Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSX Cobra (Shelby)? Has this been done?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting points mentioned here. The more I'm thinking, maybe a rear mounted trans is unnecessary w the short wheel base.

Happy Jim, or anyone else who has one...have you scaled your car. I'm wondering specifically about front to back weight balance. Do you think a rear mounted trans would positively impact your handling? Also curious to know total weight, even if I gotta convert it to pounds.
Old 11-10-2006, 04:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by subtlez28
Interesting points mentioned here. The more I'm thinking, maybe a rear mounted trans is unnecessary w the short wheel base.

Happy Jim, or anyone else who has one...have you scaled your car. I'm wondering specifically about front to back weight balance. Do you think a rear mounted trans would positively impact your handling? Also curious to know total weight, even if I gotta convert it to pounds.
The layout of the cob is basically front mid engined once you strip the body away.

Mine is 48/52 (front to back), wet weight (less driver) of 980Kg.

If you went back to the drawing board and moved the engine forward to give yourself some wheel well room then a rear mounted trans wouldn't be a bad idea (Although you'd start to hit engine clearance issues fairly quickly with the bonnet line)

Rgds

Jim
Old 11-10-2006, 06:22 PM
Teching In

here's a graphic of the weight distribution on my car:

and a dyno sheet:

(this is with a stock 03 Cobra engine

as you can see it is very well balanced, and it handles great !
Old 11-10-2006, 07:15 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by LS1Cobra
Hi Aaron,
I am in South Philly area, 5 minutes from the Lincoln Financial Field. I am not a track or autocross guy because I was never got introduced to. I would love to get involve when I am done with this car.

My Cobra Kit is a Zcar based kit and they are very rare. The kit was made by Tom Nalle from VA back in the 80's. The name for his company was Nalle Limited and it was based in VA. The kit comes complete with every little things to finish up the car. The kit is no longer offer by any one now. From the info I collected the mold was sold to a guy in upstate NY. I am assuming that guy modified the mold and now it becomes Upstate NY Cobra. If I am correct the old kit used to cost around 4 to 5K. However I just check the price from FFCobra and Upstate NY Cobra and they are like 20K just for the body kit and frame.

Please let me know when you are around Philly area. We can get together.
Definately will do...Delaware football season is just about over, so my Saturdays are about to be free again. I'll let ya know.

I actually just ordered a few books on Super 7 fabrication yesterday. Now I've gotta think about a power plant and budget.
Old 11-11-2006, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Happ Jim, thanks. You're car has gotta b fun on the road course.

SuperCobra4Me, great info - thanks! I would be hesitant to paint your car...it looks bad-*** in primer! Its got a real all business look!

I almost wish I hadn't started this thread, because I really want to start an Ls1 Cobra now...but timing is not good. Some day...
Old 11-11-2006, 10:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by subtlez28
SuperCobra4Me, great info - thanks! I would be hesitant to paint your car...it looks bad-*** in primer! Its got a real all business look!
Thanks !
I actually drove it like that for a few months (2200 miles), but the Body is at the painter right now probably getting an ALL BLACK paintjob.

Here are some videos I've done over the "SuperCobra" buildup:
http://www.cobra4me.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=320#320
Old 11-13-2006, 09:27 AM
On The Tree

Cobra4Me,
Man I love your gauges and the sliding window to cover up the gauges. The whole interior looks awesome as well. Nice car..
Old 11-13-2006, 02:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1Cobra
Cobra4Me,
Man I love your gauges and the sliding window to cover up the gauges. The whole interior looks awesome as well. Nice car..
Thanks !
The Dash as you saw is not finished, I still have to fabricate more Aluminum Bezels for it. and even more parts will go behind the dash to completely seal it from the front. I also need to fabricate or have someone CNC 3 more pieces that will go on the Roll bar.

slowly but I'll get it done.

Thanks for the kind words.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:17 PM
On The Tree

Cobra4Me,
I haven't got to work on my interior yet but when I do I will definitely steal a couple of your ideas. Now you get me thinking.
Vinh
Old 11-13-2006, 09:37 PM
TECH Resident

do you think the torque is low because of those sidepipes?
Old 11-13-2006, 10:42 PM
Teching In

LS1Cobra,
are you doing a Roadster Cobra or the Daytona Coupe/Datsun Z that you have in your webpage?
Old 11-14-2006, 10:47 AM
On The Tree

Cobra4Me,
I am doing a Daytona Coupe. Originally I was going to go with the aluminum race dash with roll cage and everything else to give it a race car look but I changed my mind. This will be a street and show car so I will keep the stock Z dash in there and no roll cage either. I like the details on the interiors of your car. I also love to build some little gadgets stuffs to surprise people like your sliding window on the dash. I am an electrical/electronic engineer and I love those electronic controlled stuffs. I will email you in the future when I need some help. Hope you don't mind.
Thanks
Vinh
PS. I have a C5 speedometer cluster that I plan to use in my stock dash and haven't figure out how I can put it in there yet. But the idea of the sliding window will definitely help fitting the cluster in there easier without having to hack up the dashboard. Still thinking...

Last edited by LS1Cobra; 11-14-2006 at 02:04 PM.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:36 AM
On The Tree

Just to let ya guys in on the Shelby thing...... The series 1 and 2 had northstar/aurora V8!
Old 11-23-2006, 06:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by H8Mac
Just to let ya guys in on the Shelby thing...... The series 1 and 2 had northstar/aurora V8!
The Series 1 is a totally different Car.

The allure with the 289 Cobra and the 427 Cobras come with history, a very rich history of beating every other car out of the racetrack right from the start. With the 289 Cobra being the real champion as it is the car with all the wins, the 427 Cobra never won anything but its shape is the most wanted and copied in the whole world. But with new technology comes progress, most new Cobra-Replica builders are using new drivetrains and suspensions, computers and fuel systems.

We can say that the Cobra is "The Ultimate Dream Machine"

Sergio
www.cobra4me.com
Old 11-23-2006, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SuperCobra4Me
The Series 1 is a totally different Car.

The allure with the 289 Cobra and the 427 Cobras come with history, a very rich history of beating every other car out of the racetrack right from the start. With the 289 Cobra being the real champion as it is the car with all the wins, the 427 Cobra never won anything but its shape is the most wanted and copied in the whole world. But with new technology comes progress, most new Cobra-Replica builders are using new drivetrains and suspensions, computers and fuel systems.

We can say that the Cobra is "The Ultimate Dream Machine"

Sergio
www.cobra4me.com

Yeah, what he said!
Old 11-23-2006, 10:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SuperCobra4Me
here's a graphic of the weight distribution on my car:

and a dyno sheet:

(this is with a stock 03 Cobra engine

as you can see it is very well balanced, and it handles great !
Were the swaybar endlinks disconnected when you did the corner weights?
Old 11-24-2006, 01:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by farnoush
Were the swaybar endlinks disconnected when you did the corner weights?
At the time of weighing it it had no sway bars.
We don't need sway bars for street cars on these vehicles since they are so light.
The 03 Cobra IRS cage is not in this car only parts of it.
Since then I have installed a set of specially designed sway bars for this frame.
Of course I am planning on taking it to the track sometimes.

Quick Reply: LSX Cobra (Shelby)? Has this been done?