Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3rd Gen LS1 Quick Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 02:38 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3rd Gen LS1 Quick Question

I've been looking at doing a 3rd gen camaro swap off and on for a few years. There is a website out there that gives a very good and very detailed step by step directions with lots of pictures. I would stumble upon that site all the time last year but can't seem to find it now. It was a white 91 camaro. They lifted the old engine out with a forklift. Thats all I can remember right now. If anyone has seen it, could you please post the link here. Also, if there are any other new sites out there that give lots of pics and detail from start to finish, feel free to include those links. Its time to get started on the work.

I'll be working with a 1992 White Heritage Edition (real, not just stripes) with 12,000 original and documented miles but with a seized motor. Apparently, he drained the oil before storing it and his son tried to take it for a joy ride while the owner was away without filling it with oil. For 8k, I'll take it.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:28 AM
TECH Regular

You're paying 8k for a 3rdgen with a blown engine?
Old 03-29-2006, 04:08 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.speartech.com/ Go to project cars, then 91 Z28 phase 1.

www.thirdgen.org has a lot of info on the ls1 swap.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

8k is a bit high id say but with 12000 original miles thats tough to look away from that car.

Those are good websites. If you google thirdgen ls1 swap or try some variations of that you will find a few others. Im in the same boat with you. Ive got a 92z28(hence the name) that im gonna be pulling the motor from and doing the whole swap.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:42 AM
Staging Lane

Start with a nice car, ya end up with a nice car! Hell, if the body is perfect, your money ahead, just in bodyshop expenses! GO for it!
Old 03-29-2006, 01:34 PM
Teching In

The only reason that I am considering buying this vehicle is because of the condition it is in and the rarity of the car. I'm not looking for a generic camaro to take to the track on weekends. I'm looking for an eye catcher that is dependable and will stay in my family for many years. From that standpoint, 8 grand is just a drop in the bucket. Everything through and through on the car is mint. From the carpets and seats, to the never-used center console. Everything is showroom. This just cut out the entire restoration part of this project I'm undertaking and left me with a simple engine swap. For 8 grand, I think I made out on it.
Old 03-29-2006, 01:35 PM
Teching In

By the way....The speartech site is what I was looking for. Its changed in format but still one of the best sites out there for this swap.
Old 03-29-2006, 05:28 PM
Staging Lane

Why is it so rare? I'm not familar with that package.
I would buy a mint car and engine swap it anyday, rather than buying a turd and fixing it up. But thats just my opinion.

Quick Reply: 3rd Gen LS1 Quick Question