Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Conversion for 1st Gen Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2005, 11:57 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 Conversion for 1st Gen Camaro

I know you guy's have talked about this a lot, but my eyes are now crossed after lookinng at this screen for the past week. I've got a 69 and my dad has a 68 camaro, that we're both restoring (frame off) at the same time. We've got two LS1's w/4L60E transmissions out of a 01 and 02 camaro and the 68 is ready for the motor & trans. I know there are sevral companys out there that offer conversion kits. The two that I have looked at the closest is Street & Performance and Brewer Restoration & Performance. I also know that the S&P kit moves the motor back and BRP leaves the more towards the front to clear the A/C compressor, but we're both using the vintage air sure fit kits so we may not need to worry about that. I don't know which set up works the best after the motor and transmission is installed(like driveshaft, header clearance,frame clearance, throttle cable, clearance around the engine bay to work on the motor, etc..), because setting the motor & trans in the frame is the easy part.The BRP kit requires the rack & pinion conversion that's really costly. We just want a good crusing car, not a race car. So who do you guy's recommend to use to make the conversion any easier after the motor and transmission is setting in the frame and is still resonibily priced? Also are the other companys out there that offer conversions worth looking, that may work just as well at a better price? Thanks for any help, Jim
[Edit/Delete Message] [Reply With Quote] [Quick reply to this message]
Old 09-25-2005, 12:08 PM
On The Tree

Default conversion

If you have any fab skills at all you can do it all yourself and save hundreds if not thousands but if you go with a kit it will go quicker. the thing about conversions is that they are all unique and even if you go with a kit you still need to be able to fab. The guys that you have mentioned have spent a great deal of time and money devolping there kit if you decide to go with one go with it all the way, It will save you lots of headache. If you decide to do it yourself just do alot of research. As for the rack and pinion you can do your own for far less by getting your parts from a wrecked f body I have tons of pics that might help you if you decide to diy.
Old 09-25-2005, 02:20 PM
Teching In

Fabricating all the parts(motor mounts / cross member) is not a problem, I've got a mill, lathe, tig, mig, etc... The problem is knowing where the best location to set the motor. It looks like BRP is placing the original camaro mount in the center of the LS1 mount. To me I like that set up better because it gives you more room to work behind the motor and the oil pan clearance. Plus the BRP set up will allow you to use long tube headers. If you have pics and/or any suggestions on mounting the 4th gen rack & pinion, I would greatly appreciate that info! I guess if we do the 68 first, I'd know how the do mine. Thanks, Jim
Old 09-25-2005, 07:50 PM
TECH Regular

read the FAQ post at the top and then use the S&P style mounts. my engine is in my 67 and it cost me about $5 to install it. now the rest of the parts get expensive!!
Old 09-26-2005, 06:52 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jvest i have the s&p mounts and have stainless works long tube headers in a 69 camaro with stock type steering. have to replace one bolt on the steering box, angel plug wires will be needed, as for the ac, will be going with vintage air also (gen 2 compact)i want it in the stock loca, this will be the the problem but i think i can fab something up. that`s the fun of building a car. mike
Old 09-26-2005, 09:00 AM
Teching In

69blackwidow, How much clearance do you have between the back of the heads to the firewall? It seems that more people are using the S&P set up, so that maybe the best way to go. Do you know what the tube size is on the headers? I'd like to mount the compressor down low also. I think it would look cleaner. Does anyone know if the vega (Flame River) steering box gives more or less clearance on the headers? Thanks, Jim
Old 09-26-2005, 09:16 AM
TECH Veteran

The S&P mounts put it about as close to the firewall as you can get. Better for weight distribution.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:44 AM
TECH Regular

ATS is coming out with a new swap kit for the ls1 intoa 1st gen. it includes mounts, oil pan, headers, a LOW ac relocation bracket, ETC. they are waiting to reveal it at SEMA so all you may get is some teasrs pics. most of their stuff is WAY out of my budget but it is VERY nice.

now for a cheaper solution check out my sig. i made my own S&P mounts, modified a set of 99 LS1 (pace setter smog free) headers, and made my own tranny mount. the headers cost about $285 at summit.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:37 PM
On The Tree

jvest like ls69ta said it is as close as you can get. check out the stainless works web page,they are $$$ but man are they a nice fit. i am going with a tremec tko600 and mech linkage. (z bar and stuff ) the ls1 has no spot for the pivot ball support on the block with the ls1 being back as far as it is i have to fab a bracket for that but looks like it won`t be a problem as far as the ac goes, looks like if you move the ac pump forward and use one belt, looks like the only way to get it to work with the s&p mounts
Old 09-26-2005, 02:56 PM
On The Tree

satis traction do you have ats web page mike
Old 09-26-2005, 04:12 PM
Teching In

ATS:
http://www.t56kit.com/site.html
Old 09-26-2005, 04:13 PM
Launching!