Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is LT1 worth using for conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006 | 09:33 AM
Teching In

Default Is LT1 worth using for conversion?

Sorry if this is in the wrong spot since I'm posting in LS1 conversions. But it's related...
I can get a Lt1 from a '93 Camaro that has 25k miles since it was rebuilt by American Engine X-change in 2002. It comes with a Tremec T56 tranny and everything from pan to intake and ECM but no harness. The T56 has 130k miles but does have a clutch with only 25k miles.

First off what is this setup worth?
Second, is this worth the work and money involved to put into a '71 Firbird?

I've considered the LS1 conversion for over a year, but it's just out of my budget. Will the LT1 conversion be cheaper and easier than an LS1 conversion?

Thanks in advance...
Old 05-18-2006 | 09:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

it will be easier and cheaper. you still have to do fuel system mods, but it's much easier to install, seeing as it's the same externally as a small block chevy. you'll still need a transmission crossmember, electric fans, fuel system, a shortened driveshaft, and a few other things (i'm not too familiar with lt1 swaps.) it'll be cheaper because you can get the motor and trans for cheaper, not necessarily because the components to install cost less.
Old 05-18-2006 | 09:51 AM
Teching In

Do you think going from a Pontiac 400 with th400 to the LT1 with 6 speed is worth it?
Old 05-18-2006 | 10:07 AM
Launching!

The LT1 is a great engine and will run very strong. It is, unfortunately, overlooked because of the popularity of the LS1 coming out shortly after the LT1's arrival.

You will receive critisism from diehard Pontiac guys for putting a chevy (or any non pontiac) engine in a vintage Pontiac. If this would bother you, then think 2x first. (Assuming it's going into a '71 Formula??)

The LT1 will be lighter than the Pontiac engine, giving your car better weight bias/ less overall weight. But, you'll have some custom modifications since this engine never came in a 2nd gen car.

If you can get a good price for the LT1 (check ebay as well as some salvage yards to see what they are selling these for) then I say go for it!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do
Old 05-18-2006 | 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic
10 Year Member20 Year Member

Depends on what you want to do with the car.

LT1s are great motors and as mention above the same basic dimension as a regular 350. Doesn't the LT1 use normal SBC mounts? If so you need to get some OEM mounts, some headers made for the later D port heads, and parts mentioned above. The advantage to the LT1 motor I would think is that motor mounts, headers and oil pans are readily available.

http://www.pro-touring.com would have more info on the LTx swaps
Old 05-18-2006 | 08:54 PM
sawzall wielding director
20 Year Member

Yep, you can use stock SBC mounts on an LT1, but you have to relocate the A/C compressor.
Old 05-18-2006 | 09:03 PM

There not a bad swap, the hoods ported right can flow really great for a production 23*, they make prety good power with the right mods, you can also use a GMPP Intake to convert it to use a carb and SBC style distributor if you didnt want to mess with it being fuel injected. They arent bad for what they are.
Old 05-18-2006 | 09:26 PM
Staging Lane

Personally, I would put a 455 in it! Torque out the yin-yang and they arent too expensive.
Old 05-20-2006 | 04:55 AM
Launching!

LS1's are pretty plentiful, inexpensive, and have much more aftermarket support than the LT1. If I were going to do a swap like that, I'd seriously consider going with the LS1 unless I had had access to a really nice free LT1.
Old 05-20-2006 | 11:34 PM
Launching!

The LT1 is a good motor for power but it has one major flaw that I personally think that it isn't worth messing with, that flaw is the Opti Spark mounted on the front of the motor under the water pump. When the water pump starts leaking it takes out the opti spark distributor.

I would go one of two options for a motor, I would get a standard Pontiac motor or a Chevy crate 350 and go that route with either carb setup or an aftermarket fuel injection if that is what you want.

The second option I would just go with the LS1. It has everything one could ask for in a motor. The only difficult part is making it fit however there are enough of us guys doing this kind of swap that someone has solved all the issues and you can glean all that knowledge to make your swap easy.

This is just my opinion.

If cost is the real issue then wait a little longer and save up the money to go the LS1 route or the route you want. I think it is better to get what you want or one will never be happy, kind of like settling.
Old 05-22-2006 | 10:34 AM
Staging Lane

LT1 + Optispark =

i heard people machining the intake and using a distributor!?!?!

what a waste. i used to love those motors too till the LS1 came out
Old 05-22-2006 | 11:14 AM
On The Tree

i'd say go for the LT1. eg: i personally have $1500 invested in a bone stock, complete '95 LT1 w/ every accessory, wiring harness, computer, and 4L60E. and i bought it out of a clean car w/ 74k on it. i have yet to see a 5.7L LS1 w/ a transmission that complete sell that cheap, they will usually sell around $3k or so. now for the issue of the opti spark and the water pump: my mother daily drives her '95 buick roadmaster that has 130k on it and it is still running on the stock water pump and opti spark. as an extra vehicle(parts getter) my parents also have a '94 chevy caprice wagon that has 110k on it. at about 80k or so the water pump did go out, but we caught it in time before it knocked out the opti spark. LT1's are a good engine. no, they dont perform as well as the LS1's and so forth and the opti is in a bad location, but they still work. just my .02
Old 05-22-2006 | 11:25 AM
TECH Fanatic
10 Year Member20 Year Member

Originally Posted by jeremymcclure
LT1 + Optispark =

i heard people machining the intake and using a distributor!?!?!

what a waste. i used to love those motors too till the LS1 came out
They aren't that bad. I have replaced one opti at just over 100k and that was a 93 which is the early design. 2 other cars had 80k on them and never an opti problem.
Old 05-22-2006 | 12:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

seems like you had a choice between the LS1 and LT1 but leaned toward the LT1 because of the cost. If you think about it, the costs to swap the two will be somewhat close.

You will need the adapter plates for the LS1.....but then again you can get them for as low as $40 and they work......as me how I know

Besides mounting, everyting else you do for the LS1 will have to be done for the LT1.....you have to change the fuel system, get a new trans crossmember, adapt the hydraulic clutch system, shorten the driveshaft, get the harness and ECM reworked.....etc

It all comes down to what you get after all the nights in the garage and the $$$ spent. The LT1 is by no means a bad engine....the LS1 is just better and worth the extra penny.

save up....sell a few parts...hit the salvage yards for parts.......and soon you'll have a LS1 71formula.......

and if any die hard poncho guys give you crap.....take them to the track and shut them up
Old 05-22-2006 | 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Schitzo
and soon you'll have a LS1 71formula.......

and if any die hard poncho guys give you crap.....take them to the track and shut them up
Or Simply tell them it is a Pontiac motor, it came out of a late model TransAm or GTO!

Pat
Old 05-22-2006 | 02:08 PM
Launching!

I'm with the opti=JUNK crowd...I've seen so many friends with LT1's replace opti's I can barely stand it. I think opti's in normally driven with few mods cars usually hold up OK. Its when you do alot of hard hi RPM driving they seem to take a dump. Most of the ones that I've seen go have been due to that rather than water pump failures.
Old 05-22-2006 | 02:51 PM
On The Tree

ever consider the 5.3 truck engine? similar power to the LT1 stock-for-stock, still gen III, and cost a whole lot less $$ to start...
but if you want the T-56, you'll have to get it seperate.
Old 05-22-2006 | 04:32 PM
Launching!

MSD just came out with an optispark replacement. It looks pretty good. Check out their website.
Old 05-22-2006 | 04:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bone324
MSD just came out with an optispark replacement. It looks pretty good. Check out their website.
I know alot of guys waiting on that damn thing...Its release has been getting pushed back now for 6+ months. Check summit...earlier this month their website said late may they'd be ready now its pushed back to mid June. They've been doin this for so long ...I dunno if they will ever release em.
Old 05-22-2006 | 07:54 PM
12 Second Club
15 Year Member

I thought somepeople have allready installed them.

Quick Reply: Is LT1 worth using for conversion?