Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel evaporation system?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 03:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Fuel evaporation system?

I started a thread in External engine, but maybe you all can help. What is everyone doing about the evaporation system?

I will be running an '95 Impala Tank and would like to minimize fuel lines.

Remove it and run a vented cap, keep it, charcoal canister.... Any ideas.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/505280-what-fuel-line.html
Old 05-11-2006, 03:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stealth71
I started a thread in External engine, but maybe you all can help. What is everyone doing about the evaporation system?

I will be running an '95 Impala Tank and would like to minimize fuel lines.

Remove it and run a vented cap, keep it, charcoal canister.... Any ideas.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=505280

on the swaps ive done, i keep the stock evap solution for that car.if that setup requires a line into the engine, i use the evap connection on the intake, otherwise i just cap it.

if you're ditching the stock setup for some reason (space, looks ect..) then jsut get a small charcoal canister and vent it thru that... the canister is there just so fuel vapor doesnt escape.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is going in my '71 Chevelle and the stock solution was removed long before it became mine. Would I just run a hose from one of the tank outs into a canister mounted near the tank? I could probably pull a canister from any car at the salvage yard correct?

What did everyone else use?
Old 05-11-2006, 05:27 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I used the stock canister that was on my car, and routed the vent line from that too the Evap solenoid on the intake. If you want to use a GM charcoal canister you can just hook the vent line from the tank to it and then the output from it to the solenoid on the intake. If you grab a canister from a 78-87 A/G body or B body it will be the setup I just described, or you can grab a canister from a newer GM and the solenoid will be on it, then you can remove the solenoid on the manifold, and route those wires to the solenoid on the canister. Either way it is basically the same setup, just the solenoid location changes.
Old 05-11-2006, 06:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I completely deleted mine and took all the evap codes out... Would that be a bad thing?
Old 05-11-2006, 06:42 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Slo_240sx
I completely deleted mine and took all the evap codes out... Would that be a bad thing?
Only if you need to be emissions legal. If not that will work just fine. I kept mine because it wasn`t that difficult, was cheap, better for the environment, and now there should never be any gas odor like would be possible if the tank was just vented to atmosphere
Old 05-11-2006, 09:32 PM
Staging Lane

I'm using the ls1 tank with mine, and keeping the ls1 solinoid by the intake manifold. Will i need to hook up the fresh air silonoid on the tank for anything? Or can i just keep that one closed, and keep the one on the intake always open?
Old 05-12-2006, 04:12 PM
On The Tree

I am using a vented cap from autozone and everything is fine.

EDIT: I am posting on my brother's account, I have an LS2 crate engine in a 94 Z28.
Old 05-14-2006, 07:04 PM
Teching In

Can't you just remove the evac solenoid at the intake; plug the intake and the vapor outlet on the tank and use a vented gas cap?

Quick Reply: Fuel evaporation system?