Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ready for a heart transplant but don't know who to give it to...?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 11:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ready for a heart transplant but don't know who to give it to...?

Ok I have a really big decision to make and am looking for some opinions on what I should do. I own a 96 Z28 completely paid for and everything but my 3rd and 4th clutches in my 4L60E are burnt up so I'm trying to decide wether to put in another auto or do a T-56 swap. I am building the car for time attack racing or at least I want to. Now another question has come up that effects what I should do to the Z28 totally. I have acquired an LS-6 block and really want to build it. So I can either finish the LS-6 and put it in my camaro or save myself from having to buy a new LS PCM, harness, etc. and get a 2000 corvette notch back to put it in. So what I'm asking is in respect to weight balance for "track" racing and cornering, power, and what will just be a better idea over all $ wise and everything?:dontknow: I don't want a crazy powerful drag car, I want a time attack/street drag car. Like an ultimate street car for weekend "get togethers"
Old 04-25-2006, 01:23 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 96LT-1 Z28
Ok I have a really big decision to make and am looking for some opinions on what I should do. I own a 96 Z28 completely paid for and everything but my 3rd and 4th clutches in my 4L60E are burnt up so I'm trying to decide wether to put in another auto or do a T-56 swap. I am building the car for time attack racing or at least I want to. Now another question has come up that effects what I should do to the Z28 totally. I have acquired an LS-6 block and really want to build it. So I can either finish the LS-6 and put it in my camaro or save myself from having to buy a new LS PCM, harness, etc. and get a 2000 corvette notch back to put it in. So what I'm asking is in respect to weight balance for "track" racing and cornering, power, and what will just be a better idea over all $ wise and everything?:dontknow: I don't want a crazy powerful drag car, I want a time attack/street drag car. Like an ultimate street car for weekend "get togethers"
theres a whole lots of things that u will need to complete this the right way. its not cheap nor will it be way expensive if you do it right. you can spend anywhere from 1500$-15k$ to have it the way you want it.just depends on what exactly your doing. just did this to my 93 z.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:18 PM
Teching In

So you think I should put it in my camaro or the vette? Or just sell it and build the LT-1?
Old 04-26-2006, 07:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you're going to do anything on the roadcourse with the car, get the Corvette. It's an infinitely better platorm to start on.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

I agree on the Corvette vote, if you can do it realistically.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:53 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, you are looking for the whole package huh? If that is the case gotta ask yourself how much you are willing to spend. If you are realistically looking to roadrace go with the T56. As for LT1 vs LS1, eh I think it's foolish to get rid of the LT1 just because. LS1 is a better motor out of the box but how much once you get into max effort engines is debateable at best. Get a budget in mind and also weigh what it would cost to upgrade the camaro. Weigh it out and see. The Camaro can roadrace with the rest of them once you get it setup it will just take alittle more work to get it there.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:26 PM
Teching In

Thanks for helping me out and posting on my thread. Ok I have found corvettes in great condition with an average of 50,000 miles. T-56 and all for $20,000. If I go down the vette road I could pull the LS-1 in it sell it for like what 4 or 5 grand(I don't know what 50,000 mile LS-1s go for) and use that to pay for the vette for awhile. Cause I am starting to build the LS-6 block sitting in my garge. So I'll have that to put in the vett. Another question; since I have the bare block out and can build it anyway I want to right now, what setup should I go with. Boost? turbos or supercharger? N/A or a Nitrous setup cause I will still be doing street drag along with autocross/time attack. I really appreciate your guys help.
Old 04-29-2006, 12:30 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Since you are asking for opinions here is mine. The optispark sitting under the waterpump just kills the LT1 for me. Other than that feature the LT1 is a good motor, for me the LS1 or LSX engines are the way to go. I have recently read of people removing the optispark and installing a distributor on the LT1. I think that is a solution but it seems like a lot of trouble why not just go with an LS1, fuel injected, distributorless, and computer tweakable.

So the LSX in my opinion is THE motor to go with, my other choice would be a Chevy 350 or the new Chevrolet 572 crate motor. The LSX would give you better streetablity and also power for the track. Plus you can load different programs in the PCM for touring, track, or fuel economy for the Power Tour.

As for the body or platform Corvettes are all about performance and it wouldn't take much to make it better. You can get other cars to handle better but it just takes more money. Besides everyone wants a Corvette and it will always turn heads wither it is bone stock or highly modified.

I personally would love to have a say 1967 Corvette with an LS1 and a new Art Morrison frame all set up with the new C5 stuff. That to me would be the best.

I currently have a 1986 El Camino that I just swapped in an LS1 and 4l60e and I plan on making a pro touring car to handle the curves like a Corvette and also drag it down the strip every now and then. But it will be a daily driver and just a nice street car as I will not get too radical with it. I like the car so it is my platform of choice. It is different and besides they don't make the El Camino any more. I bought it new in 1986 so it means a lot to me.

Just my opinion.

James
Old 04-29-2006, 03:22 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 96LT-1 Z28
So you think I should put it in my camaro or the vette? Or just sell it and build the LT-1?
sorry about the slow response. dont get on much. however i think the ls1 would defintely be worth the conversion.

Quick Reply: Ready for a heart transplant but don't know who to give it to...?