Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Mustang Swap Article for Popular Hot Rodding Magazine

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 07:41 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The stock master will work, also. You just need to make sure you get the factory line and adapter as well. Nobody else makes a direct drop in Camaro replacement. However, maybe a universal one may help. This one has a bore diameter or 15/16 inch and total travel of 1.25 inches. Actual amount of travel needed is slightly less than one inch.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:23 PM
On The Tree

Is the master cylinder coming through right near the steering column? Seems the clutch pedal would be much further to the left of the steering column (from the inside). If so, what is connecting the clutch pedal to the master cylinder?
Old 11-22-2006, 08:04 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Mystic96
Is the master cylinder coming through right near the steering column? Seems the clutch pedal would be much further to the left of the steering column (from the inside). If so, what is connecting the clutch pedal to the master cylinder?
Yes, it's coming out on the right. Turbo Coupes and Mustangs have the pedal hinged at the top and a bar that goes across to the other side to an arm that activates the master. That's why the master exits there. Here's another view that may help.
Attached Thumbnails LS1 Mustang Swap Article for Popular Hot Rodding Magazine-dsc00376a.jpg  
Old 11-24-2006, 09:33 PM
Staging Lane

Happy Thanksgiving! Now that I'm back in my garage, here's an update. To recap, it's been almost three weeks since I started this. I've been traveling for work and it's chewing up my garage time! I have to go to LA for the Auto Show there next week (ARGH!!!), so I'm trying to get as much done as possible this weekend. So, here we are...

Got the Camaro fans today. They slide right into the radiator and fit perfectly.

Intakehoses.com shipped me the elbows and pipes needed to rig an air filter system, and with 4-inch tubing, it's done. Mass air sits in the engine compartment and the air filter is in the wheelwell.

Started on the fuel system at the rail. Working my way back so I'll get pics up when it's done.

Put a filler panel in on the floorpan by the shifter. Um, that's about it. Went shopping on Black Friday also! What a mess...
Attached Thumbnails LS1 Mustang Swap Article for Popular Hot Rodding Magazine-dsc09997a.jpg   LS1 Mustang Swap Article for Popular Hot Rodding Magazine-dsc09998a.jpg   LS1 Mustang Swap Article for Popular Hot Rodding Magazine-dsc00001a.jpg   LS1 Mustang Swap Article for Popular Hot Rodding Magazine-dsc00003a.jpg   LS1 Mustang Swap Article for Popular Hot Rodding Magazine-dsc00005a.jpg  

Last edited by powershiftkung; 11-24-2006 at 09:39 PM.
Old 11-25-2006, 01:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice work,keep it up.At this rate you'll be done by x-mas .You make me wish mine was back together,but my dart 225's are worth the wait
Old 11-25-2006, 01:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by vanilla89
Nice work,keep it up.At this rate you'll be done by x-mas .You make me wish mine was back together,but my dart 225's are worth the wait

Are u putting them on a stock bottom end? Flycutting the pistons I assume?
Old 11-25-2006, 01:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by I8URLS1
Are u putting them on a stock bottom end? Flycutting the pistons I assume?
i had to flycut the pistons when i put the cam in,my old heads had 2.05 valves in them too
Old 11-25-2006, 07:29 PM
Staging Lane

I have 5.3 heads with 2.02s and a Thunder 230/236, .594/.602 so I also flycut the pistons in my stock bottom end.

Today was a good day. I got the fuel system in. Also, rerouted all the wiring from inside the engine compartment to the fenderwells. Now all you see are the millions of holes that Ford stamped into the inner fenders. Throttle linkage and air intake are done. Pictures speak louder than words, so here ya go...
Attached Thumbnails LS1 Mustang Swap Article for Popular Hot Rodding Magazine-dsc00398a.jpg   LS1 Mustang Swap Article for Popular Hot Rodding Magazine-dsc00400a.jpg   LS1 Mustang Swap Article for Popular Hot Rodding Magazine-dsc00403a.jpg   LS1 Mustang Swap Article for Popular Hot Rodding Magazine-dsc00412a.jpg   LS1 Mustang Swap Article for Popular Hot Rodding Magazine-dsc00415a.jpg  

LS1 Mustang Swap Article for Popular Hot Rodding Magazine-dsc00417a.jpg   LS1 Mustang Swap Article for Popular Hot Rodding Magazine-dsc00419a.jpg   LS1 Mustang Swap Article for Popular Hot Rodding Magazine-dsc00422a.jpg   LS1 Mustang Swap Article for Popular Hot Rodding Magazine-dsc00424a.jpg  

Last edited by powershiftkung; 11-25-2006 at 07:35 PM.
Old 11-25-2006, 07:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What throttle cable is that? So far so good on the rest!! Your progress has kick-started mine again...thanks
Old 11-25-2006, 08:46 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Mr. Hyde
What throttle cable is that? So far so good on the rest!! Your progress has kick-started mine again...thanks
Hey man, I'm glad to get others sucked into this dreaded addiction called horsepower. I'll update you as I go along!

It's a stock 5.0 Mustang throttle cable. I just had to drill out the mounting hole and bend the Camaro's throttle bracket a little to make it work. I used the Camaro cruise control pivot arm, tweaked it a little bit by grinding the nub down to the right diameter and Voila- it snapped right on and is going nowhere. It even has the right spring tension at the pedal. Here's a closeup.
Attached Thumbnails LS1 Mustang Swap Article for Popular Hot Rodding Magazine-dsc00425a.jpg  
Old 11-25-2006, 09:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do you have any better pics of your wiring harness going into the firewall? i just moved my pcm from the right front corner of the car to to inside, but the harness is pulled real tight and i havent figured a location to put the pcm. thanks, rich.
Old 11-25-2006, 11:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nuckifuts
do you have any better pics of your wiring harness going into the firewall? i just moved my pcm from the right front corner of the car to to inside, but the harness is pulled real tight and i havent figured a location to put the pcm. thanks, rich.
i was wondering the same thing. i want to put my pcm in the car, where did you put yours???
Old 11-26-2006, 08:22 AM
Staging Lane

I haven't fully wired it up yet. It appears that I do have enough slack on the harness to compensate for engine movement. Or at least I think I do. I took the blower motor out to help me get everything into place. Here's some better pics of both sides.
Attached Thumbnails LS1 Mustang Swap Article for Popular Hot Rodding Magazine-dsc00430a.jpg   LS1 Mustang Swap Article for Popular Hot Rodding Magazine-dsc00433a.jpg   LS1 Mustang Swap Article for Popular Hot Rodding Magazine-dsc00435a.jpg  
Old 11-26-2006, 12:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

never thought to take the blower motor out till its in place. i assume you are putting it back in? thanks, rich.
Old 11-26-2006, 03:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by nuckifuts
never thought to take the blower motor out till its in place. i assume you are putting it back in? thanks, rich.
Of course it's going back in. Heck, depending on how hot the summer of 2007 gets, I may put AC in it! If Iput in the lines, it's only a few wires and a relay away from being functional.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:54 PM
Staging Lane

After debating whether or not I should adapt the Mustang gauges to the Camaro engine, I've decided to use a Camaro gauge cluster instead. This is because all I have to do to make it work is to adapt one gauge, the fuel level, as opposed to having to make the mechanical speedometer, mechanical odometer, uncalibrated tach, and coolant temp/oil pressure gauges work on the Mustang gauge cluster. So, I hacked the Mustang dash a little and heated up and bent the gauge bezel at the top so that it wouldn't cover the top of the gauges as much. I tell you, these Camaro gauges look real nice in a Mustang. All I have to do is now fill in the gaps with some ABS plastic to make it look nice. Anyone have a Camaro gauge cluster pigtail for sale?
Attached Thumbnails LS1 Mustang Swap Article for Popular Hot Rodding Magazine-dsc00440a.jpg   LS1 Mustang Swap Article for Popular Hot Rodding Magazine-dsc00458a.jpg  
Old 11-27-2006, 02:37 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by powershiftkung
Yes, it's coming out on the right. Turbo Coupes and Mustangs have the pedal hinged at the top and a bar that goes across to the other side to an arm that activates the master. That's why the master exits there. Here's another view that may help.
Do you have a good pic of the pedal setup with the arm that presses the master?

This is the same thing I was wanting to do with my car, but I was trying to locate the master cylinder in the hole where the stock clutch cable came through.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Mystic96
Do you have a good pic of the pedal setup with the arm that presses the master?

This is the same thing I was wanting to do with my car, but I was trying to locate the master cylinder in the hole where the stock clutch cable came through.
The master sticks through the large grommet that the steering column passes though. The Turbo Coupe version is required because it has a metal plate inside of it. The hole where the clutch cable goes through is not used. I closed it off with the speedometer cable grommet from an automatic Mustang and ran the fluid reservoir's hose through it. The reservoir is in the engine compartment. Here's a couple of better shots of the stock Turbo Coupe pedal assembly.
Attached Thumbnails LS1 Mustang Swap Article for Popular Hot Rodding Magazine-dsc09950.jpg   LS1 Mustang Swap Article for Popular Hot Rodding Magazine-dsc00373a.jpg   LS1 Mustang Swap Article for Popular Hot Rodding Magazine-dsc00002a.jpg  

Last edited by powershiftkung; 11-27-2006 at 08:46 PM.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:47 PM
Staging Lane

Anyone know what the Camaro fuel gauge requires as far as resistance to read? Is it 0-33 Ohms?
Old 11-27-2006, 08:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what year pcm are you using?

The 99+ fuel level receives a signal from the pcm, i believe.

Ryan

Quick Reply: LS1 Mustang Swap Article for Popular Hot Rodding Magazine