Sponsored by:

ls1 into 96 s10 blazer 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 09:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls1 into 96 s10 blazer 4x4

Hello all,
I have a 96 S10 Blazer w/ 4.3 4l60e combo. The motor has finally let go, and I have wanted to switch to the 5.7 "r" motor due to ease of swap. Only problem is, they are about twice the cost of pullout's compared to the LS series engines.
My plan was to use the factory PCM with new PROM with the V8. Add two new injector wires into my harness, and go. It actually is a pretty simple swap.
Since this is slipping farther away and the LS engine is looking better and better, I may go this route.
I would like to control the engine with my factory VCM however. I think I've got it figured out except for the spark (maybe not, but I "think" so). My VCM can drive the injectors, I can add wires for the extra two. There are a few things that the engine has, but my computor does not. I do not think this will affect the driveablity however.
How can I control the spark with this? THe biggest reason I would like to use my VCM is because I need it for the gauges, 4wd, cruise, and transmission. I don't have Passkey, so that's another plus.

Any ideas or advice tips? Is it possible to run from my VCM? Tips on the 4wd also?
Thanks,
Mike
Old 04-04-2006, 09:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

you might check out the guys at currentperformance.com. They specialize in S truck swaps and I am pretty sure they can do what you need with just one computerto run it all.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Whats a 5.7 "r" motor? And it costs more than an lsx pullout
Old 04-04-2006, 10:39 PM
Teching In

The "r" is just the 8th didgit in the vin, let's you know it's a Vortech. They came in the 96 -00 trucks. They are great engine's, has a aluminum lower intake with a plastic upper plenum that houses the spider injection system. Kinda like a CFI type. I believe they were 260 hp stock, like 330 ft lbs. Responded very well to simple mod's, and are easy to swap into S-series of the same year, due to VERY similar wiring and VCM systems.

I just put the "R" in there, so nobody would think I'm talking about the 5.7 TBI engines (some people call them Vortech as well).

I really like the idea of the LS series, due to size and power output. Plus I have worked on a few in the trucks, so I am somewhat familiar with them. Just not familiar in the "swapping" sense.

Thanks,
Mike

They are going for about $1600 for the engine alone around here (eastern/central OHIO). Seems the yards are catching on to them. I called one of my favorite digs about a 5.3 from a truck, 42 thousand miles, complete engine and harness for $600 (this was the cheapest I could find) You can see why I'm starting to lean that way!!
Old 04-05-2006, 10:06 AM
TECH Resident

Hey Boss....

The cost of the engine is only a part of the equation.....

The 5.7 Vortec motor (96-00) is a "classic" SBC (mostly). Which means that engine mounts, headers, and oilpan are all readily available. And the front accessory drive of the 4.3 will swap over.

The LSx series in a 4x4 won't be nearly as easy. Mounts may be available (not confirmed if they fit 2nd gen trucks as yet), headers aren't, oilpan isn't available yet (may be soon, but its supposed to be about $500). The front accessory drive system doesn't swap over at all, which means you need to procure the C5 or C6 vette accessories (which aren't cheap). Truck accessories might fit (but would be EXTREMELY tight for radiator clearance), F-body accessories don't work (alternator and steering box try to occupy the same space). CTS-V accessories might work, but nobody knows a whole lot about them and I bet they're some serious money too.

Think very carefully about whether you want to do this swap or not. I did, and decided that I want to run the LSx platform, and am willing to spend the money / do the work to make it happen. I'm about to swap a 6.0L and 4L80E into a 1999 Bravada, while retaining AWD.

Lastly, shop around for motors. Don't lock yourself into the local area only. You can get some pretty good deals if you're willing to ship it. Case in point, I picked up my 6.0L / 4L80E combo (and some extra pieces) for $2350 shipped from Rhode Island. Local salvage yard pricing ranged from $3100 to $3500 at the 3 local yards (Maryland) that had motors. And the motor and trans have fewer miles than any of the ones local (26k vs 50k for the lowest mile motor).

'JustDreamin'
Old 04-05-2006, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

All you should need is the L31 Long block and intake. You would have to add wires for the extra injectors. Then reflash the computer. I know you can get a vortec 350 1600 bucks (rebuilt) at most parts houses, then find you aa intake o E-bay. It would be a lot less trouble than the LS swap.
Old 04-05-2006, 08:41 PM
TECH Resident

And if you're really tricky, you'll look for a better intake....

The CPI manifold with the spider assembly works fine, except it'll run out of fuel.....I think it can do enough fuel to safely get you to about 330 to 350hp (which for many people isn't enough).

If you're resourceful, you can procure the Mercruiser manifold, which uses individual injectors (which are replaceable). If I had learned of that option prior to getting hooked on the concept of a 6.0l LSx motor, I would have probably gone that way. WAY less work, IMO. And the Merc intake manifold solves the fuel induced hp limitation.

'JustDreamin'
Old 04-05-2006, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Or the ram jet 350 intake bolts on as well! Just more wiring to get it to work.

There are some write ups on the marine intake swap on the truck site. Doen't look to hard just have to make a harness for the injectors.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:12 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the info homies. I was unaware of the front accessory differences. I hadn't been able to figure out the oilpan yet either, although I had a few ideas.
I suppose I could go ahead and grab an older shortblock, bolt on a set of aluminum vortech heads and a HSR, and get movin down the road

Thanks for the info again,
Mike

Quick Reply: ls1 into 96 s10 blazer 4x4