Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4-door sleeper.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 07:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you guys with your 4k pound road hogs, that are ill handling and have gm craptastic interiors. skip all the bullshit and get with the program. my volvo has the best of american motivation and solid euro body structure. the ergonomics are great and the trunk has room for four dead bodies. the safety is so good, my wife doesn't even freak-out when i take connector ramps at 90 mph.

Last edited by eurautodave; 12-19-2006 at 07:35 PM.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:46 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by eurautodave
you guys with your 4k pound road hogs, that are ill handling and have gm craptastic interiors. skip all the bullshit and get with the program. my volvo has the best of american motivation and solid euro body structure. the ergonomics are great and the trunk has room for four dead bodies. the safety is so good, my wife doesn't even freak-out when i take connector ramps at 90 mph.

Yeah I don't think people realise how well Volvos handle with minimal work and the LS1 is probably the same weight as that turbo 4 banger and best of all they are really solid cars.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:28 PM
Teching In

yeah my car weighed 3250 before and 3370 after the swap. i'd love to do a bmw swap but then you got bmw prices for everything else you need to upgrade. i can't say i was a huge volvo lover before this car but a ls1 changes everything.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:44 PM
10 Second Club

no one here obviously is thinking that a 4,000 lb car is going to make an LS1 faster. with a 4000 lb Caprice vs your 3400lb volvo the diffrence wont be that noticable, maybe 2 tenths. the price of getting a volvo that looks good would be substantialy more than getting a caprice or malibu, which have the same quality interiors as volvos from the same time periods.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

glad your happy with your Volvo. We are all refreshed and challenged by your unique point of view.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:26 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Cop Car
no one here obviously is thinking that a 4,000 lb car is going to make an LS1 faster. with a 4000 lb Caprice vs your 3400lb volvo the diffrence wont be that noticable, maybe 2 tenths. the price of getting a volvo that looks good would be substantialy more than getting a caprice or malibu, which have the same quality interiors as volvos from the same time periods.
Maybe not in a straignt line but when braking and cornering weight becomes a HUGE issue.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:45 PM
Teching In

hey i'm glad there are people that like gm products, otherwise i wouldn't have my engine. but if you think a gm and volvo interior are similar, you haven't sat yo *** in a comfortable, heated swedish seat. as far as the bubble bodies go...you need some serious hp to make up for a 700 lb weight disadvantage, but great, lets race....oh yeah, those are fine looking.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:58 PM
12 Second Club

i personally think you can take your volvo and shove it up your ***
Old 12-21-2006, 06:05 PM
Teching In

i'm impressed by your well thought-out arguement...i think i'll go find a forum with a sign of intelligent life....
Old 12-21-2006, 06:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is why they make all different kinds of cars... consumer choice! To each his own. Personally at the ripe age of 25, I think I'm still a little too young (and vain) to drive a boxy Volvo if I can help it. I am putting the 1994 940 in the station wangon/minivan category.

Old 12-21-2006, 06:35 PM
Staging Lane

4 door chevette with a quite muffler i know you will lose some hp with the restriction but you can put a scoop on it wide tires or anything else you need to make it fit or for per.gains and people would just laugh at you until you handed them their a$$ i know they are ugly and have crappy interior but theyre light and cheap dunno just my.02
Old 12-21-2006, 06:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ahh, honestly I am pulling out as much of the Lucas wiring as I can. A little searching on a the forum at www.jag-lovers.com (much like this forum) will get you some good info. It's probably a widow switch... you can actually pop them out and clean the contacts. The archives are easy to search and FULL of good info, even on V8 converted models. LT1 swaps are supposed to be a breeze and very inexpensive.

Originally Posted by MattSt
I bought a 79 XLJ6 (the really long one) with a carbed 350 conversion already done. I'm thinking about doing a LS1 swap but I also have a S-10 that's begging for an LS1 and I just can't decide. The wiring on the Jag scares the crap out of me. I already have 2 windows that don't roll down.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:28 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Thaniel
Maybe not in a straignt line but when braking and cornering weight becomes a HUGE issue.
why would you try to brake or corner a 3500lb car? might as well start with a camaro. this guy is talking about a car to daily drive, and he wants it to be fast, if someone wants an autox car they should be looking at vettes, RX7s, S13/14s and 240Zs. we cant start mixing things up here. either you want an all around car, you want a nice street car or you want a ***** to the wall car.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:56 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Cop Car
why would you try to brake or corner a 3500lb car? might as well start with a camaro. this guy is talking about a car to daily drive, and he wants it to be fast, if someone wants an autox car they should be looking at vettes, RX7s, S13/14s and 240Zs. we cant start mixing things up here. either you want an all around car, you want a nice street car or you want a ***** to the wall car.
My drive to work is much like an autocross course (EXTREEMLY tight winding mountain roads). Cornering and stoping is as important to me as accelerating for my daily driver.

Maybe I'm the only one.

Oh, I forgot. My LS1 swapped 4-door WILL replace my Rx-7

Last edited by Thaniel; 12-22-2006 at 11:57 AM. Reason: forgot
Old 12-24-2006, 01:54 AM
On The Tree

Found a few VERY cheap SVT Contours in my area. They're FWD, but if they could be converted to RWD and a LS1 fits...that'd be a pretty hot sedan.
Old 12-24-2006, 02:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fuzzylogic
Found a few VERY cheap SVT Contours in my area. They're FWD, but if they could be converted to RWD and a LS1 fits...that'd be a pretty hot sedan.

Um alot easyer said than done

You could always swap in a FWD ls1...
Old 12-24-2006, 08:56 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

In the latest Hot Rod Magazine, there is a 2 door 77 Chevette with a 454. An LS could also work. Tiny, probably just for straight line perf, but fun.

We should go back to Fuzzy and ask him if we've answered his original question.
Old 12-24-2006, 01:23 PM
On The Tree

I'm still here, browsing the Autotraders and Craigslist, with a text document opened of all the awesome suggestions I've gotten in here.

I'm leaning towards a '01 Crown Vic or 9C1 Caprice.
Old 12-26-2006, 12:46 AM
Launching!

there is a newer lexus roaming around where i live that i hear rumuors that it has an ls1 in it.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:03 PM
10 Second Club

just get a 9C1 Caprice or a LT1 Impala SS and put a 396 stroker kit in it, AFR heads and a supercharger on it, youd walk away from most LS1 cars.

after hearing about how easy it is to change a focus to rwd, i was looking at an SVT Contour and i was like thats a great looking car, i wonder if its as easy to convert as the foci

Quick Reply: 4-door sleeper.