Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the best way to build in Anti Theft?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 03:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So even if a VATS was setup by adding the correct key cylinder and wiring. Couldn't this be overridden by tuning VATS out w/ a laptop. Hotwire the car for power hook up the laptop and tune it out.
Old 05-22-2006, 03:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stealth71
So even if a VATS was setup by adding the correct key cylinder and wiring. Couldn't this be overridden by tuning VATS out w/ a laptop. Hotwire the car for power hook up the laptop and tune it out.

yes.
if you bypass the starter relay, and reflash the PCM(or swap PCMs) you can steal it.

however anyone with that technical knowledge and that amount of planning will steal your car anyway.

VATS was made to stop the guys who crack the column open and slide the ignition on.... not for the criminal masterminds who spend hours plotting how to steal your car for a 15min joyride.

Last edited by MrDude_1; 05-22-2006 at 03:24 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-22-2006, 03:41 PM
12 Second Club

If you have a MSD box it shows in the wiring diagrams how to wire in a kill switch that will not send spark so they can crank it all they want but it will not fire.
Old 05-22-2006, 04:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

put the fuel pump relay in the trunk, then pull a wire off that...
Old 05-22-2006, 05:33 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
this is for your 86 elky, correct?

if you're really intrested in doing this, i can give you more indepth info, but basiclly, with this system, the car is almost impossible to steal without a towtruck.
This sounds like the route I want to go for a passive yet simple device. So yes please give me some details how to add this to my vehicle. I have EFILive so I can make changes.

Thanks
Old 05-22-2006, 07:56 PM
Conversion master

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
GM was nice enough to leave the PWM signal code in there on their serial trucks.... so all you need is HPtuners/EFIlive and select PWM instead of Serial (or none) and you can then do what i was talking about above.
That's good to know. Thanks.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:34 PM
On The Tree

It's been a long time since I messed with a third gen. Isn't the key cylinder a bit larger in diameter than a standard GM cylinder of the same era, or does my memory fail me (again)? If it is the same diameter, that would make for an easy retrofit.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:44 PM
11 Second Club

Well I think the main point is if they want it they will get it. There is always the brute force technique. Just need a way to slow them down. That is the key.

There is nothing a trailer and dollies can't handle.

Luckily for now my ride will be all go and no show, so the average on looker won't know what's in it.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

You could wire a toggle switch to your fuel pump relay. That way the relay wont kick on unless the toggle switch is flipped, hence no gas.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:52 PM
Teching In

I put a radio controlled key fob activated switch under my rear arm rest that activates and deactivates the power wire to the fuel pump. It’s completely hidden and untraceable. All I have to do is hit the button on my keychain as I leave and enter the car. It the power to the switch is cut, it automatically opens the switch.

Chris
Old 05-23-2006, 12:39 PM
Launching!

IF you passlock your PCM then they can't make changes.

Ok, VATS is the way I want to go with a resistor code ignition switch so now what components do I need?
Old 05-23-2006, 01:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by jdperk-86elco
IF you passlock your PCM then they can't make changes.

Ok, VATS is the way I want to go with a resistor code ignition switch so now what components do I need?

first, you need your donor car... what do you plan on getting the VATS module from?

id say 3rdgen Fbody, but most 'yards dont have them anymore... they've been picked clean years ago and are now crushed...

required components:
a way for the VATS key chip contacts to work.. aka, the lock cyl or the whole column.
the VATS module from a car.

once you tell me what car you have it from, i can give you the wiring.

ideally, you want the key to go with it too.. but thats optional..

if you want a new lock cyl and matching key, you can order it from both part stores and GM... you may be able to get the VATS module new too, but i dont know if they're still availible. they were a few years ago.

if you're going to the dealership, tell them you have a 91 or 92 camaro...

for things like this, im a junkyard/used parts kind of guy myself, but i can understand if you want a new one.

once you have thoes two bits, its just wiring and a relay.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:48 PM
TECH Junkie

heres some scans of a GM manual i have... this is all the VATS info you need for passkey1 systems..... if you pick it from a 90+ camaro, this will all match up with these scans perfectly..

sorry the pics are loaded out of order, i kept going between resizing and dropping quality on them till they fit.. the last page is the bulk of the wiring... the first one is the second page, and the middle one is some of the text about its operation.
Attached Thumbnails What is the best way to build in Anti Theft?-vats2.jpg   What is the best way to build in Anti Theft?-vats3.jpg   What is the best way to build in Anti Theft?-vats1-smaller.jpg  
Old 05-23-2006, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

wire some carzy **** like in the transporter. key pad to allow it to start.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:57 PM
On The Tree

dont mean to hi-jack but will the bcm in a 2001 s-10 work properly with a pcm out of a 2000 silverado. I dont know much about the subject so any info would be good.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:10 PM
Launching!

i am going to hide some kind of an on/off button toggle inside my cigarette lighter and take the element out. that way when i push in the lighter it hits a button that will allow the car to start. when i turn off the power the switch will reset to off and won't come back on with out hitting the lighter again. either that or run the wire from the ignition to a good old fashioned starter push button in the lighter to the starter so that the lighter has to be pressed in while turning the key for the car to even crank over. simple low tech and effective.

Last edited by rocketrider93; 05-23-2006 at 06:16 PM.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:35 PM
Launching!

What about the new GM Pass III plus system? How about wiring its system into the car? Any aftermarket systems out there?

What about getting the parts from GM directly?
Old 05-23-2006, 10:53 PM
Conversion master

Enlighten us on the Pass III system. What is it?
Old 05-23-2006, 11:02 PM
Conversion master

OK, quick google search to the rescue. Pass Key III uses an RFID transponder built into the key. Basically replaces the resistor in key concept. If the BCM doesn't recognize a valid key then it won't send the VATS signal to the PCM.

You might be able to replicate the system. You would need a correct key, corresponding lock cylinder, receiver module and BCM.

OR

You could buy an aftermarket RFID type transponder based imobilizer. It would consist of a transponder on your keychain that activates a relay wherever you want disabling whatever you want.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:06 PM
Conversion master

Looks like the difference with the PLUS is it has code hopping ability. This allows the car and transponder to send a different challenge and response each time it is used.

Quick Reply: What is the best way to build in Anti Theft?