Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transmission does not work...truck wont move

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 11:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission does not work...truck wont move

So I rolled the truck out of the garage this morning. Started it up and tried to put it into gear. Nothing happens. Topped off the trans fluid and still nothing.

Ive got a 98 camaro ls1 with the 4l60e. Any help asap would be appreciated. Its stuck in the yard till I can get it running.
Old 08-12-2006, 11:53 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

no noise from it......no whine or grind even?? Jimmy, not to sound like the village idiot with questions but are you sure the manual valve in the trans is hooked up and if so(and this will sound even MORE stupid) but did you bolt up the converter to the flexplate?? Even a 4l60 will make noise if it's hooked up at all even if it WON'T move..........
Old 08-12-2006, 12:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bygblok
no noise from it......no whine or grind even?? Jimmy, not to sound like the village idiot with questions but are you sure the manual valve in the trans is hooked up and if so(and this will sound even MORE stupid) but did you bolt up the converter to the flexplate?? Even a 4l60 will make noise if it's hooked up at all even if it WON'T move..........
no sounds..i even checked to see if the shifter was hooked up. I did not open the trans case at all. I did bolt the converter to the flexplate. I cant see how it would be an electrical problem. Im baffled.

Ive been reading the forums...is it possible the pump is bad or got damaged when I was installing the converter?
Old 08-12-2006, 12:19 PM
Launching!

it's possible to hurt the pump but usually you'll have trouble bolting the bellhousing to the back of the motor(sometimes won't bolt up at all and you'll here the pump break) If you had no strange noises on startup(clunks, bangs, etc) I'd have to look at the internals. If you didn't even remove the pan it would be odd for the manual valve to not be attached but it sure sounds like what has happened to not even get noise from it. If it has any line pressure at all it should at least TRY to go in gear. Do you have fluid at the trans cooler from running it at all? If it will make a mess with fluid pressure you can be reasonably sure the pump is working(primitive way of checking fluid movement without a gage) If you got the trans from a salvage yard they will sometimes remove filters etc before you get the parts so you'll have to start fresh. You might want to check that end out as well. Hate to see you have to drop the pan for nothing but it may be your only recourse.
Old 08-12-2006, 12:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bygblok
it's possible to hurt the pump but usually you'll have trouble bolting the bellhousing to the back of the motor(sometimes won't bolt up at all and you'll here the pump break) If you had no strange noises on startup(clunks, bangs, etc) I'd have to look at the internals. If you didn't even remove the pan it would be odd for the manual valve to not be attached but it sure sounds like what has happened to not even get noise from it. If it has any line pressure at all it should at least TRY to go in gear. Do you have fluid at the trans cooler from running it at all? If it will make a mess with fluid pressure you can be reasonably sure the pump is working(primitive way of checking fluid movement without a gage) If you got the trans from a salvage yard they will sometimes remove filters etc before you get the parts so you'll have to start fresh. You might want to check that end out as well. Hate to see you have to drop the pan for nothing but it may be your only recourse.
just checked the fluid at the cooler...none. I was able to blow air through the line and I felt air coming out of the other line. Its not plugged.

Its strange because the engine and trans went together without a problem. I mated right up from what I remember (it was a couple years ago).

Can the pump be removed without removing the trans from the engine or vehicle?

My biggest concern now is that the trans will have to be pulled from the truck to get it fixed. My truck was not designed for easy trans removal at all.
Old 08-12-2006, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I say make sure that the fluid level is where it needs to be. Put the thing in gear, set the parking brake and check the fluid again (while the engine is running). If the fluid is still where it should be, you should first pull the pan and check that the correct filter is in place. If it's not the correct depth for the pan on there, it wont suck up any fluid. Me and my buddy just started up his new 383/th400 combo and it scared the crap outta me when it didn't go into gear. We changed the filter and oil during the swap and it took a few times of putting it in gear, checking the fluid and adding more for it to go into gear. When we first put the fluid in it looked fine. We had to add at least 3 quarts to get the thing moving.

Also check the seal that seals the filter to the trans, obviously if it's damaged or not installed correctly, that can cause problems. Also, are you getting power to the trans solenoids?
Old 08-12-2006, 04:17 PM
Launching!

once again, I know the local yards around here will pull a trans pan and remove the filter to insure that YOU start out with a new one and they can warrantee the part. The do it to motors as far as front and rear seals and tranny's will include a front pump/converter seal and a filter. If you got it from a yard just make sure that stuff is there. You seem to be pretty heartfelt in the front pump being broken though......sure it didn't make a funny(or not-so-funny) noise when mated or started? Don't be embarassed by it since most of us have done it or know someone who has(and won't admit it!!) Hope you get the beast motivatin' on it's own. It's always the simple sheeit that messes you up too!!
Old 08-12-2006, 04:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

pretty sure i never heard any strange noises but it was a year or two ago so who knows. Also who knows what happened to this trans before I got it. I purchased it online and the engine was half taken apart and missing stuff that was supposed to be there. So it didnt surprise me that the trans is having problems. Ive had my fair of stupid mistakes during this build so who knows whats wrong! I also added another quart of fluid through the oil cooler line to try and prime it. No luck.

I have no experience with transmissions but I am going to pull the pan and see what I can find.
Old 08-13-2006, 02:15 PM
Staging Lane

even if the filter was left out it would still move. if your lines arent clogged then youve got an internal problem...pump/forward clutch or converter...does it move in reverse????if it does then i would suspect the forward clutch or the forward planet is gone..
Old 08-13-2006, 02:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by patriot68
even if the filter was left out it would still move. if your lines arent clogged then youve got an internal problem...pump/forward clutch or converter...does it move in reverse????if it does then i would suspect the forward clutch or the forward planet is gone..
i was able to push air through the cooler lines so they arent clogged. Does not do anything in any gear.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:42 PM
Teching In

sounds like your pump is screwed. if you have the fluid full and you can pull a cooler line with the engine running and nothing comes out, it is time to pull the tranny.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe a stupid question, but did you seat the Converter into the trans correctly ? did it drop into the slot ? Just had to ask if someone ask, figured if someone asked if you bolted it to the Flexplate, I could ask this.

Hope you figure it out soon.. good luck
Old 08-13-2006, 10:51 PM
Launching!

The only time I have had this happen was when the pump blew up on me. I hate to say it but it sounds like thats what happened to yours. Also, the pump can only be removed with the tranny out of the car/truck.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:01 AM
TECH Resident

So, did you pull the pan?

Is there a filter in place? My 4L80E (which I bought from a salvage yard) was clearly marked in yellow paint pen that it had no filter.

I know on my 4L80E, the pickup is part of the filter. Without the filter in place, it'll only suck air (which means it wouldn't do anything without it). I assume (which usually gets me into trouble) that the 4L60E has a similar arrangement (given they're both GM transmissions).

Anyway, good luck with it and keep us posted.

'JustDreamin'
Old 08-14-2006, 08:38 AM
On The Tree

The 4L60E has the same type of filter arrangement. You would have to really overfill it to get it to pull any oil out of the pan without the filter.

Another thing to check is the oil level. Check it with the engine off, and note the level. Now start up the the engine, does the level drop? If not, you either don't have a filter/pickup, or the pump is hosed.

If it does, you likely don't have enough fluid in it. It takes a lot of tranny fluid to get all the air out of the passages, fill the converter, etc. Mine was dry on install, and it took over two gallons. It won't move until it is nearly full either.

Lastly, are you sure you have electrical power to the trans? If it doesn't, it will stay in 3rd gear...
Old 08-14-2006, 08:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bczee
Maybe a stupid question, but did you seat the Converter into the trans correctly ? did it drop into the slot ? Just had to ask if someone ask, figured if someone asked if you bolted it to the Flexplate, I could ask this.

Hope you figure it out soon.. good luck
yup it was seated correctly when i installed it and I know I bolted it to the flywheel because I had a hard time finding the 3 bolts

Originally Posted by JustDreamin
So, did you pull the pan?

Is there a filter in place? My 4L80E (which I bought from a salvage yard) was clearly marked in yellow paint pen that it had no filter.

I know on my 4L80E, the pickup is part of the filter. Without the filter in place, it'll only suck air (which means it wouldn't do anything without it). I assume (which usually gets me into trouble) that the 4L60E has a similar arrangement (given they're both GM transmissions).

Anyway, good luck with it and keep us posted.

'JustDreamin'
yeah got home at 8..went to work. Pulled the pan and here is what I found:
Name:  DCPzxcvzds_0015.jpg
Views: 2813
Size:  132.1 KB

looks like everything is intact to me? But what do you guys think?

Originally Posted by jeepinpete
The 4L60E has the same type of filter arrangement. You would have to really overfill it to get it to pull any oil out of the pan without the filter.

Another thing to check is the oil level. Check it with the engine off, and note the level. Now start up the the engine, does the level drop? If not, you either don't have a filter/pickup, or the pump is hosed.

If it does, you likely don't have enough fluid in it. It takes a lot of tranny fluid to get all the air out of the passages, fill the converter, etc. Mine was dry on install, and it took over two gallons. It won't move until it is nearly full either.

Lastly, are you sure you have electrical power to the trans? If it doesn't, it will stay in 3rd gear...
fluid level does not change when running or off

Electrical power...no way to be sure right now but I would think it would have at least budged the driveshaft a little or made noise.
Old 08-15-2006, 01:51 AM
On The Tree

Lightbulb maybe.........

Did you fill the torque converter with trans fluid upon installation? I remember the first T350 I built for a Z28, new clutches/steels/sprags/stall converter, etc. I didn't fill the converter and was freaking, I just kept idling the car and adding fluid when fluid level would drop, eventually, it woked out great.
Good luck!
Old 08-15-2006, 06:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jbk240z
Did you fill the torque converter with trans fluid upon installation? I remember the first T350 I built for a Z28, new clutches/steels/sprags/stall converter, etc. I didn't fill the converter and was freaking, I just kept idling the car and adding fluid when fluid level would drop, eventually, it woked out great.
Good luck!

Yeah I added as much as I could without it spilling during the install
Old 08-15-2006, 07:18 AM
TECH Resident

Ok, so there's definitely a filter in place, which rules out an easy solution.

I have no idea how it'd run without power, but I'd expect it to push fluid around (through the cooler circuits at least).

Sorry, but I think your problem is out of my league....Hope the other guys can help you out....

'JustDreamin'
Old 08-15-2006, 08:17 AM
Launching!

Hate to say it but sounds like a front pump failure to me. I had the same exact thing happen on the 88 GTA/LS1 combo. I didn't know it at the time but think it must have cracked when we bolted it up. It sucks but sounds like you'll need to pull it out to check the pump.

If it is the pump make sure you pull the TCC solenoid before you try to pull the pump out.

Quick Reply: transmission does not work...truck wont move