Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

62 Suburban

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 09:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 62 Suburban

Well I recently found a 62 'burban. It's currently not running so I was thinking of finding a wrecked Tahoe/Yukon Suburban/Yukon XL to swap drivetrains and interiors possibly... Now I've been spending all my time with my thirdgen swap so I haven't done much research (especially since I found this suburban today), but from the past 4 or 5 hours (at home sick) I have spent researching I haven't found much. I was wondering what problems I would run into with this conversion.. Also if anyone can lead me to any message boards concerning this vehicle since I have had no luck finding any classic gm truck boards... Thanks all.

Peace
Erik

Last edited by RitzBlitz; 07-19-2006 at 10:07 PM.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:35 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RitzBlitz
Also if anyone can lead me to any message boards concerning this vehicle since I have had no luck finding any classic gm truck boards...
-chevytalk.com
-67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-20-2006, 12:50 AM
Teching In

Hey thanks a bunch. Anyone else?
Old 07-20-2006, 08:42 AM
Teching In

i dont know about the wheel base on a 62 suburban, but on my 70 short bed i was able to use a 2002 frame and motor and it fit pretty damn good. the old frame was about 37 inches wide and the new is about 52 inches wide so pretty much i cut the body mounts off and welded them to the inside of the the new frame. another thing when i test fitted the cab to the new frame it has two holes that lined up with the two front bolts to the cab all i did was open them up about 1/2 an inch and drop the cab on. i had to add the back brackets and set the right angle for the cab but when i fitted the fenders and bed it lined up perfect around the tires. its like gm knew what the were doing. heres a few pics.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:44 AM
Teching In

Old 07-20-2006, 08:46 AM
Teching In

i'lll try and find more pics of the process to help you out.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:55 AM
On The Tree

I am not familar with old subs, but is it 2wd or 4wd, and which are you looking to do? If the sub is 4wd, it will be a passenger side drop front solid axle, and all late model GM trucks are drivers side drop transfer cases, with IFS. It would probably be simpler to do as 67lowrod described and make up new body mounts and a later model frame. You will end up with much better brakes, steering, and suspension, and fabbing body mounts is simple in the grand scheme of things...
Old 07-20-2006, 12:42 PM
Teching In

Yeah that's what I started thinking last night about the frame... It's a 2 wheel drive so dropping it on to a new frame would be my best bet. I'm gonna look for the dimensions but I'm afraid that I may be out of luck with the Suburban relatively matching up with anything.

67lowrod,
Thanks, hopefully this will be doable and thanks again for the info. Good luck with your truck, should be sweet.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:51 PM
On The Tree

I doubt that it will match up to a newer sub frame, but the later model 4 door Tahoe might be real close...
Old 07-20-2006, 12:59 PM
Teching In

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Oh well I guess I'm off to do some more research, good thing I'm all cooped up at home and sick lol.

Quick Reply: 62 Suburban