Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PINKS ls1 s13

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 01:55 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Quik
x234567 but it did start to lose oil psi as runs passed but it ran alot better with only 7quarts of oil in it hten 8.5. i compared that pan to a stock truck one and that new pan isnt much different hten the truck one as for capacity

You know that the over all amount of oil in the pan has no bearing on the potential amount to pool in the rear right? Lets say, staging. with 8.5 in, you probably have around 7.5 in the front sump, and 1 quart in the filter and the motor. When you launch, and carry G's then pooling potential starts. Lets say for the hell of it the G load is sustained threw the whole quarter. You will have maybe 2 quarts in the motor at any given time, and a pool of maybe 2.5 quarts in the rear. Leaving 4 quarts in the pan. Now if you drop it to 7 initially, you do not decreas the amount in the motor, nor pooling in the rear. You do decrease how much is in the sump though. Maybe you felt the weight decrese. We also know that the oil had never been changed since the first fire of the 6.0. And we all saw the contaminants that where in that motor. Regardless, anything harmfull should have been caught by the filter. So why did it start to loss psi as you made more passes? well oil temp was never checked, and a very strong possibility. And, it should have been checked after a run to see if the pooling was severe enough to create windage, and foam the oil.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:33 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by domination
What else do you think it might be. I would really like to know. It would be interesting to see what the rest of the connecting rod bearings look like. That would absolutely rule out oil starvation.
I know what happen but then what the hell do I know wait I do know that LS1 rocker arms are 22ft pounds not 25ft pounds
Old 08-16-2006, 12:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by StreetnStrip
I know what happen but then what the hell do I know wait I do know that LS1 rocker arms are 22ft pounds not 25ft pounds

They're 25 when thats the lowest setting your torque wrench goes down to.

And, if you do have any ideas why 1&2 con rod shattered, please share. It probably didn't help the situation running it with a pcm tuned for a 6 speed car.

Last edited by domination; 08-16-2006 at 12:12 PM.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

And, if you do have any ideas why 1&2 con rod shattered, please share. It probably didn't help the situation running it with a pcm tuned for a 6 speed car.
the 5.7 didnt have the same pcm as the 6.0 did!when we swap pcm at the track,that one ended up being tuned for a 6 speed how & why i dont know!
Old 08-16-2006, 04:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PewterSSZ
the 5.7 didnt have the same pcm as the 6.0 did!when we swap pcm at the track,that one ended up being tuned for a 6 speed how & why i dont know!
yes but the passes where made for a A4. the dude and I went over the new combo to be closer in the ballpark

as for the oil there was to much, to much oil can put to much load on parts and cause them to fail. one motor with 9qts of oil in it and then another one with oil psi lose isnt good with alot of oil. we drained it and it gained oil psi again. 7qts is all i would put in the motor tops!!!!! 8.5 and 9 are way to much!!!!!!
Old 08-16-2006, 10:27 PM
Banned

as for the oil there was to much, to much oil can put to much load on parts and cause them to fail. one motor with 9qts of oil in it and then another one with oil psi lose isnt good with alot of oil. we drained it and it gained oil psi again. 7qts is all i would put in the motor tops!!!!! 8.5 and 9 are way to much!!!!!!

huh? You mean we made a couple hot laps on straight 50 weight, and psi was less when you pulled in the pits the last time. Something just about 30psi at idle right. Then after a couple hours of cool off time, we drain a quart for no reason other than the drive can feel a court to much oil. So thats your physical evidence that 7 quarts in an 8.5 quart pan makes more psi, and the car faster? Your atributing the wrong things to the regaining of pressure.

That and I never heard of to much oil putting load on parts, and causing them to fail. (spare me the lecture on over filling, thats not what where talking about.)
Old 08-17-2006, 12:39 AM
Banned

huh? You mean we made a couple hot laps on straight 50 weight, and psi was less when you pulled in the pits the last time. Something just about 30psi at idle right. Then after a couple hours of cool off time, we drain a quart for no reason other than the drive can feel a court to much oil. So thats your physical evidence that 7 quarts in an 8.5 quart pan makes more psi, and the car faster? Your atributing the wrong things to the regaining of pressure.

That and I never heard of to much oil putting load on parts, and causing them to fail. (spare me the lecture on over filling, thats not what where talking about.)
lets not even compare motor knowledge here ok,cause we all know what happend. does bent cam ring a bell or bent valves? you say youre pan fits 9qts but compared to a truck pan isnt much more at all. that pan did its job but knowing what it did i wouldnt use it again. something different yes but not that one.

im glad this thing is over and glad not another car is being built. also telling ppl that you could of driven the car better isnt hte best idea knowing when everyone else on team will find out sooner or later along with you have no idea on how a converter works. you tried to tell me to launch a PI vigi 4k at the line at 4k which just doesnt happen. if you knew you would know that theres a different between flash stall, brake stall and true stall. and i used flash stall like ive been doing for YEARS and it works great every time.

how about showing pics of the actual cage that was used and not the one that had tubes removed cause they werent suppose to be there?
Old 08-17-2006, 08:28 AM

Really well the last time I checked brians Snap on torgue wrench goes to 20 and my new 500.00 torgue wrench that does degrees, ft pounds and inch pounds goes to 20. So yes u can set them a 22 ft pounds just like GM tells u to do. As for the computer the only thing that could have gotten screwed up with a 6 spd computer is the tranny. Ur making urself look like an *** so I would stop before it gets any worse. we all know u only came on here to drum up business for ur chassie work. Well Im sorry but stick to building autocross cars because we all know ur better at building them then a drag car.

Last edited by StreetnStrip; 08-17-2006 at 08:34 AM.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:31 AM

lets not even compare motor knowledge here ok,cause we all know what happend. does bent cam ring a bell or bent valves? you say youre pan fits 9qts but compared to a truck pan isnt much more at all. that pan did its job but knowing what it did i wouldnt use it again. something different yes but not that one.

im glad this thing is over and glad not another car is being built. also telling ppl that you could of driven the car better isnt hte best idea knowing when everyone else on team will find out sooner or later along with you have no idea on how a converter works. you tried to tell me to launch a PI vigi 4k at the line at 4k which just doesnt happen. if you knew you would know that theres a different between flash stall, brake stall and true stall. and i used flash stall like ive been doing for YEARS and it works great every time.

how about showing pics of the actual cage that was used and not the one that had tubes removed cause they werent suppose to be there?
George ur wasting ur time arguiong with him he thinks he knows it all. I mean i dont know everything but I do kow that if I did a cam swap and the cam was bent I would have to say I fucked up
Old 08-17-2006, 11:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Quik]lets not even compare motor knowledge here ok,cause we all know what happend. does bent cam ring a bell or bent valves?

my valves
Old 08-17-2006, 12:29 PM
Banned

I don't think everyone knows what happened.

I put the cam in the ls1. I aligned the timing mark on the cam sproket with the keyway on the crank. The engine was fired like that, and bent some pushrods, and some intake valves. If you don't think I felt bad enough then, please remind some more how much I was slippin.

Secondly, don't you think its a little more plausable that when 1&2 rods let go and smacked the cam that caused the bend?

You ready for excuse time.............I might have been a little bit tired when I was doing it. How much did we work quick? I think is was close to a week straight, 24 hours a day. Just little cat naps.
Old 08-17-2006, 01:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by StreetnStrip
Really well the last time I checked brians Snap on torgue wrench goes to 20 and my new 500.00 torgue wrench that does degrees, ft pounds and inch pounds goes to 20. So yes u can set them a 22 ft pounds just like GM tells u to do. As for the computer the only thing that could have gotten screwed up with a 6 spd computer is the tranny. Ur making urself look like an *** so I would stop before it gets any worse. we all know u only came on here to drum up business for ur chassie work. Well Im sorry but stick to building autocross cars because we all know ur better at building them then a drag car.

Well, there's your problem right there. Your checking the wrong torque wrench. Go to Jeff's and check his. We were under a bit of a time constraint. Find any case where putting exactly 25ftlbs caused anything detrimental. Cause I'll show you one case it didn't. The pinks car.

As for the computer thing. Dont you agree hitting a fuel cut off rev limiter while on nitrous could harm more than the tranny?

Thanks for the compliments on road racing chassis we've done. I don't know if I'm better at them or not, but my heart is with drag.
Old 08-17-2006, 01:41 PM
Banned

Your right, lets not try to compare engine knowledge. (motors, are eletric ) I was very aprehensive about re using that pan after the ls1 blew. Ask Brian. I told him I wanted to rule everything out that could be a possibility for blowing the engine. We stuck with it anyway, and It performed flawlessly, even when being underfilled.

Whats wrong with a little smack talk about driving the car? People probably forgot to mention that I never said anything critical without mentioning the good things you did too. I'm impressed that you went flat out the first and every time down the strip. That take some juevos. I still want to take you on for best slips though!

As for the cage.... I'm ignoring it. I'm not hiding it. If anyone asks, or wants to know, all I have to say is; An executive decision was made in my absence.
Old 08-17-2006, 01:49 PM
Banned

I don't think everyone knows what happened.

I put the cam in the ls1. I aligned the timing mark on the cam sproket with the keyway on the crank. The engine was fired like that, and bent some pushrods, and some intake valves. If you don't think I felt bad enough then, please remind some more how much I was slippin.

Secondly, don't you think its a little more plausable that when 1&2 rods let go and smacked the cam that caused the bend?

You ready for excuse time.............I might have been a little bit tired when I was doing it. How much did we work quick? I think is was close to a week straight, 24 hours a day. Just little cat naps.
you werent suppose to touch the motor that was for either brian or I to touch. we supplied the JJs part which was drivetrain. we are far more familar with LSXs then you are. also when motor was being toren down you went and slept actually both times you did. now why was that?
Old 08-17-2006, 01:52 PM
Banned

Well, there's your problem right there. Your checking the wrong torque wrench. Go to Jeff's and check his. We were under a bit of a time constraint. Find any case where putting exactly 25ftlbs caused anything detrimental. Cause I'll show you one case it didn't. The pinks car.

As for the computer thing. Dont you agree hitting a fuel cut off rev limiter while on nitrous could harm more than the tranny?

Thanks for the compliments on road racing chassis we've done. I don't know if I'm better at them or not, but my heart is with drag.
your heart is with drag?? now im confused i didnt know Xbraces are in drag cars
Old 08-17-2006, 01:55 PM
Banned

Your right, lets not try to compare engine knowledge. (motors, are eletric ) I was very aprehensive about re using that pan after the ls1 blew. Ask Brian. I told him I wanted to rule everything out that could be a possibility for blowing the engine. We stuck with it anyway, and It performed flawlessly, even when being underfilled.

Whats wrong with a little smack talk about driving the car? People probably forgot to mention that I never said anything critical without mentioning the good things you did too. I'm impressed that you went flat out the first and every time down the strip. That take some juevos. I still want to take you on for best slips though!

As for the cage.... I'm ignoring it. I'm not hiding it. If anyone asks, or wants to know, all I have to say is; An executive decision was made in my absence.
get some seat time then come for me......
for you to drive that car do you need use to extend the pedals????
Old 08-17-2006, 03:58 PM
Banned

you werent suppose to touch the motor that was for either brian or I to touch. we supplied the JJs part which was drivetrain. we are far more familar with LSXs then you are. also when motor was being toren down you went and slept actually both times you did. now why was that?

Whats got up your ***? You know I got the skillz to to touch any internal combustion engine. I said it straight up. I slipped. Your not supposed to delegate. Leave that to the people with experience.

Why don't you tell me why I took a nap.

your heart is with drag?? now im confused i didnt know Xbraces are in drag cars

I already told you I didn't want to get into it abou the cage. But if you insist. This was built for a TV show. It was made very elaboratly, with out being over exessive (my opinion). Every bar was thought out and does aid in rigidity. This was supposed to be a showcase of our capabilities.

Its not my fualt you think a rectangle is stronger than a triangle.

Last edited by domination; 08-17-2006 at 04:05 PM.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

its over,let it end
Old 08-17-2006, 06:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PewterSSZ
its over,let it end

truth. I'm done with drama ****.

Quick. I didn't know it was definetly a no go for another car, but if somehow it does happen, I still want you to drive. Don't forget we decided unanomusly last time.

To all else, I love a good debate. I got no beef with any of you. Unless you say so.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:16 PM
Banned

Without further adue

After another all nighter at JJs Automotive. The beast runs!!! This time with an iron block 6.0.

Thank God for JJs. They always have parts when you need them.

Quick Reply: PINKS ls1 s13