Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the best way to build in Anti Theft?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 10:31 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default What is the best way to build in Anti Theft?

With these swaps what is the best way to build in an anti theft. I was thinking of hiding a switch that will break the run wire to the PCM will this hurt any thing and with this work?

I have heard of a valet mode where the speed of the car can be limited to 35 mph or something, anyone have any information on that?

What I want is to prevent someone from driving off with the car without the key or trying to hotwire the car. I figure a hidden switch would work or something like that.

Any ideas or has anyone done something similar for their swap?
Old 05-16-2006, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

put a toggle inline with your +12 ign wire, prevents starter from being bumped. Since your car is auto, it cant be clutch started.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 67RSCamaroVette
put a toggle inline with your +12 ign wire, prevents starter from being bumped. Since your car is auto, it cant be clutch started.
So you suggest the starter wire, ah yeah that would work but what is the amperage for the starter solenoid. I would think I would need a high amp switch for that.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is there any way to wire in a kill switch like that for a manual car? I was thinking maybe a switch that disables spark?
Old 05-16-2006, 11:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 67Ranger
is there any way to wire in a kill switch like that for a manual car? I was thinking maybe a switch that disables spark?

That is what I am thinking that if I opened the Ignition Run power wire to the PCM the car would crank but wouldn't start. I am just not sure if it would hurt the car or PCM. The would be thief would suspect anything since the car would crank but wouldn't start.

Any other ideas?
Old 05-16-2006, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that's what I would do. Don't cut the main power wire, the PCM needs +12v all the time or it acts up.

I'd switch into the purple wire that cranks the motor, it doesnt need to carry much juice. I rigged it with an 18g wire just to test my starter, worked fine. I'm going to put a toggle up under the ashtray lid to disarm the starter.

OR

+12V ignition switched to PCM. the pcm will be asleep as the engine cranks.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:28 AM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

yeah, I've built a few hidden switches in the past for my cars.

One I had hidden in the arm rest (I made the vinyl piece on top a hidden door with a toggle switch inside.

I've also burind a switch under the carpet in a non disturbed area. press the carpet and voila, the car is "off" (by grounding the ignitio)

the trick, imo, is to make the switch in a lower area where it's not obvious to others who may look in your window. also avoid common areas like under the seat, etc.

I know of people who have converted dashboard switches into kill switches. It has saved thier car from being stolen before, too.

good luck!
Old 05-17-2006, 07:46 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can have the VATS in the PCM enabled and buy or build a vats simulator which you can unplug. Garuuuunteed to prevent theft.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:49 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RFERG43
You can have the VATS in the PCM enabled and buy or build a vats simulator which you can unplug. Garuuuunteed to prevent theft.
Go on, please explain how the VATS operates and also how to build a simulator. How would one implement this and suggestions of how to simulate?

Very Interesting...since everyone eliminates the VATS to get their swap to start....
Old 05-17-2006, 07:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jdperk-86elco
Go on, please explain how the VATS operates and also how to build a simulator. How would one implement this and suggestions of how to simulate?

Very Interesting...since everyone eliminates the VATS to get their swap to start....
70LS1 did this exact thing in his Corvette.

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/70lt1/vats.shtml
Old 05-17-2006, 08:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Put a switch somewhere that cuts power to the fuel pump. No gas = no go.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:03 AM
Conversion master

Originally Posted by Scooter70
70LS1 did this exact thing in his Corvette.

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/70lt1/vats.shtml
Thats probably your best bet. You can see how small the vats box is in the pic. I have since put on a much smaller plug with shorter wires. Just pull it and the car will only run for about 2 seconds before it dies. I have the box hidden in the interior and remove it when I get out of the car. Fits nicely in my pocked and I don't even lock the car anymore.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:22 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mark IXZD 150
Put a switch somewhere that cuts power to the fuel pump. No gas = no go.

This would probably be the most simplist solution but if the thief finds the switch then by by car. I guess any hidden switch can be found.

I guess I am looking for something simple to use everyday, can't be easily defeated without major work and prevents the car from being moved.

1. So if I cut ignition then the car would crank but wouldn't start.

2. If I cut fuel pump operation then the car would start until the fuel is out of the manifold about 5 to 10 seconds?

3. If I kill the start wire then it wouldn't crank at all but they could crawl under the car and "50 amp screw driver" the starter if they get the ignition switch in the run position.

4. The VATS isn't a bad idea and can't be defeated unless they generate that signal, very interesting, as it can't easily be defeated. The drawback is one either removeds its box or adds a switch again.

What about using an ignition switch with a code build in that must be present for the VATS to work that way down to a special key? I do like the VAT simulator though as it seems undefeatable.

Hmmmm somethings to think about.....
Old 05-17-2006, 09:52 AM
Conversion master

What about an RFID based engine imobilizer tied into the PCM somewhere? That way if you don't have the transponder on your keychain, then the car will have no power.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:53 AM
11 Second Club

RFID is easily copied, but they would have to know you're using it and scan your tag.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:09 AM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If they want your car that bad they'll just tow it or carjack you when it is running. howeve,r they say thattime is the bigges enemy for a theif. the more you can do to slo them down, the better your odds are of having your car where you parked it.

I like the idea of the removable vats box, and the fuel cutoff is good, too.

all good ideas...
Old 05-17-2006, 11:16 AM
TECH Addict

Hi Guys, In EFILive tuning software You can run a custom operating system in the vehicle, that will allow you to run a security type program. What it is called in efilive is valet mode. You can shut off the car, make different speedlimiters ect. It is very cool. You can download the software for free on the website to check it out. www.efilive.com in the download section. Then look for the custom os systems. Very Cool. Jes
Old 05-17-2006, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Have you ever considerred a 'trunk monkey'?
Old 05-17-2006, 11:52 AM
TECH Addict

LOL, Those commercials are hilarious!
Old 05-17-2006, 12:50 PM
Launching!

To use the Custom OS's from EFILive one has to have the Commercial version to flash the PCM with the new OS, can't do that with the Personal version.

I know that is an option that give a Valet mode but can this mode limit the car to creaping no more than 10 mph?

I like the Valet mode but I am looking for other options before I spend more money on the Commercial mode, besides I haven't worked with EFI long enough to get comfortable with it.

Quick Reply: What is the best way to build in Anti Theft?