Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4-door sleeper.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 09:22 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mullenh
er that engine is a 4.0 and is ok for an inline engine, mostly due to the large heads
*slaps forehead* It's a 4.4L V8, 286 hp. Called the M62. The M60 was the 4.0L that was in the previous gen 5 series, pre '96. Moves a 4000 lbs car pretty good.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How about a w124 mercedes(300e 86-95) or e34(older 5-series 89-96)bmw?
Both handle well, look good, and would love pushrod power under the hood.
Originally Posted by Bimmer Tech
Wow, if you don't think that 4.4L is a real engine, you have no place to be here. One of the best engines of it's time.
Last time I checked this was "LS1" tech. Why does he have no place here?
ANY bmw would benefit from an LS motor.
No need for more than ONE cam in a V8.

The M60 was the 4.0L that was in the previous gen 5 series, pre '96.
The M60 was replaced by the M240G, both chain fed 7.62X39

PS
I thought it was pronounced "beamer" as in beam of light.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:01 PM
Teching In

There's a guy on here with a four door Malibu thats done up pretty nice, its not an LS1 but he's got the look down. And the supercharged 383 efi small block doesn't hurt either.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:01 AM
Staging Lane

how about a cadillac catera or a mazda 929? either of those with an LS1 would be badazz
Old 12-14-2006, 12:03 AM
On The Tree

I honestly know nothing about the engine in the BMW, so it was an ignorant comment and I stand corrected.

I do know a LSx engine is a viable alternative to a huge amount of other engines when talking about converting, and my statement stemmed from that. So no offense.

Originally Posted by Gen3Benz
How about a w124 mercedes(300e 86-95)
I had to do a Google search to figure out what type of car you were talking about. I've mostly seen the 500E model pictures (I'm going to type this reply and go back to looking, to see some 300e models) and I love 'em. I was behind a car just like these 500Es the other day and was BS'ing with my wife about how cool they look.

Can you recommend a site to do some more specific researching on these cars? What's the difference between the 500 and 300 models (I'll probably know by the time you read this, haha)?

And this might be a silly question, but how are the interiors and options available? I have to sell this to the wife, and we have a baby on the way... Priorities!

Thanks!
Old 12-14-2006, 12:14 AM
On The Tree

Ah, I definitely wasn't behind a 500E. Not with the stoner looking kids that were driving it... Must have been one of the lower models. Wikipedia doesn't really mention the 300E though...
Old 12-14-2006, 08:43 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Fuzzylogic
And this might be a silly question, but how are the interiors and options available? I have to sell this to the wife, and we have a baby on the way... Priorities!

Thanks!
I was in the same boat when I picked the Bravada. Had to sell it to the wife, and had a daughter on the way (which means a car seat HAS to fit). My Z28 is fun, but the backseat isn't exactly carseat friendly (it fits, but just barely, and she can kick the back of the seat without any trouble). Which is why I was looking for 4doors with a decent backseat.

And AWD to make it safer to drive in the rain (and maybe some snow) were plusses for the Bravada. I used to enjoy the fact that my Z28 would spin the tires in the rain. But now that I've matured a bit (wife and kid) I don't find tires spinning at 45mph in 3rd or 4th gear all that exciting (more terrifying) especially when you really need to be picking up speed to 70mph in order to merge into traffic and are running out of merge lane.

Good luck deciding what to build, convincing the wife, collecting the funds and parts, and getting it built. You'd be suprised how big a distraction a cute little baby can be.....

'JustDreamin'
Old 12-14-2006, 09:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

The M60 was replaced by the M240G, both chain fed 7.62X39
actually 7.62x51....

I thinka good sleeper would be a fast Mustang......
haha.....ha.....er.....
Old 12-14-2006, 11:52 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JustDreamin
I was in the same boat when I picked the Bravada. Had to sell it to the wife, and had a daughter on the way (which means a car seat HAS to fit). My Z28 is fun, but the backseat isn't exactly carseat friendly (it fits, but just barely, and she can kick the back of the seat without any trouble). Which is why I was looking for 4doors with a decent backseat.

And AWD to make it safer to drive in the rain (and maybe some snow) were plusses for the Bravada. I used to enjoy the fact that my Z28 would spin the tires in the rain. But now that I've matured a bit (wife and kid) I don't find tires spinning at 45mph in 3rd or 4th gear all that exciting (more terrifying) especially when you really need to be picking up speed to 70mph in order to merge into traffic and are running out of merge lane.

Good luck deciding what to build, convincing the wife, collecting the funds and parts, and getting it built. You'd be suprised how big a distraction a cute little baby can be.....

'JustDreamin'
Absolutely, I'm psyched about the baby... But I have just secured a great paying job with tons of advancement potential, and I have a nice house with a huge garage - so I need my garage toys, haha.

Did you have a website detailing your Bravada build? I like the idea of AWD and LS1 power, especially here in Oregon...
Old 12-14-2006, 01:27 PM
TECH Resident

Sorry, no website on the Bravada....I have some underhood pictures, I can send to you if you'd like. PM me an email address if you're interested.

And I'd be happy to discuss my Bravada build with you, if you've got any questions....

'JustDreamin'
Old 12-14-2006, 06:43 PM
Launching!

Last time I checked this was "LS1" tech. Why does he have no place here?
ANY bmw would benefit from an LS motor. No need for more than ONE cam in a V8.
Sorry guys, but it's time to rant. The above statement is one of the most ignorant things I've heard in a long time. THE LSX GROUP OF ENGINES IS NOT THE END-ALL OF PERFORMANCE. THERE ARE BETTER ENGINES OUT THERE. PERIOD. Yes this is LS1 tech, not let's talk out of *** and bad mouth everything else. BMW is all about a balance of handling, braking, acceleration, and ride quality. My money is that the person who made the original statement about the 540i has never driven one, much less any BMW. Nine out of ten conversions (including my one right now) are completely lacking at least two, sometimes three of the above items that make a balanced and fun car to drive. I can only think of two, maybe three BMWs that can benefit from an LS1 and still be a fun, reliable car. I'm done ranting and I'll go away now.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:00 PM
On The Tree

And I, as the original person you spoke of, corrected myself after you initially responded and said you had a good point.

No need to cry, your BMWs can defend themselves without you ranting.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

*slaps forehead* It's a 4.4L V8, 286 hp. Called the M62. The M60 was the 4.0L that was in the previous gen 5 series, pre '96. Moves a 4000 lbs car pretty good.
lol , slap your forehead again, there is nothing special about Bitch Moan & Whine motors lol, their heads flows at a decent level and are large and thats about it. BMW = Bitch Moan & Whine
Old 12-14-2006, 09:21 PM
Launching!

Heh, I prefer Break My Wallet. They are good engines though.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Fuzzylogic - look on ebay for 300e, they are all over.

Sorry guys, but it's time to rant. The above statement is one of the most ignorant things I've heard in a long time. THE LSX GROUP OF ENGINES IS NOT THE END-ALL OF PERFORMANCE. THERE ARE BETTER ENGINES OUT THERE. PERIOD.
end all of performance? When did I say that?
BMW engines are good for one type of people, bmw shop owners.
LSx engines are cheap, reliable power. period.
I myself have drivin(and worked on) 540's and not very impressed
however e46 m3's are good looking cars and would make a great LSx canidate
Old 12-15-2006, 11:43 AM
On The Tree

Comparing BMW V8s to LS series engines is like comparing apples to oranges. BMW engines on the whole are probably the most advanced engines out there, from the lowley 3 series all the way up to the RR Phantom V12. Valve Tronic, Direct Injection etc are cutting edge technologies that just can't be compared to a pushrod V8. Lets face it guys, the beauty of the LS engine is its simplicity, compactness, low weight and low cost, thats it. Bang for buck the LS1 wins. Horsepower per liter BMW wins hands down. If I could afford to put a BMW V8 in my little 318 I wouldn't be on this forum looking for alternative power options. My $0.02.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:49 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by eurautodave
volvo, volvo, volvo
i bought my 94 940 for $1K(it needed an engine). the body is clean and straight. i just finished a 98 ls1 a4 swap and ran a 13.9 at 97 with serious traction problems. the stock 4.10 gears will handle the torque but are way to short for comfortable highway cruise. i'm going to pick-up some 3.31 gears this weekend and have a nice 150 mph autobahn cruiser in a couple of weeks. the midsize package is perfect and talk about sleeper...plus volvos are legendary for their robustness. i love this car...

Hey eurautodave, you have any more pics of your build. You should start your own thread on that Volvo buildup.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fuzzylogic - look on ebay for 300e, they are all over.

end all of performance? When did I say that?
BMW engines are good for one type of people, bmw shop owners.
LSx engines are cheap, reliable power. period.
I myself have drivin(and worked on) 540's and not very impressed
however e46 m3's are good looking cars and would make a great LSx canidate

Maybe camming a "LS1 is cheap"

Building a LS1 into making big power number isnt what so ever......The power you get is good for the price, But is it cheap? NOPE
Old 12-15-2006, 12:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

what about a 4 door dodge dart?
Old 12-15-2006, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Late 80's/early 90's BMW would be great. 4 door 3 Series; You can fit an LS1 under the hood, RWD, light, and have a very nice interior (for the time) w/ leather, etc. You can pick up a chassis with a beat engine but in decent shape for 1500 bucks all day long.

Quick Reply: 4-door sleeper.