Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Size Fuse With F-Body LS1 Fans?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 10:21 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question What Size Fuse With F-Body LS1 Fans?

Am using the usual Bosch 30 amp, dual relay set-up to control a set of stock F-Body LS1 fans...What size fuse should I go with, in the main power supply wire to the relays? Should each power wire, going to each of the relays, be fused separately? Thanks, Gar
Old 04-24-2006, 11:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am not sure what fuse size you should use but I would fuse each relay separately. I am using fusible links instead of fuses for my fans.....one F.link per relay.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Schitzo
I am not sure what fuse size you should use but I would fuse each relay separately. I am using fusible links instead of fuses for my fans.....one F.link per relay.

I am using fusible links also. I have 10 gauge wire with 14 gauge fusible links powering the relays. I am also using two 30 amp relays in parallel for each fan. I am using aftermarket SPAL fans instead of the FBody fans, if that makes a difference. The reason for the two 30 Amp relays instead of one big relay is availablity. If I ever have a failure, I can find the 30 amp at any parts store, I think the 60s would be harder to come by.

Pat
Old 04-24-2006, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Not to jack the thread or anything, but can any wire be used for a fusible link as long as there is a 4ga difference or do I have to buy dedicated fusible link wire?
Old 04-24-2006, 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would buy the real deal, it is designed to give way at certain load levels, regular wire may not be predictable. It's available at most "real" auto parts stores and it is not expensive. It is also color coded based on size.

Pat
Old 04-25-2006, 07:19 AM
TECH Resident

Question O.K., then...

Should I be using TWO of these relays PER fan?(instead of one) Are you saying use two for redundancy purposes, a back-up, in case one fails? What amp rating do each of these F-Body fans draw? Thanks, Gar
Old 04-25-2006, 07:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I beleive Stu Cool is using two 30 amps relays wired in parallel per fan. I was going to go this way but I had already wired up my setup for one relay per fan.........I use a 50 amp relay per fan
Old 04-25-2006, 08:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1GMCTruck
Should I be using TWO of these relays PER fan?(instead of one) Are you saying use two for redundancy purposes, a back-up, in case one fails? What amp rating do each of these F-Body fans draw? Thanks, Gar
Schitzo is right, I am using two relays in parallel for capacity, two 30 amp relays in parallel will carry 60 amps. I chose this route at the recommendation of Mark at Mad Electrical. A single higher amp relay would also work, but they may be harder to come by.

Pat
Old 04-26-2006, 08:39 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The other way to beat the relay availability demon is to buy an extra now and mount it next to the others.

You probably already have 2 relays there (1 for each fan, right), a 3rd would give you a spare. And if you mounted them all in an inconspicuous spot, nobody would know.

'JustDreamin'
Old 04-26-2006, 08:42 AM
Launching!

Using ordinary wire for a fuseable link would create a fire hazard.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:48 AM
TECH Resident

Thumbs up Great Input Guys...

Talked to my buddy last night who builds all the Year One cars & he recommended pretty much the same as you all have. 10 gauge wire feed to one 30 amp Bosch relay for each fan, with a minimum of 6" of 14 gauge fusable link wire included. Separate wire feeds to each fan/relay. He also said that the diodes are'nt really nesessary, that people wire into the relays. Mounting the relays anywhere I wanted in the engine compartment was also a concern of mine, as I really did'nt want to have to mount them right on the fan shroud, as some people do. He said that he actually wires them into the inside of the cars, to keep them dry, as the Bosch's are not waterproof. Next, all I have to do is research where/how the three A/C wires work??? Thanks again guys, Gar
Old 04-26-2006, 09:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Relay location

For what it is worth, I have my relays installed in an old first aid kit box mounted up inside my fender. The box is pretty water tight and it is close to the fans and headlights (I have relays for them too). It allows me to pull power from a central terminal that I have routed to the box using 8 gauge wire. My fused links are not as long as your friend recommends but I believe they will suffice. It is not all that pretty inside, but it is quite fucntional. The relays are held in place with Velcro.

Hopefully those links will work as images, if not I will edit the links in.

Pat
Old 04-26-2006, 07:55 PM
TECH Resident

Lightbulb But...Stu...???

Now where do you put your "ace" bandages & burn ointment??? I know...you could put a fake air cleaner on top of the engine for that stuff. I'm afraid to ask you where you make your girl keep her vanity mirror? First Aid Kit box, huh...hhhmmmmm...not a bad idea....Gar

Quick Reply: What Size Fuse With F-Body LS1 Fans?