Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steam Vents, Front or Back?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 02:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Steam Vents, Front or Back?

On my conversion, the LS1 intake is turned around facing and the bell housing. The steam vent pipe is of course at the front. I was going to simply leave it there since that placement is at the correct end of the flow of water in the heades before going to the exist side of the water pump. I need to make some special brackets and find that the steam vent crossover pipe is right in the way. So something must be done.

Some claim it doesn't matter which end of the heads the steam vents can be placed, but I wonder if this has indeed been tested by someone. This would be the easiest and cleanest solution, since I can simply swap ends. If there is any doubt, then I would rather leave the vent at the front. Has anyone re-configured the crossover pipe? Perhaps remove the pipe and?? What was your solution? Photo's would of course be nice.

Many thanks,

Andy1
Old 09-25-2006, 05:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Andy,,,
I swap the intake on my car also,,, but leaving the tube in the front works OK for me. That said,,, check out LS1HowTo,,, the LS6 intake swap. The author changes the setup to two 2001+ tubes. It looks as if the orientation is different in the front,,, that is the radiator connection sides. Don;t know if that will solve your problem with the brackets.

see: http://www.ls1howto.com/howto/geniii...//IMAGE011.jpg

Hope this helps....

Fred
Old 09-25-2006, 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ not to jack the thread, but wow bad *** looking car
Old 09-25-2006, 05:40 PM
v-8
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by THE_SUPRA
^ not to jack the thread, but wow bad *** looking car
x2 sorry for jacking the thread but wtf is that?
Old 09-25-2006, 06:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is a picture of the factory car,,,, mine is still just a pile of parts. Take a look at

http://www.factoryfive.com
Old 09-25-2006, 06:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by gtpvette
Andy,,,
I swap the intake on my car also,,, but leaving the tube in the front works OK for me. That said,,, check out LS1HowTo,,, the LS6 intake swap. The author changes the setup to two 2001+ tubes. It looks as if the orientation is different in the front,,, that is the radiator connection sides. Don;t know if that will solve your problem with the brackets.

see: http://www.ls1howto.com/howto/geniii...//IMAGE011.jpg

Hope this helps....

Fred
Fred,

Since I only have my 2001 as a reference, it only vents the front of the heads. The rears are what appears to be blank bolt on factory fittings (without the tubes). Apparently GM decided venting is not necessary in the rear, ergo my concern about moving them.

That your GTM?

Andy1
Old 09-25-2006, 07:58 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

if the radiator was on the firewall, they would have been vented in the back and blocked in the front. they are only placed in the front for convenience, IMO.
id vent which side you could, unless its documented your motor is gonna overheat if not vented in the front.
good luck.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

we do it the stock position in our racecars, toward the water pump.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:40 PM
On The Tree

I temporarily blocked my steam line to start my engine up the other day. When it got up the operating temp I started to see steam coming out between the intake and the passenger side's head. I was scratching my head and was wondering wtf is going on. Do I have a gasket problem with this suppose to be new motor? Later I reallized that it was steam coming out. After I connect the steam line to the radiator it was gone. yes it's in the front because you need to run the vent line to the radiator.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1Cobra
I temporarily blocked my steam line to start my engine up the other day. When it got up the operating temp I started to see steam coming out between the intake and the passenger side's head. I was scratching my head and was wondering wtf is going on. Do I have a gasket problem with this suppose to be new motor? Later I reallized that it was steam coming out. After I connect the steam line to the radiator it was gone. yes it's in the front because you need to run the vent line to the radiator.
You do not want to plug that line. Its to get rid of built up gas/pressure in the tops of your heads. If that hot gas is not moved out(air bubbles) then your fron 2 cylinders will run hotter then the others.

-Matt
Old 09-27-2006, 04:32 AM
Launching!

The steam vents were put in the front because that is the highest point, engine slanted down at the rear, so which ever end is the highest point should be the end you use.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 67pete
The steam vents were put in the front because that is the highest point, engine slanted down at the rear, so which ever end is the highest point should be the end you use.
This does bring up an interesting point. As my conversion is a mid-engine application, the motor will sit flat/level so perhaps I should run the old style venting that attaches to both ends.

Anyone have a set of the earlier style vent lines that vent both ends of the heads that they're willing to part with?

Thanks,
Andy1
Old 09-27-2006, 12:41 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 67pete
This does bring up an interesting point. As my conversion is a mid-engine application, the motor will sit flat/level so perhaps I should run the old style venting that attaches to both ends.

Anyone have a set of the earlier style vent lines that vent both ends of the heads that they're willing to part with?

Thanks,
Andy1
Old 09-27-2006, 03:28 PM
On The Tree

You don't need no hi point for this if you hook the steam line to an adaptor in the radiator hose. when the water flow thru the hose it will suck out the steam.
Old 09-29-2006, 04:29 AM
Launching!

Actually, no it won't suck it out if it's not vented in the highest spot!
Old 10-17-2006, 02:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here's a question I haven't seen answered:

Does it matter if you run the steam line from the vent to the top or bottom of the radiator?

I am looking at replacing my radiator petcock (bottom drive side corner) with a 1/4 NPT w/90º to 1/4 tube out adapter, and I was going to run from bottom of radiator up to steam vent.

Bad idea? Does it matter?
Old 10-17-2006, 04:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy1

Thanks,
Andy1

There are many of use who vent both ends. Mine's done w/ 5/16" fuel line.
The rear head ports are connected together & then teed to the front head ports which are also connected together. From there, the line is teed to the TOP of the radiator.
Old 10-17-2006, 05:32 PM
On The Tree

Can I drill and tap the factory block off to create a steam line?
Old 10-18-2006, 04:02 AM
Launching!

Yes, tap the steam line in at the top side of the radiator, as that is usually the low pressure area in the coolant system.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok, so it's a bad idea to tap from the bottom, so re-using the petcock = bad, eh?

Quick Reply: Steam Vents, Front or Back?