Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a solid answer on TB bypass methods?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default TB Bypass method *Added a pic*

I was reading through several threads and there doesn't seem to be a positive answer towards where to bypass this hose... Most methods are backed with "Well my engine doesn't over heat".

I would like to tap into my waterpump seeing how it's cleaner, but others say to bypass it into the pressure side.

My rad is just a stock recored 72 rad.... I have a 15lb rad cap, and the little thinger for when it overheats and kicks out...(I don't have a seperate fill tank, should I and if so HOW should I?). I'd like to keep a 1 peice upper rad hose and not run a long line.

These are the main threads that I read.... Any thoughts or input guys?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ht=heater+hose

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ight=TB+bypass

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ight=TB+bypass

Edit: Heres what I ended up doing... This is now GM does it. Its just a peice of copper tubing with a copper tube soldered to make a "T".

-Matt
Attached Thumbnails Is there a solid answer on TB bypass methods?-tb-bypass.jpg  

Last edited by ls1_chevelle; 11-06-2005 at 03:21 PM.
Old 10-16-2005, 11:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Im in the same boat you are, id like to know too...
Im using a carb intake, and wont need the line(I had thought about just blocking it off, BUT thanks for the links, seems thats not the way to go)

If I run it to the nipple on the radiator, then I wont be able to have an expansion tank(unless I get another barb welded on)

Hope someone has more insight...
Old 10-17-2005, 04:14 AM
Launching!

I'm pretty sure it must go on the pressure side of the radiator(the overflow tank is on the non pressure side). Someone makes T's that go in the high side radiator hose for this return.......
Old 10-17-2005, 05:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

you can't run it to your expansion tank, you'll fill it up. the "bleed" has a constant flow of coolant. some members have fabbed a union in their upper hose with a nipple to connect the hose to. if i were you i'd remove my radiator and take it to a radiator shop and have them solder a nipple into one of the radiator tanks. you could also at this time upgrade to an aluminum radiator. my northern radiator already had provisions in it for a small return line. it was less than $300 for a universal gm rad with tranny cooler.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 5.3 racer
you can't run it to your expansion tank, you'll fill it up. the "bleed" has a constant flow of coolant. some members have fabbed a union in their upper hose with a nipple to connect the hose to. if i were you i'd remove my radiator and take it to a radiator shop and have them solder a nipple into one of the radiator tanks. you could also at this time upgrade to an aluminum radiator. my northern radiator already had provisions in it for a small return line. it was less than $300 for a universal gm rad with tranny cooler.
I get pretty good deals on rad work so I just opted with getting my recored. This way if it leaks I can still pull into a huck town and get someone to fix it up for me.

I was thinking of buying a T to go in the pressure side(feeding) the heater core, this way it will pull the coolant from top to bottom, rather then fighting against it and trying to push it upstream. This is how GM does it from the factory....

Oh, Getting another barb soldered onto the rad looks tacky(unless you do it like Steve did with a braided line) but my engine sits back quite a bit so I have quite the space between my rad and engine. Equalling one ugly *** line.

I'll wait till we get a few more comments.

-Matt
Old 10-17-2005, 02:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 67pete
I'm pretty sure it must go on the pressure side of the radiator(the overflow tank is on the non pressure side). Someone makes T's that go in the high side radiator hose for this return.......
no.
it must goto someplace in the system WITHOUT pressure.

coolant/air must be able to constantly flow out of the hose... stock does this by returning it to the radiator, or returning it in the heater core RETURN hose.. and thats the same passage as having it on the upper radiator hose...
Old 10-17-2005, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
no.

coolant/air must be able to constantly flow out of the hose... stock does this by returning it to the radiator, or returning it in the heater core RETURN hose.. and thats the same passage as having it on the upper radiator hose...
So Andrew is wrong by saying this?
That hose really needs to go to the highest point in the colling system on the pressure side. The purpose is to completely fill the block and heads with coolant. The crossover between the heads is the highest point in the engine and by looping it back into the water pump you are defeating the purpose of being able to "burp" the engine of any air.

Andrew
-Matt
Old 10-17-2005, 04:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was looking at this today, why can`t you just plug it at the t and be done with it. i don`t think you need it. its just for cold temp warm up right ????? MIKE
Old 10-17-2005, 05:43 PM
TECH Regular

67pete is correct. The line MUST run to a part of the pressurized system, preferably the return side of the radiator. If you run it to the expansion tank or any other unpressurized portion of the system, you will empty the cooling system out, and the system will never build pressure. It is not necessary to run it through the TB, but it is necessary to run it somehwere that will bleed the air and steam out of the top of the coolant passages. It just should be returned at a point where the pressure is lower so that natural circulation will keep the air and steam purged out. Plugging this line is not a good idea and will cause hot spots in the block where water will never get due to air pockets. While the purpose of the line is to purge air, it is also used to heat the TB. Most performance guys will bypass the portion of it that goes through the TB, but the line still has to vent the air!

Regards, John McGraw
Old 10-17-2005, 05:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Could you drill and tap a fitting into the return side of the water pump? Run a short line just to the water pump, instead of al the way to the rad?
Old 10-17-2005, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just got a peice built for the return line on my heater core. Both lines(going in and out) of the heater core are at 16psi. This is how GM does it from the factory. I'll just copy them!

-Matt
Old 10-17-2005, 10:26 PM
TECH Regular

LS1_chevelle is correct, the GM trucks are done in this very manner.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by John McGraw
LS1_chevelle is correct, the GM trucks are done in this very manner.
On that note, can standard rubber lines take 16psi?
Or is it a better idea to run a pipe with minimal hose(only for connections)?
Old 10-17-2005, 11:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01PewterWS6
On that note, can standard rubber lines take 16psi?
Or is it a better idea to run a pipe with minimal hose(only for connections)?
The stock hose for the TB(1/4"ID) doesn't see 16psi... The heater hoses do. GM runs the very same rubber line that exits the TB to the heater hose. Just go to your local parts store and buy some 1/4"ID rubber line.

-Matt
Old 10-17-2005, 11:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ls1_chevelle
The stock hose for the TB(1/4"ID) doesn't see 16psi... The heater hoses do. GM runs the very same rubber line that exits the TB to the heater hose. Just go to your local parts store and buy some 1/4"ID rubber line.

-Matt
I was asking about the heater hose lines.(if stock rubber hoses can take the pressure)
Also, how would the tb line dump into a higher pressure hose?
(how would it get the air out, if the pressure isnt the same as the heater hose lines?)
Old 10-17-2005, 11:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01PewterWS6
I was asking about the heater hose lines.(if stock rubber hoses can take the pressure)
Also, how would the tb line dump into a higher pressure hose?
(how would it get the air out, if the pressure isnt the same as the heater hose lines?)
The stock rubber lines(for example on my 72 Chevelle) will take 16psi easy. It works by suction.... The TB line dumps into the heater hose which is flowing at 16psi into (or out of) the water pump. This suction will pull the antifreeze from the TB down. If everything is sealed, there is no way possible for air to stay trapped at the top of the heads. Just like bleeding brake lines!

-Mattt
Old 10-17-2005, 11:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The stock rubber lines(for example on my 72 Chevelle) will take 16psi easy. It works by suction.... The TB line dumps into the heater hose which is flowing at 16psi into (or out of) the water pump. This suction will pull the antifreeze from the TB down. If everything is sealed, there is no way possible for air to stay trapped at the top of the heads. Just like bleeding brake lines!

-Mattt
Cool, thanks for the explaination, makes sense, I just thought about it wrong.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:55 AM
Launching!

For those interested here is a company that offers some T's .....

https://shell7.tdl.com/~jags/Pages/P...rass-Tees.html

the company JTR(Jaguars That Run) offers a variety, but it needs to run to a lower pressure area, such as the upper radiator hose, so that the air pressure that builds in the TB area can escape to a lower pressure spot.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:59 AM
TECH Junkie

So Andrew is wrong by saying this?

-Matt
hes saying the same thing i am.

in order for water to flow, it must go from a low pressure area to a high pressure area.

the reason this thread seems confusing is that we're all using different terminology.

if i get a chance at work today, i'll draw a pic and see if i can make it clearer.. but we're all saying the same thing.. lol.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
hes saying the same thing i am.

in order for water to flow, it must go from a low pressure area to a high pressure area.

the reason this thread seems confusing is that we're all using different terminology.

if i get a chance at work today, i'll draw a pic and see if i can make it clearer.. but we're all saying the same thing.. lol.
You confused me with saying no.
in response to "I'm pretty sure it must go on the pressure side of the radiator(the overflow tank is on the non pressure side). Someone makes T's that go in the high side radiator hose for this return......."

-Matt

Quick Reply: Is there a solid answer on TB bypass methods?