Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

**NEW** LSx conversion oil pan

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 08:31 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tyler

My name is Chris. I know i am not in your prime market. I enjoy making my own stuff. That is part of the hobby for me. I do however know a nice part when i see one. All of your products are nicely constructed.

So you say you take a stock 3 bolt mount, flip it upside down and then bolt it to the LS1. Are you aligning the single hole on the flipped mount with the boss already on the block or are you moving it forward of the boss on the block? did this raise or lower the engine?

by looking at this pic it looks like that would raise the engine which would decrease on the handling of the car. it would however make adding AC to your track car easier. it may also make the T56 install harder due to lack of tranny tunnel space.

Just how much farther does your mount move the engine back over the S&P mounts?

and is this basically your conversion plate but flipped?

if so then it looks like any one using the S&P style mount would be able to use your pan IF the front part of the sump was not any lower then the original.

Last edited by SatisTraction; 10-26-2005 at 08:46 AM.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Tyler.. Nice pan.. I hope to run it on Penny

So, with this pan you HAVE to run a remote oil filter.. right?

See ya at SEMA.. the first beer is on me..
Old 10-26-2005, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Steve1969LS1
Hey Tyler.. Nice pan.. I hope to run it on Penny

See ya at SEMA.. the first beer is on me..
Yessum.

-Matt
Old 10-26-2005, 03:59 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

woo hoo! I like show-n-tell threads of new products

Tyler, when do the spindles and pan become available for sale? Can't wait to get my setup!

Tony
Old 10-26-2005, 04:02 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If that pan is steel, what is it coated with? Is it just a zinc coating of some type or a HTC or other powder coating?

Also, what's the spindle for? Looks similar to a 1st gen. F-body spindle.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1fastWS6
If that pan is steel, what is it coated with? Is it just a zinc coating of some type or a HTC or other powder coating?

Also, what's the spindle for? Looks similar to a 1st gen. F-body spindle.
A, F, X body cars. Its a pretty trick piece thats for sure!

-Matt
Old 10-26-2005, 08:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Two questions -
1 - What is the measurement from the pan rail to the bottom of the front part of the pan and also to the lowest point of the sump?

2 - What is that spindle / hub for? Is that to put big brakes on a A/G-body?

Bill
Old 10-26-2005, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A-F-X bodies, will work on all three, waiting......
Old 10-26-2005, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Monza355
Two questions -
1 - What is the measurement from the pan rail to the bottom of the front part of the pan and also to the lowest point of the sump?

2 - What is that spindle / hub for? Is that to put big brakes on a A/G-body?

Bill
Spindle is for A-F-X body cars aswell. C5/C6 brakes bolt right on. Along with many other brake options. Its pretty universal except for us C4 brake guys, no one makes a mount to adapt to the spindle(from what I have read).
Old 10-26-2005, 10:08 PM
Teching In

Somebody get that bad boy in an S-series frame and see how it fits. I want a 6.0L, but don't wanna run the truck pan that hangs down under the frame by almost 2"!!!
Old 10-26-2005, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ZZ4Blazer
Somebody get that bad boy in an S-series frame and see how it fits. I want a 6.0L, but don't wanna run the truck pan that hangs down under the frame by almost 2"!!!
Dude, Camaro LS1 pan bolts right over....Thats what I did in my car.

-Matt
Old 10-26-2005, 11:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SatisTraction
.......... did this raise or lower the engine?
In reference to what ?? This engine package did not come in this chassis originally, so there isnt much to compare it to. It is however, lower than it would be with a factory pan.... and we still have plenty of room.

.......... by looking at this pic it looks like that would raise the engine which would decrease on the handling of the car.
Not hardly. If it were, it would be infinitesimal.

.......... it would however make adding AC to your track car easier. it may also make the T56 install harder due to lack of tranny tunnel space.
AC isnt a problem nor are there any tunnel issues.

.......... Just how much farther does your mount move the engine back over the S&P mounts?
We'll just call it close. I dont suggest the use of solid engine mounts to anyone running an LSx engine package.... unless your not going to use the knock sensor.

Originally Posted by Steve1969LS1
Yes.

Originally Posted by 1fastWS6
It is an electrolysis coating.

Originally Posted by ls1_chevelle
Its pretty universal except for us C4 brake guys, no one makes a mount to adapt to the spindle(from what I have read).
We are working on that solution and should have the dirt on this just after SEMA.

What is the measurement from the pan rail to the bottom of the front part of the pan and also to the lowest point of the sump?
And....

I want a 6.0L, but don't wanna run the truck pan that hangs down under the frame by almost 2"!!!
Well....... I'll just say that there is more clearence that any of the stock pans and that the lowest part on the chassis, is the lip (engine plate and scatter shield) of the McLeod scatter shield.

Old 10-27-2005, 05:01 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ls1_chevelle
Dude, Camaro LS1 pan bolts right over....Thats what I did in my car.

-Matt
I think your a little mistaken. None of the Gen III oil pans will bolt right into an s-series(s-10, noma, blazer, jimmy, etc) The F-body oil pan requires most of the front crossmember to be cut away and notched. The truck pan almost fits, but requires some notching of hte frame as well.

I think that pan might be my best bet for a minimal cutting, and the most clearance.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:14 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by chicane
In reference to what ?? This engine package did not come in this chassis originally, so there isnt much to compare it to. It is however, lower than it would be with a factory pan.... and we still have plenty of room.

Not hardly. If it were, it would be infinitesimal.

AC isnt a problem nor are there any tunnel issues.

We'll just call it close. I dont suggest the use of solid engine mounts to anyone running an LSx engine package.... unless your not going to use the knock sensor.

i was refering to the other to companies that install the LS1 into a 1st gen. and it has to be raised if you flip the mounts.

drag racers used to raise the engine to raise the center of gravity to make the car hook better.

granted i do not this the 1-2" that your mounts will raise it will make the car roll to much more. it just seems that if you are spings $1000's to buy the best spindles, exhaust, springs, ETC then it would be STUPID to raise the engine at all.

i really think your mounts and the S&P will position the engine the same distance from the firewall, theirs is just lower.

i am curous about the tunnel thing. people have trouble using the 1/2" drop body bushings. how much room do you have to spare?

thanks
chris

Last edited by SatisTraction; 10-27-2005 at 02:47 PM.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 165 Likes on 109 Posts

How many quarts of oil does it hold?

That pan initially looked attractive as I road race my car hard.... and my current solution is to run 7 quarts.... no problems yet. My car pulls 1.13g's on a 200ft skidpad on MichPilotSportCups. With Hoosiers I'm hoping for more.

For $499.... I think your price is about $150-200 too high. I realize that it is a niche product and small market... but this is made from steel and not some aluminum fab'd creation. The ports for oil drain back are nice and the oil cooler provisions are as well...

Motivate me to not buy the LG Motorsports oil cooler CnC'd adapter and keep adding in an extra quart of oil to my stock pan. $500 is a lot to swallow.

-Mark
Old 10-27-2005, 10:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Chris- I see where your going with that now......... and it makes more sense. But I can say, S&P's mounts are not any lower than or mounts. I do agree with the 1/2" drop sub frame bushings providing major headaches and requiring tunnel modification. I wish I had some available pictures to share, but do not..... although there is about a 'fingers' amount of space around the transmission and tunnel with stock height alloy bushings.

Uh, Mark- This price includes custom hardware, a factory GM pan gasket and the pick up is also included. It also has features that NO stock offering can provide.... and yup, you guessed it, that costs more money too. Anyway, custom pans dont cost (even us) the $300 that you would like to spend.... they cost more. So, I dont know what to tell you other than...... geeze, with the math I have done above that takes the pan price down to around $370.00. Kinda right where you were looking to spend.

Secondly, a fabbed alloy pan doesnt make much sense, especially since lSx engine oil pans are actually a structural part for the engine.... and the fact that it is on the smarter side of intelligent, because its on the bottom of the chassis where debris can hit it.

And on a final note. An LSx engine doesnt require more than about 2/3's of the oil a first or second gen engine....... even at +1.5 G's. But, since there is provisions for a remote mount and a cooler..... depending on how you plummed it, it could have more capicity than your stated 7 qts..... which by the way, is complete overkill. If you have any specific questions about oil capicity requirements, I will refer you to Wegner Automotive Research. They have been doing years of research, development and field deploying the LSx engine package in every division of NASCAR (excluding Cup) with near perfect results in and above +1.5G operation. I was made aware of the LSx's special oil 'needs' while discussing the idea of the pan in which we created. You could almost say "co-engineered" as our pan has now been picked up by GM Coorporate (performance division) for use on their 'crate engine' package for the left hand turn guys.

And in actaulity, Canton and Avaid get more than $600.00 for a pan of this nature.........

**EDIT.... also read this post :https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps/399087-ls1-harness-67-camaro.html
Old 10-27-2005, 11:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very nice products, chicane. I'd buy everything you've got if i had the budget for it. But i'm only 17 working minimum wage. Maybe my next project.
olly
Old 10-28-2005, 12:04 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 67RSCamaroVette
Very nice products, chicane. I'd buy everything you've got if i had the budget for it. But i'm only 17 working minimum wage. Maybe my next project.
olly
Finally somebody with my situation. haha I'm only 19 trying to put an LS1 in a 67 Chevelle and go to college. Not an easy task but I like where you are going with the Camaro best of luck to you.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Tom, what is the price on the pan?
Old 10-28-2005, 07:51 AM
TECH Regular

i think the price was $499 and that really is not TOO bad for a new custom aftermarket pan with all the accessories. i think Canton LS1 pans are right at $489.

Quick Reply: **NEW** LSx conversion oil pan