Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls6 in a '94 S10......

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 01:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ls6 in a '94 S10......

What all would be needed to complete this type of install?
I see alot of threads for s10 stuff...but none of them seem to broken down into what exactly is needed.
can you guys help me on this one? Thanks.
-Chris
Old 09-17-2006, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've never done one but my buddy has. You can buy almost everything now IE motor mounts, headers, conversion harness, etc..

The only problem I see is I beleive a 94 only has like a 100mph speedo or sumthing like that.

His was programmed to use the stock gauges and all.
Old 09-17-2006, 02:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Ahhhh...

Is it your current primary means of transportation? If so, you need to buy something else to get around in, while your building your conversion. Gar
Old 09-17-2006, 02:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not primary means....
I planned on doing some custom gauges for everything.
I just put in a new 4L60 in it. but the truck currently has the 2.2 4 cyl in it.

The main question being, will the motor fit without cutting into the firewall? Will the stock radiator work or do you need another? Will the A/C work with the motor? Etc.

What are some sites that make ls1 motor mounts/headers for a s10?
thanks
Old 09-17-2006, 02:54 PM
On The Tree

Mr. Hart! wtf bro! lol been a long time! lsx conversions are the best!
Old 09-18-2006, 12:39 PM
Staging Lane

If you are going to keep all the underhood electrical (such as the fuse box, cruise control, stock air conditioning) I would talk to Jared @ currentperformance.com. He did the wiring harness for my 2000 Jimmy and I only had to splice 6 wires because of the original 4.3 ecm had 4 connectors instead of the 2 connectors that the LSX ecms have. I understand that now Jared has the motor mounts and headers as well but I ordered headers from jagsthatrun.com and the motor mounts from summitracing.com the mounts were Trans-Dapt #4516. I did not have to cut the firewall but I did have to cut the crossmember below the engine(I used a 2005 Corvette oil pan). I used the Vette oil pan because of ground clearance issues. I also used the accesories and brackets off a 2000 Vette. Hope this helps
Old 09-18-2006, 12:47 PM
TECH Resident

Is the truck 2wd or 4wd?

2wd, pretty much all the parts (mounts and exhaust are the big ones) are readily available....

4wd, the parts aren't quite so readily available. There are supposed to be mounts and a custom oil pan available, but nobody has taken on exhaust yet (which means you get to figure it out on your own).

And I would 2nd the call to Jarred. He did the harness & programming for my Bravada. He knows his stuff pretty well.

'JustDreamin'
Old 09-18-2006, 01:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good deal.
the truck is 2wd. single cab.
Do they make a tubular k-member at all?

I was thinking i would just use the z06 manifolds and then rig up a 4in exhaust i have just sitting.
So the radiator will fit with the motor? And will the Ls6 oil pan work ok with the crossmember?
thanks
Old 09-19-2006, 01:15 AM
Staging Lane

ls6 oil pan? not sure which one you have... by what i have read by multiple users, the ls2 pan is the best... you will still have to notch the k-member with all the pans. Unless you order a custom cut truck pan then you wont have to cut the k-member but the truck pan hangs low - lower than the k member. A regular truck pan will work with little cutting... i've heard the vette pan works well but Im going to make the f-body pan work only because i didnt do to much research before getting it...

you can use 98-99 f-body exaust manifolds will little modding found on ebay or local salvage yard or 4 sale on here... i think 98 is better then the 99 because they are weld-able (someone correct me if im wrong)...not so sure about the z06 manifolds never heard of anyone using them.. the main problem is clearance from the steering shaft... im using sanderson shorty headers for my swap many peolpe have used them and they are avalible from jagsthatrun.com or if you get your wiring harness from jared at currentperformance.com(highly recommended) then order the headers from him... jagsthatrun.com will take up to 90 days to get your stuff so i advise to stay away from him...

you need ls1 mounts and the old 2.8 truck mounts avalible from currentperformance.com...he gave me free 2.8 mounts because i ordered headers and harness from him... i got my ls1 motor mounts from carshopinc.com i recommend them as well... jagthatrun.com, carshopinc.com also carry the ls1 and 2.8 mounts... @ carshopinc.com the ls1 and the 2.8 mounts come in a kit for about $80

carshopinc.com has an accessory kit (includes all accessories, brackets and pulleys) that helps for clearance and the brackets and pulleys are made from billet... its $1350 for the whole setup which is roughly the same price as all the vette stuff new... or you can mix and match thier stuff with vette stuff either way you go you have to notch the frame for the a/c compressor... (unless you use custom a/c relocation brackets which i dont recommend because it takes from intake space)... I know someone on s10forum.com made the truck accessories work but i think he just got lucky...

some good websites to research before considering this swap...

http://ls1blazer.tripod.com/index.html - good idea to get the swap manual he sells. Gives you a basic idea on what needs to be done...

http://www.geocities.com/jays_s10/ (the ls1 swap section) - thanks to kossuth for all this information it really helped me realize what i was getting into...

www.s10forum.com - v8 section ( alot of swap information to read... just search the forum )

also read all the information on www.currentperformance.com there is alot of electrical problems your going to run into with the 94 over a 98+

and also
www.carshopinc.com - a guy named Ellic that works there knows alot about this swap...

www.jagsthatrun.com - i wouldn't order from hear unless u have too...

and i probably shouldn't even put this site but
www.ls1performanceparts.com
( i have not heard of 1 person being happy with them and you should not consider using them unless you dont mind buying garbage and waiting months for your stuff... if that)

Last edited by gmax111; 09-19-2006 at 01:21 AM.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:17 AM
Staging Lane

someone correct me if i fu*ked up on something or missed something... maybe someone could add on to it and we can make it sticky...

Quick Reply: ls6 in a '94 S10......