Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

turbo chevelle gettin there!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006 | 02:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pwrtrip75
cool to see another old school car going turbo LSx. very cool!
Yep, turboed GenIII powered old school metal rocks! I have a 72 nova that I'm thinking of doing a GenIII swap on also. How is your hood clearance on the Nova? Do you think a Truck manifold setup would fit?
Old 02-20-2006 | 02:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Here's a couple of pics of the car, it's almost as clean as nitrorocket's but not quite.
Notice the required w/t primered fender

Who's that in the background?
Old 02-23-2006 | 06:45 AM
On The Tree

Yes nice - hope it all works but likley a good bit of sheilding / wrapping will be needed.
Have FUN.
Old 03-30-2006 | 12:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Got a couple of other things done. I finished up the exhaust from the firewall to the rear bumper for the most part, just need to finish weld everything and add maybe one more hanger. It's 3.5" all the way from the turbine housing to the bumper with a cutout and running a Borla XR-1 muffler. Here it is before I put it back in the car to fit up for the last time.

Mounted the intercooler off of the radiator support and modified the hood latch release to clear the intercooler and still function as stock. I was wanting to avoid hood pins and it looks like it's going to work out.

I also made up a fan shroud and mounted two 10" permacool fans rated at 1250 cfm each. The shroud is kinda shallow, a little over 1", any opinions on this. I may open it up at the top more to allow some more air to flow when cruising, but would this affect the pull of the fans while in traffic?

Old 03-30-2006 | 12:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

man your fab skills rock, looks great, and it'll haul ***. Now borrow a plasma torch from a buddy, and cut off that tow hitch. And you'll need some wider wheels out back if you want it to ever hook up. I love chevelles, yours looks great. What color are you planning on painting it?

olly
Old 03-30-2006 | 12:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 67RSCamaroVette
man your fab skills rock, looks great, and it'll haul ***. Now borrow a plasma torch from a buddy, and cut off that tow hitch. And you'll need some wider wheels out back if you want it to ever hook up. I love chevelles, yours looks great. What color are you planning on painting it?

olly
I just cut out the hitch w/ a sawzall last night. I actually wanted to keep it just cause I thought it was kinda funny, but the way it was welded in, I was worried about it puncturing the gas tank if I ever had a rear end collission. Of course now there's less bracing on the back end so it would probably do the same thing anyways.
I'm planning on running 315/35/17s in the rear on some 17x11s w/ 275/40/17s on 17x9.5s up front (I know it's been done to death, but I really like the look). The tires on there now were just to give me some reference points for measuring backspacing and whatnot.
I think I'm going to keep it orange although I might wanna go for a metallic sunset orange color. Like this

I really dig your paint color choice; I wish I had those sort of skills. Not sure what I'm going to do about bodywork...
Old 03-30-2006 | 08:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

what a sweet project!!!!
Old 03-30-2006 | 07:51 PM
Staging Lane

very nice. piping looks clean, but close to some stuff.
What kind of boost levels you running?
Old 03-30-2006 | 09:15 PM
Teching In

Very sweet project, I wanted a similar type of orange, but a buddy did his 68 camaro the same color.... so I'm going to do an Eleanor type color on my 72 chevelle (I feel like a traitor!). I'll do the bodywork on your car for you if you trade me the engine!
Old 03-31-2006 | 08:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 97noma
very nice. piping looks clean, but close to some stuff.
What kind of boost levels you running?
starting out w/ about 10 and moving up from there
Old 05-07-2006 | 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, I decided to redo a couple of things due to some suggestions made from forum members and just because I needed some better clearance for my cold side piping to make it into the throttle body. I added flex sections on the downpipe and the drivers side piping. I also worked in my Tial 44mm wastegate which was a real pain in the *** to do with the wrong size hole saw and finishing by freehand jigsaw and grinding bit. I think it turned out okay, but I hope whoever I get to tig this all up can fill a couple of gaps that ended up to big. Anyone know someone in Las Vegas, NV that is reliable/reasonably priced to tig all this up for me? Here's some pics (the original ones are in the first part of this post)

Getting Closer!
Old 05-07-2006 | 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default More progress from this weekend

I feel like being a pic/post ***** so although it isn't directly turbo related I thought I'd share some progress made this weekend.

Here's the gauge panel I fabbed up a couple of weeks ago (not too bad for jigsaw freehanding I think ):

It's obviously not done and will have a couple more indicator lights and different gauges in the panel (AFR, fuel press, boost, etc.). The others will go either in the dash where the radio would be or below in a panel.

Here's the A/C evaporator mounted up (must have in Las Vegas):

Max
Old 05-07-2006 | 11:24 PM
Teching In

looks awesome and once its totally complete lets see some BURNOUTS BABY!
Old 05-17-2006 | 07:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

I really dig the setup.

Im planning a backyard turbo LS1 chevelle as well, and was going to put the downpipe through the AC Compressor area, but you have given me hope.

What AC system are you using? Are you able to retain both heat and AC with the downpipe routed high? Any pictures of that clearance?

Im selling my RX7/LS1 now, but once that is gone Im going to press ahead with a project.

Best,

-Jason
Old 05-17-2006 | 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Payne
What AC system are you using? Are you able to retain both heat and AC with the downpipe routed high? Any pictures of that clearance?
Thanks for the compliments on the setup...I need some motivation to get this thing movin! Here's a pic of the clearance between the downpipe and firewall:

Not much room for the stock A/C box unfortunately and I'm not sure how you could make it fit w/o running a small downpipe. A twin setup w/ dual 3" downpipes might be able to fit but it would probably be tight. I'm running a Hot Rod Air setup; I heard good things about them from other forum members and they make an adapter to use the stock GM compressor setup although I had to clearance the crap out of the frame which I wasn't really keen on but couldn't figure any other way to utilize the stock compressor.

Last edited by 350SS; 05-17-2006 at 10:18 PM.
Old 05-17-2006 | 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Payne
I really dig the setup. Im planning a backyard turbo LS1 chevelle as well, and was going to put the downpipe through the AC Compressor area, but you have given me hope.
Sorry Jason, I think I misunderstood your post the first time I read it. I was thinking stock A/C box and you meant stock LS1 compressor area right? Either way here's another pic:

Like I said, I had to clearance the frame, which I still need to box in for strength, but there is plenty of room for the A/C and heater lines. I'll probably run them under the down pipe then up and over the inner fender and to a bulkhead that I still need to install on the firewall. I might even run them under the outer fender to keep them out of sight.

Max
Old 05-17-2006 | 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default New Wheels/Tires

Got some wheels and tires delivered this past Friday and couldn't be more happy with the look/stance.

They're American Racing Hopster wheels with the overdone 17x9.5 fronts and 17x11 rears. The tires are Goodyear F1 GS D3s w/ the also overdone 275/40/17s up front and 315/35/17s in the rear.

Max
Old 05-17-2006 | 10:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

AWESOME!!!
great wheel choice!
Old 05-18-2006 | 02:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

A few more questions-

1) I love the wheels. Do the 315s fit w/o minitubbing?

2) how are you routing from the turbo to the intercooler? Above the frame rail?

3) Do you have a website with the AC system? What about the heat?

4) Would you mind a phone call to talk over the setup? You are in Vegas right? Next time I am down there, could I possibly look the car over? I can bring a 12er for your time
Old 09-03-2006 | 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

I forgot to post a couple of updates a while back...I did this back in May

"Made some more progress today...got one side of the cold side piping put together, just need to add the BOV and do the other side as well, hopefully tomorrow:"

Quick Reply: turbo chevelle gettin there!