Sponsored by:

how to block heater lines

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 10:57 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to block heater lines

Hi all,
My project car will not be needing heat. I want to block off the 2 heater lines coming off the water pump. I want to make it looks as clean as possible. Please I don't want to by pass it by using a rubber hose. Ideas are welcome. Thanks
Old 12-01-2005, 11:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1Cobra
Hi all,
My project car will not be needing heat. I want to block off the 2 heater lines coming off the water pump. I want to make it looks as clean as possible. Please I don't want to by pass it by using a rubber hose. Ideas are welcome. Thanks
I need to do the same. Ive heard people say just to tap the water pump housing and thread in a plug. I was planning on doing this but I also remember reading that this wasnt good for the water pump to be dead headed right there. So for now I just have a short hose running between the two.

There are also little rubber plugs that you could stick on there with hose clamps.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I pulled out the pipe nipples, tapped the housing and put pipe plugs. No cooling problems in the last 2 years. Others have been doing the same thing and running longer than I have.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just pull the pressed-in tubing stubs out and tap the holes with pipe taps. The holes are already the correct size for 1/2" and 3/8" NPT. It will not hurt to plug these holes. You are not dead heading the pump, it is just a small fraction of the flow that flows through the block and radiator. I allways thread the pump whether I am using the ports or not. If you are using the ports, the pipe threads allow use of AN adapters.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 12-01-2005, 11:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok i think im just going to do it...ive heard more people say that they havent had any problems plugging them than people having problems. Anyone got some pics of the plugs they used?
Old 12-02-2005, 03:25 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jimmyp
..Anyone got some pics of the plugs they used?
Here's a pic of one but probably cheaper to buy a brass one at Home Depot or Lowe's.

Old 12-02-2005, 09:00 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the info to John and Scooter. I just looked at the fittings last night and they do look like they got pressed onto the water pump housing. I will definitely go this route.

More questions: How did you remove the fittings? Can I just use the vise grip and collapse the fittings and they will come out? Do I have to remove the water pump to tap? If not how did you guys remove the metal shavings after tapping? Thank you much for the info?
Old 12-02-2005, 09:59 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LS1Cobra
If not how did you guys remove the metal shavings after tapping?
Here's an old machinist's trick (however, I'm not an old machinist).

Take whatever tap you're going to use and load the flutes (spaces for the chips) with a good heavy grease. This will do 2 things, lubricate the tap and it'll collect almost all of the chips.

The trick works on taps with straight flutes such as your pipe tap. This doesn't work on spiral point taps (also know as gun taps) because they push the chips into the hole ahead of the tap.

Also, be careful how deep you go with a pipe tap. They are tapered and if you go too far, you may find that the fitting will not get tight before you run out of fitting depth.

'JustDreamin'
Old 12-02-2005, 10:59 AM
Teching In

Best to remove the thermostat housing with thermostate. Pack a rag in the opening. Then run your "oiled" tap in the bore, just a turns or so, remove the tap and use a "jet vac" to remove the shavings, then ire-nsert the oiled tap again and turn to remove more material taking care that the bore doesn't load up with shavings. Repeat above procedure. Use the appropiate NPT plug as a gage for the desired depth. When you've attained the desired depth, vacuum the tapped holes, remove rag and thoroughly vacuum that area as well. Then you should be good to go .
Old 12-02-2005, 06:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just me, but I allways pull the pump to thread it and wash any chips out of it when I am done. It is nice ot have it off to pull the stubs out anyway. I heat the pump with a torch and then grab the stubs with vice grips and twist them out. It really is not much trouble to pull the pump off, and the gaskets are reusable.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 12-02-2005, 08:24 PM
Launching!

To remove the nipples I drilled a hole through the nipple and atached a strap and used slide hammer to remove. I found it hard to find npt taps. Finally went to a plumbing supply store.
Old 12-03-2005, 12:59 AM
On The Tree

Lightbulb just an idea.........

I remember seeing several different small sized "freeze plugs" at the local auto parts place (Pep Boys) others may have them also. Anyway, maybe it is as simple as finding the appropiate sized plug and install with sealer. It would be a cleaner look IMO.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jbk240z
I remember seeing several different small sized "freeze plugs" at the local auto parts place (Pep Boys) others may have them also. Anyway, maybe it is as simple as finding the appropiate sized plug and install with sealer. It would be a cleaner look IMO.
Yes, has another used welsh plugs before to block off the heater?
There dirt cheap, easy to install and they seem to hold up in the block.

Quick Reply: how to block heater lines