Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting S10 LS1 swap, what manifolds / headers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 11:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Starting S10 LS1 swap, what manifolds / headers?

Starting an LS1 swap into my 94 S10 and can't find any good info on what manifolds or headers to use. JTR has some headers on their site, but it says they are 1.5" primaries. I think I've also heard that those don't fit that well. I bought the motor mounts from carshop on ebay. Here are some pix of the truck so far. I bought it with a bad engine.

http://performancemetal.net/94s10/

Thanks,
Todd
Old 09-11-2005, 08:04 PM
On The Tree

JTR is the only company that produces a header for S10 swaps, and from what i gather from some dyno charts i've seen there barely better than stock manifolds...so there basically a waste. '98 f-body manifolds fit with just a little modification, you basically have to cut the flanges off the bottom and replace it with about a 10" section of tubing for clearance on the upper a-arm. I've heard you can just grind on the washer behind the bushing on the drivers a-arm but im kinda against that. The only clearance problem you have is the drivers side, passenger side fits really good with the proper tubing bent up.

Your only option for big primary headers is to buy a weld up kit from someone like HeadersbyED.com. I got a weld up kit from him but haven't installed it yet because my projects been on hold for a year or so, real nice kit. He water-jet cuts his flanges and you can get flanges up to 1/2" thick, got mine with 1 3/4 primaries and 2 1/2" collectors for better bottom end. They come with enough tubing for 36" primaries.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:21 AM
Teching In

I had read somewhere that the F-body manifolds would fit with some work. The truck had some hedman 1.5" headers on it. I have even thought about ordering the flanges for the LS1 and making those headers work. I would rather run the manifolds. I think I'll have better steering clearance with the manifolds. Thanks for the input.
Todd
Old 09-16-2005, 12:06 PM
On The Tree

Np, anytime you need any help...feel free to pm me
Old 09-16-2005, 12:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

You might want to get in touch with Eric at http://www.turbotime.us/

They are working on Syclone Typhoon conversions (which use a 4x4 frame which is slightly different than your 2wd...but some of what they're doing might help). They have adapted a hydroboost system off an Astro Van which frees up a bunch of room around the brake booster...that should really help with your header clearance.

Good Luck!

Last edited by RAACCR; 09-16-2005 at 07:08 PM.
Old 09-17-2005, 02:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RAACCR
You might want to get in touch with Eric at http://www.turbotime.us/

They are working on Syclone Typhoon conversions (which use a 4x4 frame which is slightly different than your 2wd...but some of what they're doing might help). They have adapted a hydroboost system off an Astro Van which frees up a bunch of room around the brake booster...that should really help with your header clearance.

Good Luck!
Im swapping to hydroboost as well, but the brake booster really doesn't present a problem with the header clearance. The only clearance problems the booster really has is with the drivers side rear coil pack when using f-body coil packs. Really about the only way to free up room for headers is moving the steering column a couple inches, and use a torch and a BFH. The BFH is your friend on S10 LS1 conversions, i know i've used mine quite a bit.
Old 09-17-2005, 08:40 PM
Teching In

im doing the same swap now. ill let u know what i get
Old 09-19-2005, 08:38 PM
Launching!

You can try LHT Performance at 727-344-1800. THere web site is down, but they do top hotch headers for S-10s.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have pics of some of the problems I ran into and such. Even with the Sanderson headers I had clearance problems on the driver's side. www.geocities.com/jays_s10/ls1swap.html it's almost ready to go, just waiting on the headers to get back from Jet Hot and we will see if this bad boy will breathe or not hehehe.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS1S10
The BFH is your friend on S10 LS1 conversions, i know i've used mine quite a bit.
So, That's what I've got to look forward too
Old 09-19-2005, 09:09 PM
Teching In

I just got my CTS-V manifolds. They don't work either. I've found some 98 F-Body manifolds that I will try next. I just need to get with the guy that has them.
Todd
Old 09-20-2005, 11:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RAACCR
So, That's what I've got to look forward too
Yup, its not too bad though...you just gotta beat the crap outta the lip that goes around the tranny tunnel. Little heads up though, the biggest sledge you can fit in there is your best bet....saves alot of swings.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by kossuth
I have pics of some of the problems I ran into and such. Even with the Sanderson headers I had clearance problems on the driver's side. www.geocities.com/jays_s10/ls1swap.html it's almost ready to go, just waiting on the headers to get back from Jet Hot and we will see if this bad boy will breathe or not hehehe.
Headers look almost identical to a guy i talk to over at S10 forum, only difference really being in the #3 and #5 cylinder primaries. He tried to get his closest to equal length as possible so he's got his looping around the steering shaft. Your #7 primary is pretty freakin short though compared to the rest.

Im going to be following pretty close to your design just for simplicity, i very seriously doubt i'll loose much power by having one primary a little shorter than the others. Im using 1 3/4 tubing though, so i should have ALOT of fun...lol.
Old 10-16-2005, 08:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS1S10
JTR is the only company that produces a header for S10 swaps, and from what i gather from some dyno charts i've seen there barely better than stock manifolds...so there basically a waste. '98 f-body manifolds fit with just a little modification, you basically have to cut the flanges off the bottom and replace it with about a 10" section of tubing for clearance on the upper a-arm. I've heard you can just grind on the washer behind the bushing on the drivers a-arm but im kinda against that. The only clearance problem you have is the drivers side, passenger side fits really good with the proper tubing bent up.

Your only option for big primary headers is to buy a weld up kit from someone like HeadersbyED.com. I got a weld up kit from him but haven't installed it yet because my projects been on hold for a year or so, real nice kit. He water-jet cuts his flanges and you can get flanges up to 1/2" thick, got mine with 1 3/4 primaries and 2 1/2" collectors for better bottom end. They come with enough tubing for 36" primaries.
THERE ARE SEVERAL COMPANIES MAKING HEADERS FOR S10 SWAPS
Old 10-16-2005, 08:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Bimmer Tech
You can try LHT Performance at 727-344-1800. THere web site is down, but they do top hotch headers for S-10s.
HE IS RIGHT ...LEE'S IS THE ONLY SHOP I WOULD RECOMMEND FOR ANY S10 CONVERSION...HE AINT CHEAP,BUT THE PARTS ARE PRICELESS...
Old 10-16-2005, 11:38 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Don't forget he also lies a lot, over promises, and takes 3 times longer than you think would be a long time. He has a Monte Carlo there now that is having it's 3rd birthday this year, just for an LS1 swap.

Last edited by Jones'n; 10-16-2005 at 12:18 PM.
Old 10-16-2005, 12:17 PM
On The Tree

Lee's is nice, but no way in hell i'd pay his prices on parts so simple as motor mounts and no way i'd pay him 20g's to put an lt1 in my truck and even more for an ls1 (going by prices on there awhile back). Simple fabrication and common sense and you have yourself a swap, just as cleanly!
Old 10-17-2005, 04:05 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by s10-den
Who??? I have only seen 2 places and to be honest it the one place I wouldn't mention because I know some folks that got some SBC headers from them that took forever and a day.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by s10-den
Yeah your right, for small block swaps. Were discussing the Gen III swap, and so far JTR is the only company mass producing a header for this swap. LHT builds them, but on a custom order basis and there a nice penny....plus there's no telling when you'll actually get them.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:07 PM
Teching In

Actually Sanderson is working on some. I think they make them for JTR. They should have a set of 1.75 headers ready in about a month. I was told they have the driver's side done, but not the passenger. I'm waiting for those. They are pretty cheap too. I think the were around $400 coated and $300 uncoated.
Todd

Quick Reply: Starting S10 LS1 swap, what manifolds / headers?