Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EVAP removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006 | 12:40 PM
Teching In

Default EVAP removal

Could someone give a little guidence on removing the evap system. I have a LS1 out of a 2002 TA that's going into a 56 corvette. I have all the stock lines and pump from the TA but was planning on using the fuel filter/regulator from a 99 vette for the conversion. Any help would be great. Thanks John
Old 05-13-2006 | 01:05 PM
Conversion master

What are you using for a gas tank?
What do you mean by the TA pump? Do you mean the entire pump/regulator/ sending unit assembly?

You can disconnect the EVAP system from the intake manifold and cap off the connection. Two lines from the tank to the regulator then one line from the regulator to the fuel rail. Get rid of the EVAP all together.
Old 05-14-2006 | 07:54 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 70 LS1
What are you using for a gas tank?
What do you mean by the TA pump? Do you mean the entire pump/regulator/ sending unit assembly?

You can disconnect the EVAP system from the intake manifold and cap off the connection. Two lines from the tank to the regulator then one line from the regulator to the fuel rail. Get rid of the EVAP all together.
I'm using a 1957 Corvette Gas Tank. I have the complete pump ***'y from the TA pump/regulator/sending unit. There are three fitting on the TA pump ***'y Pressure, Return and ? Is that vapor? Can that just be plugged if the tank is vented? I may just use and external pump. My main concern is what to do with the vapor lines. Thanks
Old 05-14-2006 | 11:42 AM
Conversion master

If you use the TA pump, there is no need for an external regulator. It is built into the pump unit.
Old 05-14-2006 | 06:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 70 LS1
If you use the TA pump, there is no need for an external regulator. It is built into the pump unit.
What about the vapor lines can these just be plugged at the intake and on the pump? Thanks
Old 05-14-2006 | 07:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Also remember to delete the codes from the PCM.
Old 05-14-2006 | 07:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Slo_240sx
Also remember to delete the codes from the PCM.
Do you mean reprogram the PCM so you don't get the codes?
Old 05-14-2006 | 07:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by lechner80
Do you mean reprogram the PCM so you don't get the codes?
You may call it "reprogram" but it's simply removing code number "xxx" so that the computer isn't looking for that as a "check mark" on it's long list of properly funtioning items.

If the car was a production car like (C5 or Trans Am) and you were on the chassis dyno getting tuned to fix the air/fuel ratio from swapping in an aggressive camshaft, they may "tune out" the map sensor code "106" so when the map sensor reads low manifold vacuum at idle it wont look for that code to throw an error.

Same thing with the evap system, although I don't know what codes pertain to the evap system depending on your year model computer.

Most use "LS1edit" or "hptuners" to edit codes and all other computer aspects. ~Joshua

Congrats on the '56. That's my favorite C1 body style. I love the head lights and grill compared to the single on the '57 and the quad on the '59+
Old 05-14-2006 | 11:34 PM
Conversion master

Originally Posted by lechner80
What about the vapor lines can these just be plugged at the intake and on the pump? Thanks
Yes. I don't know which fitting on the pump is the vapor, but plug that one.

I didn't delete the EVAP codes and the car runs fine. It will however light your check engine light.
Old 05-14-2006 | 11:46 PM
TECH Junkie

if its in a 56, i doubt there even is a check engine light. any pics of the car?
Old 05-15-2006 | 09:01 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Phoenix 5.7
if its in a 56, i doubt there even is a check engine light. any pics of the car?
I do plan on having a check engine light; it does not have one now. I haven't figured out how to post pictures yet.
Old 05-15-2006 | 09:09 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FIREHAWK#608
You may call it "reprogram" but it's simply removing code number "xxx" so that the computer isn't looking for that as a "check mark" on it's long list of properly funtioning items.

If the car was a production car like (C5 or Trans Am) and you were on the chassis dyno getting tuned to fix the air/fuel ratio from swapping in an aggressive camshaft, they may "tune out" the map sensor code "106" so when the map sensor reads low manifold vacuum at idle it wont look for that code to throw an error.

Same thing with the evap system, although I don't know what codes pertain to the evap system depending on your year model computer.

Most use "LS1edit" or "hptuners" to edit codes and all other computer aspects. ~Joshua

Congrats on the '56. That's my favorite C1 body style. I love the head lights and grill compared to the single on the '57 and the quad on the '59+
Since I do not have "LS1edit" or "hptuners" this is something that should be done when I send my PCM to be programed? Correct?
Old 05-15-2006 | 09:14 AM
11 Second Club

Yes tell them you want it removed when the PCM is flashed. Are you planning on running a vented gas cap or charcoal canister? There needs to be a way for air to move into and out of the tank. I have not yet solved this problem. Any reccomendations?
Old 05-15-2006 | 09:31 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by stealth71
Yes tell them you want it removed when the PCM is flashed. Are you planning on running a vented gas cap or charcoal canister? There needs to be a way for air to move into and out of the tank. I have not yet solved this problem. Any reccomendations?
I think I'm going to use a vented gas cap since that was original on the 56 but as of now I'm not sure.

Quick Reply: EVAP removal