Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VATS and BCM

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 09:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default VATS and BCM

I'm almost finnished my LS1 install in my 94 camaro . I had VATS removed from the PCM .But I'm not getting any power to the starter to turn the motor over . The key I had made for the colum does not have the VATS chip in it . Could the BCM be not letting the power get to the starter or do I have another problem?

Thanks Johnathan
Old 03-15-2006, 02:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

why are you running a bcm if you dont have vats?
you got all power options still?
Old 03-15-2006, 05:32 AM
Launching!

On my son's 88 we used the heavy gauge purple wire that originally went to the starter instead of wiring it like the normal LS1 would. The purple wire came out of C100 (firewall drivers side) on the 3rd Gen. May not have that wire on the 94 but thought I would mention it.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:32 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

VATS doesn't stop the starter from turning over, it turns the injectors off. So even if the VATS was still functioning, you should still be able to hit the key and make the starter spin.
Start tracing wires... check the starter relay and see that you have power in the right places.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:21 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by crewchef
On my son's 88 we used the heavy gauge purple wire that originally went to the starter instead of wiring it like the normal LS1 would. The purple wire came out of C100 (firewall drivers side) on the 3rd Gen. May not have that wire on the 94 but thought I would mention it.
On the 94 the purple wire was on one of the plugs in the kick panel . I ran a wire of the same guage the the plug out side on the 98 harness.

The reason I ask is that the VATS was malfuctioning on my father inlaws 95 monte carlo . It would not spin the engine when I unpluged the VATS wire on the collum . I thought I read on here long time ago it could do ether Not let the engine turn over or turn injectors off.

Thanks for everyones responce
Johnathan
Old 03-15-2006, 08:20 AM
On The Tree

I am rewiring for my car right now and my wiring system comes out of a 98 C5. Not sure if this is different with the Fbody cars or not. The VATs (from the C5) feeds thru the BCM and the BCM controls the starter relay by the small Yel/Blk wire. You can by pass this by connect this wire to ground. Hope that helps.

BTW the big purple wire is the output of the starter relay which controlled by the small Yel/Blk wire.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:41 AM
Launching!

Instead of running the purple wire through the harness/ECM try going directly to the starter and see if it works that way. Again, don't know how the 94 worked but on the 3rd Gens that's how the original wiring was set up and it's how I wired the new LS1 (98) up too. There's no relay on mine, purple wire straight to starter.

I assume you've already checked power and grounds to the starter and also bench tested the starter to make sure it's good?
Old 03-15-2006, 12:08 PM
On The Tree

The purple wire is not geting hot when the switch is turned to start .
I am rewiring for my car right now and my wiring system comes out of a 98 C5. Not sure if this is different with the Fbody cars or not. The VATs (from the C5) feeds thru the BCM and the BCM controls the starter relay by the small Yel/Blk wire. You can by pass this by connect this wire to ground. Hope that helps.

BTW the big purple wire is the output of the starter relay which controlled by the small
I Think that might be my problem Ill check it out this weekend .
Old 03-18-2006, 06:10 PM
On The Tree

I found the yellow/blk wire coming out of the box under the Pass. side of the dash (Is this the BCM or is it the box way under the drivers side? ) Any way I grounded the wire I found and nthing happend .

Also does anyone know Where and if theres a fuel pump relay .

Thanks for your guys help .
Old 03-18-2006, 07:13 PM
Staging Lane

Which way did you ground the yellow and black wire? You don't want to ground the BCM, you want to ground the relay on the other end of the wire.

Another option would be to bypass the starter relay. The relay is located behind the dash on the passenger side, just to the right of the glove box, It is in a hard place to get to. Unplug the relay and jump the purple and yellow wire together. Note that your neutral safety or clutch switch will not work if you bypass the relay.

The Fuel pump relay is located behind the driver kick panel.
Old 03-19-2006, 06:33 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99LS1_TA
Which way did you ground the yellow and black wire? You don't want to ground the BCM, you want to ground the relay on the other end of the wire.

Another option would be to bypass the starter relay. The relay is located behind the dash on the passenger side, just to the right of the glove box, It is in a hard place to get to. Unplug the relay and jump the purple and yellow wire together. Note that your neutral safety or clutch switch will not work if you bypass the relay.

The Fuel pump relay is located behind the driver kick panel.
Thanks man . Its turning over now . Frist sign of life !!!

Quick Reply: VATS and BCM