Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So here's the game plan 00 Mustang + LSx + huge turbo :)

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 08:24 AM
7 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bonecrrusher
is that 2%?
Why yes it is...
Old 06-19-2007, 08:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Phil99vette
Why yes it is...
It has to be. If it was whole he wouldnt have the energy to get all the work he has been doing done, lol. He would be sitting inside and not working on the car. Awesome job Phil. This car is one of the coolest projects I have seen in a while.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:31 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

still moving at a remarkable pace i see! as far as the removable section of iIC tubing on the pass side, i think it's a great idea and a good place for some wiggins clamps for fast removal. they're a bit pricey, but really trick as i'm sure you already know. keep up the great work!
Old 06-19-2007, 11:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you test fit your radiator in there yet??? your turbo is way bigger than mine and my radiator would BARELY clear the turbo in the spot that you have it in.......who needs a core support anyway!!!!just cut it out.....you still shooting for 2800lbs??
Old 06-20-2007, 01:34 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by PRAY HRD
still moving at a remarkable pace i see! as far as the removable section of iIC tubing on the pass side, i think it's a great idea and a good place for some wiggins clamps for fast removal. they're a bit pricey, but really trick as i'm sure you already know. keep up the great work!
Naw, I am not a fan of wiggins clamps. Brian over Quick time motorsports has o-ring V-band clamps at a decent price and I'll probably use those.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:44 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by ALL UC2
did you test fit your radiator in there yet??? your turbo is way bigger than mine and my radiator would BARELY clear the turbo in the spot that you have it in.......who needs a core support anyway!!!!just cut it out.....you still shooting for 2800lbs??
What size radiator did you go with? The class I run requires a factory core support but it can be modified. I cut off the one side of the front section(core support) for cold pipes clearance but it will look like factory when done. I'm shooting for as little weight as possible.
Phil
Old 06-20-2007, 11:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

22x19 jegs.......i massaged one side of the core support with a 4 lb swing press and sawzall.......made a little more room for me, but the turbo still barely fit, i ended up and and moved it a little. was a little too close for comfort for me to the headlight and radiator... would still like to have more room on the radiator......what is the diameter on your turbo??? mine is about 12"
Old 06-22-2007, 03:35 PM
7 Second Club

I got the intercooler mounted and the turbo to IC pipe essentially done. I still need to pickup some 4" v-band clamps to finish it off. I'll post some pics shortly.
Old 06-23-2007, 05:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bonecrrusher
is that 2%?
I think it's whole...
Old 06-23-2007, 08:26 PM
FormerVendor

Hey Phil,
I need one of these tanks for my battery compartment..
Can you PM me a "roundabout" cost??

Looks UNREAL man..
Originally Posted by Phil99vette
Old 06-23-2007, 09:31 PM
Banned

I think weld appearance is the equivalent to rice spoilers and bodykits.

But I'd be lying if my jaw didn't hit the floor from those pictures.

Damn.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:36 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by FieroZ34
I hope you are kidding.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:58 AM
Teching In

Explain...

I know a great few racers... the only reason they paint a car and its components is to prevent corrosion... if they didn't have to they wouldnt... added weight...
Old 06-25-2007, 11:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TeknoMaeg
Explain...

I know a great few racers... the only reason they paint a car and its components is to prevent corrosion... if they didn't have to they wouldnt... added weight...
I really don't want to gunk up this thread, but you asked. I'm no welder by trade, it's just a hobby that I happen to be rather bad at.

Do prettier welds mean stronger welds? Not necessarily. My welds are uglier than ****, but they penetrate well, and I haven't broken one yet (I build engine mounts, headers, intake manifolds, and exhaust systems). Whether or not mine are stronger than his, I couldn't tell you. So I equate pretty welds with ricey parts, as they really don't impact the performance. That's not to say I like ugly welds, F THAT. I hate my welds, and do everything I can to cover them up. His look amazing, and I hope he doesn't grind any down, and I hope he shows them off. So there really is no reason not to make them look good (Assuming you have the ability, aka not me), but I don't think making them look good makes them any better.

Basically, my theory on welds is an excuse for my own looking like crap and people making fun of me for it.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:53 PM
Teching In

Basically, my theory on welds is an excuse for my own looking like crap and people making fun of me for it.
I'm a hobbyist as well... I have built quite a few things but they never looked "show" quality... purely functional.

As far as being pretty. You are right that penetration is what matters most but so does equality. An even weld will be stronger simply because one section won't be stronger than the others...

Take perforated paper for example. If you take a normal sheet of paper and try to tear it, it will require more force than if you have weakened an area of the paper. Same premise.

That and with even welds only utilizing and minimum of material to weld...it will keep weight down. Hence why on aircraft you will find minimalist welds.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Goddamm! subscribing, great progress.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:57 PM
7 Second Club

I really don't want to gunk up this thread, but you asked. I'm no welder by trade, it's just a hobby that I happen to be rather bad at.

Do prettier welds mean stronger welds? Not necessarily. My welds are uglier than ****, but they penetrate well, and I haven't broken one yet (I build engine mounts, headers, intake manifolds, and exhaust systems). Whether or not mine are stronger than his, I couldn't tell you. So I equate pretty welds with ricey parts, as they really don't impact the performance. That's not to say I like ugly welds, F THAT. I hate my welds, and do everything I can to cover them up. His look amazing, and I hope he doesn't grind any down, and I hope he shows them off. So there really is no reason not to make them look good (Assuming you have the ability, aka not me), but I don't think making them look good makes them any better.

Please, take your conversation to PM. Back to our normally scheduled program.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:04 PM
7 Second Club

Update:
This past weekend was tough for extra time. I got alot of the rear fuel cell, water tank and battery structure mocked up. We need to get some more tubing to finish up the rear section.

List of parts we received:
Rule 17A 3800gph water pump
Double roller timing chain
Wheel 2 Wheel custom cam
Aeromotive Fuel pump
Aeromotive Regulator

Friday night I did alittle work and basically got the turbo to intercooler pipe done, I've got two more welds to do once I get the 4" v-band clamps. The other side will be a piece of cake, 2 - 90 4" bends and we're going to right at the TB.

This morning I started on the front end again, right now we have roughly 3 degrees of camber per side, I'm going to modify the CNC'd billet upper mounts and add 1/2" to the already slotted upper chassis structure. This should allow me to get to -.5 degree of camber or so.

Things I need to do this week are measure how much exhaust tubing I need to run a full 5" aluminum exhaust, mock up the fuel pump mounts, finish up the rear structure for the fuel cell, water tank and battery.

I'm also kicking around the idea of making another set of control arms to widen the front alittle more but won't make a decision until I get the upper mounts finalized.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:28 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Phil,

Looking great. subscribed.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:36 PM
Teching In

Subscribed...you are my idol!

Quick Reply: So here's the game plan 00 Mustang + LSx + huge turbo :)