of time, but I have had NO problems. It runs great all the time, no stalling at lights, no rough running till it warms up, no flat spots in acceleration. Basically fuel injection is great! I would never want to go back to a carb. On top of that you will dump a bunch of weight by going aluminum.
Old 07-16-2005, 12:44 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah I made up my mind today after talking with John at Speartech. LS1 for sure. I'd still like to hear about your guys' conversions though - and thanks to those who have responded - definitely sounds like it's a worthwhile effort.
Old 07-16-2005, 03:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I have done several ls1, lt1 conversions for customers in a couple of s-10s and montecarlos. All have run beautiful and one ls1 I did in 99 now has over 120 k on the clock in a 97 s-10. Minimal service and very streetable as daily drivers. The motor you were looking at sure does seem like a lot of dought to spend for a carb but it is your money and can spend it as you see fit.
Old 07-16-2005, 03:53 PM
On The Tree

I've only been driving mine for a week but I can say "no regrets" - what I'm really wondering is why I didn't do this years ago. I'm done with the hydraulic lifters and flat tappet cams . And thirsty , constant tuning carbs. I'm probably $7000.00 into mine. I love driving it and I don't even have my interior in it !! The bodywork still needs to be done (
Old 07-16-2005, 09:07 PM
On The Tree

I've done my conversion w/ engine mods (see sig) and except for a few of my own blunders, has been reliable as well as the most fuel efficient vehicle I own! (25 MPG combined).
Old 07-17-2005, 10:01 AM
Launching!

1. Yes, its been my daily for two years now.
2. Somewhere around 10k over a couple of years. Give or take on the Ks and the years.
3. Nope, unless its to correct a mistake that I made somewhere along the way. It runs great.
4. I would have waited until finishing college to do it. My financial situation at the time could have been better.
5. Shes a 1967 Camaro with a late 98 or early 99 LS1 and T56
Old 07-17-2005, 12:34 PM

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes! 4 years now!!!
about $9k initially....here's a detailed breakdown http://home.earthlink.net/~bzdel/PhaseISwapCost.htm
Never, reliability is awesome!
Would have borrowed mony and did it sooner!!!
See signature block...
Old 07-17-2005, 08:14 PM
Staging Lane

Right on guys - I'm getting more amped here.

01WS6/tamu - yeah it does seem a little high compared to the masses that are sold on eBay - but basically it's from a shop with a long history, good reputation and it's a complete package ready to slap in. Nothing to buy - just hook up fuel and battery - slap on exhaust and it'll fire.

But that doesn't matter now - I'm going to get this LS1 thing happening. I'll keep the progress listed on here.

I'm going to start calling people from that other thread where people were listing LS1 sources.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 169 Likes on 111 Posts

If you want it as a daily driver go EFI and LS1 for sure. I drive mine about 90 miles/day as a pure commuter and race about 1x month on the local road race tracks in NorCal.

IMO a cam under a 230* is good for a daily driver. 112 cams have a mean idle which can get old after a while with the car shaking at stop lights and more mid/top end power. A 114 will idle near stock and have better low/mid range power.

LS1/T56 takeouts can be found for $3500-5500 delivered. GM's best engine thus far.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:30 PM
TECH Resident

Yep, mine is a daily driver, been on the road since the middle of March....now has 4000 miles on it. We've been all over California and Nevada in the beast and even made five passes at the dragstrip two weeks ago. Since this was a hot rod buildup I have over $30k in the whole car. I haven't seen too many cars that will do a 100 mph quarter mile, get 25 mpg and draw a crowd like a K-Mart blue light special. My wife and I just drive it...........and enjoy it. The LS-1 just purrs like a kitten.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Oscar Will
Yep, mine is a daily driver, been on the road since the middle of March....now has 4000 miles on it. We've been all over California and Nevada in the beast and even made five passes at the dragstrip two weeks ago. Since this was a hot rod buildup I have over $30k in the whole car. I haven't seen too many cars that will do a 100 mph quarter mile, get 25 mpg and draw a crowd like a K-Mart blue light special. My wife and I just drive it...........and enjoy it. The LS-1 just purrs like a kitten.
Oscar, How did it run at the track? ( and which track?)
Old 07-18-2005, 10:47 PM
Staging Lane

Oscar - I'm in Simi Valley also. If you don't mind - I'd like to take a look at your LS1 '35 Ford - sounds like a cool ride! I know people used to gather at "The Hat" on Wednesday or Thursday evenings - but it looks like that went away. Also at Baja Fresh on Madera and Royal on Friday nights - let me know if you go there and I'll buzz on down and check it out.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:01 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default In the process of installing LS1 into El Camino

Hi,

After all the reseach I did I wanted the power and fuel injection the LS1 provided. John Bzdel's install and motor mounts and oil pan solved most of my installation issues and sold me on doing this swap. I am in the process of installing the LS1 and 4l60e into my 1986 El Camino (there is a post with some picture on the forum). I plan on this to continue to be my daily driver when I am done.

John at SpearTech set me up with the motor, trans, computer, wiring harness (custom), fuel filter regulator, drive by wire from a Vette, and most of the little stuff that has turned out to be a blessing. John took care of me with this setup and is more than willing to answer my questions as I complete my install.

Stay tuned as I hope to be firing it up in the near future. Still lots to do...
Old 07-19-2005, 01:12 PM
Staging Lane

That's great jdperk-86elco, I was going to ask you about John Bzdel and then I saw his post "John B" earlier. That's a nice break-down of the cost and materials used for your conversion John - very cool and might prove to be very useful.

So far I've contacted about 4 different LS1/T56 provider's and will soon have one in my garage to start the process. This is going to be fun. Challenging, but fun.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:52 PM
On The Tree

Default What prices are you being quoted?

What individual prices are you being quoted from the four sources for an LS1 T-56 combo complete with coil packs, all accessories P/S, Alternator, starter, complete wiring harness and computer PCM?

-Curious
Old 07-19-2005, 02:35 PM
TECH Resident

Although the ol' girl runs harder at sea level and lauches better when I had the "locker" in the rear....it went 14.0 and 96 mph on a nearly 100 degree day at LACR (Los Angeles Co. Raceway). That isn't altitude corrected for the 3500 ft..I made five runs, all within a couple tenths. I just pedaled it out of the gate and left if in "D" through all the runs. Kinda like a Sunday drive. I didn't know about Baja Fresh but maybe I'll take a look, I quite often show up with a bunch of "Old Skool" guys at the Donut shop by the Brunswick Bowl on Saturday mornings or the same bunch is now hangin out at the old Walck-In on Kuehner Drive on Friday nights. The new owner of the Walck-In is a led-sled old skool guy with a pretty nice Mercury.

Quick Reply: Is your conversion a daily driver?