Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electronic Throttle Control - Traction Control ques.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Electronic Throttle Control - Traction Control ques.

What does the PCM need (signals) to be able to have active traction control via the Drive by wire throttle body? Initially I had planned on converting my DBW setup to cable, but if I could get the traction control feature of the ETC throttle body, that would be pretty freakin cool. Check the sig for buildup details.

Max

Last edited by 350SS; 07-26-2006 at 10:50 PM.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:30 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I was thinking of adding TC to my swap. I know that you need wheel speed sensors on both front wheels. I think that and the EBCM was about it, but the wheel speed sensors were enough to scare me off for now. Mabey sometime in the future.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

The only way I could think you could easily adapt the front wheel sensors would be to go to a B-body spindle off a caprice/impala and aftermarket control arm setup, but I want to be able to run 15" wheels up front and the bigger B-body spindles require at least 17" I believe. But that still leaves the BCM; any ideas on the details of this?

Has anyone done this already (I'm sure someone has )?
Old 07-27-2006, 01:29 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I am almost positive that you can run 15" wheels with the B-body spindle swap, B-bodies came with 15" wheels from the factory. As far as the EBCM though I am not sure, I have a cable TB and when I was looking into it it looked like the ABS was tied into the Traction control . It would be cool to have ABS too, but right now I don`t have the time or $ to do it so I stopped looking into it . I don`t have wiring diagrams for a drive by wire TB setup so I can`t tell you if the TC and ABS are tied together with that setup.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't see how you can do it. You need the EBTCM to talk to your PCM thru the serial line (DLC). It's a lot more complicated then this. I don't have time to look into this because I have a bigger problem right now and that is just trying to get the car running. Check out my other post.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:35 PM
Teching In

I have wondered the same thing. If you are using a factory GM ECM from a vehicle that had traction control, abs, etc, then it should be possible to retrofit those features into another chassis. Obviously you need to know which sensors and hubs to use, but would traction control and abs work properly in a different size/weight chassis than it was origianlly designed for?
Old 07-27-2006, 02:55 PM
Lame Excuse for a Photog

I posted it on another forum for you as im also interested, the guys on there know a lot so you should get an awnser

http://www.swapcartech.com/forum/sho...=3213#post3213

Mods: Sorry if you think the links was inappopriate just tryin to help get the guy an awnser, feel free to remove it if needed.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this is how I would do it.

I would use a Bosch 5.3 Electronic Brake Traction Control Module (EBTCM). This will take care of the ABS and TCS

I would then get a Brake Pressure Modulator Valve (BPMV) from a 98+ F-body to work with the EBTCM

Since the bosch 5.3 is a 4 channel system, you need 4 wheel speed sensors. This can be the hardest part to adapt but is doable.
Like someone said, you need a spindle from a car with ABS. The 91-96 B-body spindle has a provision for a speed sensor to bolt in. However, you need a wheel hub that has a tone ring.

For the rear, I am yet to figure that out. However, I am sure parts from a 4th gen with TCS can be adapted into an older 8.5 10 bolt.

For DBW, the EBTCM, BPMV,TAC module and PCM will take care of ABS and TCS

For those with a throttle cable, The you don't need the TAC but have to have the Accelerator and Servo Control Module (ASM) That is what pushes your foot back if the car loses traction.

Next, you need to fab up your new brake lines and mount the various parts you use.

Finally comes the wiring. These are what you need
(these are for cable throttle)

https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...achmentid=6369
https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...achmentid=6372
https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...achmentid=6371

Quick Reply: Electronic Throttle Control - Traction Control ques.