Sponsored by:

Help.. My LS1 runs for 1 sec and shuts off

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 08:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help.. My LS1 runs for 1 sec and shuts off

Hi all,
I am using a C5 PCM and LS1 motor with a Camaro A4 Tranny. I got Jesse to flash out the PCM. I am trying to start it up for the first time and it ran for a quick second and then shut off. At one time it ran like 3 seconds and then shut off again. I had the fuel pressure gauge hooked up to the line and the pressure was good. I have a feeling it's the PCM shutting off because of something it detected missing. I've read the C5 service manuals and the C5 PCM needs to receive some signals from other control components in order for it to keep the car running. Otherwise it will shut off the fuel. I will call Jesse on Monday to see he can help. Any help here would be greatly appreciated. If someone had successfully done a swap with a C5 PCM please email me. I would like to get some in sight. Thanks guys and gals.
Vinh
Old 07-22-2006, 10:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Are you sure VATS (Vehicle Anti Theft System) is disabled?

That's how I think the PCM behaves...
Old 07-22-2006, 11:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99c5vert
Are you sure VATS (Vehicle Anti Theft System) is disabled?

That's how I think the PCM behaves...
I just got the PCM back from Jesse just for this. I think the C5 PCM is a bit more tricky comparing to the Fbody PCM because the C5 needs signals from other modules thru the serial line even while the car is running. If the PCM is not getting the required signals from other modules it will shut the fuel off.

I guess the best way for me to check is to loan or buy an Fbody PCM and put it in and see it starts up. Anyone in the PHilly area has an extra PCM that he/she can loan to me? lol.. Time to search on Ebay.
Old 07-22-2006, 11:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm in Maryland. How many times do you think you'd have to start it to get her down here one second at a time?
Old 07-22-2006, 11:35 PM
On The Tree

Hahaha.. I will wait til Monday to call Jesse. Thanks hehe
Old 07-25-2006, 07:03 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

does that not have the oil pressure sensor feed wire that keeps the fuel pressure relay energized after the prime cycle? Not sure if it works like other GM stuff but that's what holds the relay on once the motor is running.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:40 AM
On The Tree

Jesse said he definitely disabled the VATs system. I will have to read the code off the PCM to find out what's wrong with it.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bygblok
does that not have the oil pressure sensor feed wire that keeps the fuel pressure relay energized after the prime cycle? Not sure if it works like other GM stuff but that's what holds the relay on once the motor is running.
Not on LS1's. Other GM vehicles like the GrandAM has a fuel shut off tied in the the oil pressure switch. The LSx doesn't need an oil pressure signal. The Sensor in the back is just for the gauge and thats it.

Definately sounds like vats is enabled. I would check fuel pressure and if it is up to specs, then check the injector signals with a noid light. You may have a bad cam sensor or crank sensor, maybe even a MAF.
-Alex
Old 07-25-2006, 12:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Slo_240sx
Not on LS1's. Other GM vehicles like the GrandAM has a fuel shut off tied in the the oil pressure switch. The LSx doesn't need an oil pressure signal. The Sensor in the back is just for the gauge and thats it.
I read the schematic on alldata and one of them called the switch on the back of the block an oil pressure/fuel pump relay hold switch. The diagram I looked at was for a 2000 f-body car. I wasn't sure and didn't remember it being that way but when I saw the wiring diagram it made me question it. Thanks though..... one less thing to worry with on my conversion!!
Old 07-25-2006, 12:42 PM
On The Tree

yeah I read the C5 manual before and it didn't mention anything about the fuel pressure switch or relay.

Fuel pressure is good all the way thru and I check the fuel pump and it was on during crank. One possibility is I could have mistakenly swap the 2 wire plugs for the MAP and the CPS sensors. Either way I am not going to waste more time. I am going to try to get the code off the PCM. Thanks for the responses.
Vinh
Old 07-26-2006, 07:39 AM
On The Tree

Found the problem. I need to connect the BCM up with a resistor hook up to get the PASS-key function to work.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's good news Vinh, glad you got it figured out. Are you ready to drive now?

Pat
Old 07-26-2006, 08:59 AM
Launching!

glad you got it figured out. I'm sure I'll have my share of growing pains when I start the wiring process.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:05 AM
Conversion master

Originally Posted by LS1Cobra
Found the problem. I need to connect the BCM up with a resistor hook up to get the PASS-key function to work.

That doesn't make sense. VATS is PASS key. If it is really disabled then you don't need the BCM. Thats the whole point of turning VATS off.

I suggest you give John at Speartech a call. I seem to recall someone else having a similar problem and John was able to fix it without using the BCM.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 70 LS1
That doesn't make sense. VATS is PASS key. If it is really disabled then you don't need the BCM. Thats the whole point of turning VATS off.

I suggest you give John at Speartech a call. I seem to recall someone else having a similar problem and John was able to fix it without using the BCM.
Same thing I was thinking. That resistor does the same thing as shutting of VATS. Maybe its common with the c5 PCM?
Old 07-26-2006, 02:04 PM
On The Tree

Guys,
The VATs and the PASS-key are 2 different functions. The PASS-key is the only way to prevent the car from stolen. If you remove the BCM you can disable the VATs system.

I talked to John at Speartech too and he said he had problem with the 98 C5 PCM also. Guess what? mine is a 98 C5 PCM.

The PASS-key interface with the BCM and the BCM sends "fuel enable signal" to the PCM thru the DLC line. Let me see if I can find an article I found in my Service Info software for the C5.

OK I found it.. Have fun reading..

Vinh
PS. yeah I should be able to start it up when I get back from work. Can't wait to hear this baby running :o) with open exhaust. I will record some sound clip to put on here.

PASS-Key Programming
The service BCMs EEPROM chip must be programmed with the proper RPO configurations by using a scan tool. The EEPROM stores information regarding the vehicle options and point of sale. If the BCM is not properly configured with the correct RPO codes, the BCM will set default values for some systems, which could cause malfunctions in other systems. When the BCM is replaced, the BCM must be programed to identify the following information:

Real Time Damping (RTD)
Memory Options
Daytime Running Lamps (DRL)
Front Fog Lamps
Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM)
HVAC (C60-Manual, CJ2-Automatic)
Country of Sale (US, Canada, Europe, Japan, etc.)
The BCM sends password information to the PCM on the serial data line to enable fuel for Content Theft Deterrent (CTD) functions, therefore, the PCM must also be programmed to accept the new password sent by the BCM. The BCM programming procedure will enable the learn password mode for both the BCM and PCM. This mode allows the PCM to learn the new password sent by the BCM whenever the BCM or PCM is replaced. If the BCM and PCM is not properly programmed together, the vehicle will exhibit a no start condition and the PCM will store a DTC P1631.

When an ignition key or the BCM is replaced, the BCM must be programmed to accept the resistance value of the new or existing vehicle keys in order to allow PASS-Key® operation. When the BCM is replaced, the service replacement BCM is programmed to accept the first PASS-Key® resistance value detected. If the BCM is unable to detect a valid PASS-Key® resistance value, the BCM will never end the programming sequence and a DTC B2735 will set. The BCM can also be programmed to accept a new PASS-Key® code by completing the following BCM/PASS-Key® programming procedure:

Important:
Before proceeding with this programming procedure, check for proper communications between the BCM and PCM. If communications cannot be established, refer to the appropriate Diagnostic System Check for the system unable to communicate.

Maintain the battery voltage while the PCM is in the Auto Learn Procedure. Follow this procedure exactly as indicated or you will have to repeat the procedure from the beginning.

Manual Programming (Domestic/Canada Only)
Using a Tech 2, select New BCM Setup and program the BCM with the correct RPO code configuration.
Turn ON the ignition leaving the engine OFF for 11 minutes.
Turn OFF the ignition for 30 seconds.
Turn ON the ignition leaving the engine OFF for 11 minutes.
Turn ON the ignition leaving the engine OFF for 11 minutes or until DTC P1630 sets.
Turn ON the ignition leaving the engine OFF and wait 30 seconds.
Attempt to start the engine. If the engine does not start, Refer to the Powertrain On Board Diagnostic (OBD) System Check in Engine Controls.

Important
Performing this procedure may cause a DTC P1630 to set. If a DTC P1630 sets, turn OFF the ignition for 30 seconds, then turn ON the ignition. If the DTC P1630 does not clear, Refer to Powertrain On Board Diagnostic (OBD) System Check in Engine Controls.

Tech 2 to Techline Terminal
Using a Tech 2, select New BCM Setup and program the BCM with the correct RPO code configuration.
Enter the Service Programming System (SPS) using a Tech 2.
Enter the vehicle information.
Choose the Request Info soft key on the Tech 2.
Select Done.
Follow the instructions on the Vehicle Set-up screen.
Disconnect the Tech 2 from the vehicle.
Connect the Tech 2 to the Techline terminal.
At the Techline terminal select Service Programming System (SPS) and select terminal to Tech 2 programming method.
Select Done.
Follow the instructions on the remaining screens.
Select the Vehicle Theft Re-learn option.
Select Program at the summary screen. The terminal will download information to the Tech 2.
Return the Tech 2 to the vehicle.
Connect the Tech 2 to Diagnostic Link Connector (DLC).
Select Service Programming from the Tech 2 main menu.
Answer the prompts regarding the model year and vehicle type.
Press the Theft Re-learn soft key on the Tech 2.
Attempt to start the engine. If the engine does not start, Refer to the Powertrain On Board Diagnostic (OBD) System Check in Engine Controls.

Important
Performing this procedure may cause a DTC P1630 to set. If a DTC P1630 sets, turn OFF the ignition for 30 seconds, then turn ON the ignition and P1630 clears. If the DTC P1630 does not clear, Refer to Powertrain On Board Diagnostic (OBD) System Check in Engine Controls.

Techline Terminal to Vehicle (No Tech 2)
Enter the Service Programming System (SPS) using a Techline Terminal (T-50/T-60).
Select terminal to vehicle programming.
Select Done.
Follow the instructions on the Vehicle Set-up screen.
Select the Vehicle Theft Re-learn option.

Important
Performing this procedure may cause a DTC P1630 to set. If a DTC P1630 sets, turn OFF the ignition for 30 seconds, then turn ON the ignition. If the DTC P1630 does not clear, Refer to Powertrain On Board Diagnostic (OBD) System Check in Engine Controls.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:08 PM
Conversion master

OK, from your other thread and John's response, this sounds like a 98 specific problem. Any chance of using a 99 PCM to avaoid having to use the BCM?
Old 07-26-2006, 02:28 PM
On The Tree

Of course I can change it to a 99 or later model PCM but I have to redo the wiring harness and use a cable for the TB. I am confident that it will start up tonight after I hook up the BCM. I like the drive by wire function and the C5 PCM has the auto shift function build-in. Will let you guys know what happen tonight.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:07 PM
9 Second Club/LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think you're out of the woods yet, but let us know what you find out.

For others following along, we don't do ANY drive by wire systems using the 98 PCM.

If you are planning a drive by wire project, start with the 99-05 PCM.

91 Z28 LS2 408CI, LS9 Supercharger, LPE GT7 cam, Yank3000, 3450 raceweight.
Latest numbers: 9.71 ET, 141.42 MPH, 1.40 60' , 610 RWHP Mustang Dyno

www.speartech.com
Old 07-26-2006, 03:43 PM
On The Tree

John,
I think I am OK after the BCM hooked up because I have no DTC from the PCM. However I have "No Comm" codes from the BCM and the left door control module. The left door I know it interfaces with the VATs system. I hope I am OK here since I sent in my PCM to disable the VATs. Also from the DTC codes from the C5 manuals I don't see any other functions that communicate with the PCM to disable the fuel. Cross my fingers.. Either way I will find out shortly when I get home.

PS. Thanks for your time and help on the phone

Quick Reply: Help.. My LS1 runs for 1 sec and shuts off