Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Swap Question (NSX?)

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 10:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question LS1 Swap Question (NSX?)

OK ... so anything is POSSIBLE ... but would it be REASONABLE to swap an LS1 into an Acura NSX? The car suffers badly from lack of power ... and I love the power I get from my '00 Trans Am Convertible.

So, anyone know what would be involved in this? The NSX is mid-engine, rear wheel drive, which I guess would be mildly in principle the same as swapping the LS1 into the Impala, as a front-engine front-wheel drive....

Just a random thought in my head. Please email me at james.anderson.iii@gmail.com if you know how it'd go or have a better resource to point me at.

Thanks!
- James
Old 09-06-2005, 11:58 PM
Staging Lane

No way. There is no way you'd fit a LS1 in that engine compartment AND mate it up to the transaxle.

You're better off just supercharging the 6 already in the car.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:11 AM
12 Second Club

Lots of fabrication, and even more money.

But do it anyways, that'd be one sweet-*** ride.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:23 AM
TECH Regular

Defintely not the way to go for a whole bunch of reasons. Turbocharge it.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What if you put in one of those FWD V8's they have in the Grand Prix and Impala? They were designed to be transversly mounted.

Still, a set of turbos would take care of any power problems for a lot less money.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:42 AM
TECH Regular

why bother?
are you gonna find an engine-less NSX for cheap to start the project?
NOPE.

is it reasonable to do the swap?
NOPE.

just slap a Comptech supercharger on the NSX motor and go to a racetrack nearest you for some lapping days. the NSX doesnt need much more power over stock to really be a rocketship on a race track... even a relatively simple final drive swap will bring ther car to life under acceleration.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ducaT
No way. There is no way you'd fit a LS1 in that engine compartment AND mate it up to the transaxle.

You're better off just supercharging the 6 already in the car.
I don't think I'd agree with that. It's been a whie since I looked over an NSX, but there should be enough clearance. Look at it this way for comparison: I'm working on fitting an LS1 into a Fiero. I have to use a remote mount water pump and modify a F-Body oil pan, but it'll fit. The hardest part for the NSX will be mating the LS1 to the transaxle. Or maybe use a GM transaxle. If you got money to spare, go for it!
Old 09-08-2005, 10:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm sure the sound would keep people's heads spinning for days. Nobody expects a big, loping idle, and loud V8 sound of an NSX.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:02 PM
TECH Junkie

the 4T65 should work mated to a LS1 possibly in a transverse fashion. or just take the whole drivetrain out of the new impala/monte
Old 09-08-2005, 11:17 PM
Launching!

With the kind of money that YOU WILL spent on this swap and fabrication. You can make that NSX a BEAST with its stock motor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And just a reminder for you lets see two perfectly runing cars VS one car modified to hell, one car without a motor, and one expensive import motor just sitting in there. YOU DO THE MATH.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:47 PM
TECH Junkie

the LS1 would most likely be from a car that is not running, totalled due to rear end or side impact most likely.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:22 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Bimmer Tech
I don't think I'd agree with that. It's been a whie since I looked over an NSX, but there should be enough clearance. Look at it this way for comparison: I'm working on fitting an LS1 into a Fiero. I have to use a remote mount water pump and modify a F-Body oil pan, but it'll fit. The hardest part for the NSX will be mating the LS1 to the transaxle. Or maybe use a GM transaxle. If you got money to spare, go for it!
That's why I said that there is pretty much no way of getting them both to fit in the engine bay. You probably could get one or the other but not both.

Like I said, it would be better with the blower and not have to deal with the smog/emissions hassle.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Feng (peter) Zhao
With the kind of money that YOU WILL spent on this swap and fabrication. You can make that NSX a BEAST with its stock motor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And just a reminder for you lets see two perfectly runing cars VS one car modified to hell, one car without a motor, and one expensive import motor just sitting in there. YOU DO THE MATH.
isnt the nsx motor a minivan engine?
Old 09-09-2005, 05:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 8KickassRS9
isnt the nsx motor a minivan engine?
Just about. It's "tuned" differently. Oh, don't forget that the NSX motor spins CCW, as opposed to the LS1's CW rotation. It would suck to hook it up to the NSX transaxle and get 5 reverse and one forward gear.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its similar, but not the same. I bet it has different cylinder heads and a higher compression ratio. Kind of like the LS1 and the 5.3 V8 truck motor.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:56 PM
On The Tree

im doin it to my subaru WRX... only cause jap parts are too $$$$
Old 09-10-2005, 02:01 PM
Teching In

Points well made and understood. But a twin turbo set at $10k? Heck, I can get an LS1, a transaxle, a turbo/supercharger, and then some for that price.

I've seen NSXs that have had over $40,000 invested and still can't turn 11s in the quarter. I could turn 11s in the quarter by putting $5-$7k into my LS1 Trans Am. I just don't like the fact that the NSX has such a pathetic quarter-mile acceleration factor.

I understand it was designed for the track and is a God on the track. But, this would be my street driving car. Nothing worse than driving a super-hot NSX and then getting your **** handed to you by some kid in a '95 Cobra.

Thanks for the ideas. It's a future project for sure, as I just sold my Trans Am to fund hooking up my VR4 Spyder. But the NSX is a "someday" dream.

- James
Old 09-11-2005, 03:30 PM
On The Tree

youd be better off trying for a kit car...
Old 09-12-2005, 07:15 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jba3
I've seen NSXs that have had over $40,000 invested and still can't turn 11s in the quarter. I could turn 11s in the quarter by putting $5-$7k into my LS1 Trans Am.
the chassis is not designed to optimize drag race times. you might as well stick to an Fbody or Mustang if you want to be fast in a 1/4 mile.

Originally Posted by jba3
I just don't like the fact that the NSX has such a pathetic quarter-mile acceleration factor.
then dont buy one.
you cant change this fact just by giving it gobs of power from, a V8. even you said a huge turbo setup wont bring an NSX under the 11's, so why do you think a V8 would? power is power and the NSX just does NOT have the chassis and suspension design to put huge power to the ground in a drag launch.

Quick Reply: LS1 Swap Question (NSX?)