Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EPP Ferrari 308 LS2 project car!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always loved the way those cars look, this one will obviously be the coolest one EVER though
Old 01-27-2007, 02:50 PM
FormerVendor

The MN7 model i belive is one of the HD models that are for the 5.3L

As far as the 5.3L , its a possibility but might need forced induction.

What kind of power do people manage to put through the GTP/GXP trans's
Old 01-27-2007, 03:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 30th TA 0219
EPP, GREAT STUFF!! Not a knock on you, more the disbelievrs, but this is hardly groundbreaking stuff. Norwood in TX used to do SBC Ferraris in the 80s and 90s. They were some of the fastest ones ever tested by the magz (R&T, C&D, etc) They made a few SBC GTOs (HOLY SACRILEGE BATMAN!!) and of course THIS BBC Land Speed car Don't know how feasible the 9inch/ZF deal is in the 308, but....
I dont' think they made any SBC 288 GTO's. They had a twin turbo BBC 288 bodied 308.
Old 01-27-2007, 03:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JustDreamin
Interesting swap....

Guy I used to know had a 308, which he'd drive to work on occasion. Some of the engineering on that car was downright stupid. Like the oil filter placement. It was on the top of the motor, mounted at about a 45 degree angle, with the seal side down. And it sat right next to the intake. Always looked like it'd take 2 minutes to change the oil filter and 2 hours to clean up the mess!

And that thing had to have the 2nd worst exhaust note I have ever heard! A pair of 4 cylinder diesel gensets running slightly out of synch actually sounded better (I did a comparison with a truck at the shop, everybody surveyed said the Ferrari sounded worse). My personal opinion is the only thing that sounds worse is a Wankel at 15,000 rpm with straight pipes (sounds like a gigantic bumble bee).

I'm sure your exhaust note will be better, and the car should be a lot more fun....

'JustDreamin'
The top mounted oil filter is the easiest and cleanest oil filter to change. Punch it first, then drain the oil, fill with oil, then change the filter. You won't spill a drop since the filter will be empty.

Exhuast note is purly subjective. I love the sound of the Ferrari V8's, twin turbo V8's and V12s. Add a Tubi and they sound even sweeter. The F40 with a Tubi is unreal. Words cannot describe the sound when it hits full boost and the external wastegate opens up.
Old 01-27-2007, 03:42 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by eastcoastbumps
The top mounted oil filter is the easiest and cleanest oil filter to change. Punch it first, then drain the oil, fill with oil, then change the filter. You won't spill a drop since the filter will be empty.

Exhuast note is purly subjective. I love the sound of the Ferrari V8's, twin turbo V8's and V12s. Add a Tubi and they sound even sweeter. The F40 with a Tubi is unreal. Words cannot describe the sound when it hits full boost and the external wastegate opens up.
Wouldn't that allow the grime in the filter run back through the engine?
Old 01-27-2007, 07:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
Please make it a manual!
Manual is fun and with the "interesting" torque curve of the Ferrari (all of it at the top) then a manual would be needed. With the LSx, tons of torque are available all the way up and there is enough to lose some in an automatic tranny and never miss it.

I'm putting an LS6 into my Mercedes and I'm using an automatic (a built 4L60E) to keep from tearing up that expensive Mercedes IRS rear end. There is too much money involved in the differential and the axles to tear them up and a manual would put a lot more stress on them than the automatic. Also, I'm staying with some reasonable rim width (~9.5" in the rear) for the same reason - not so much traction that I tear up something when I hammer it. Tire smoke is much cheaper than a custom built Mercedes limited slip differential.

I'm sure that the 308 has some very expensive parts under there, but you'll be getting rid of the need for a valve adjustment that costs several thousand dollars, rather overpriced distributor caps and spark plugs.

Good luck on the project!
Old 01-28-2007, 04:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Dragula
The filters don't have an anti drain back valve so they drain back every time you shut down the car. And all that grime goes into the oil pan, which you drain too.

Ever see the maintenace records for a Ferrari? This is a great article: http://www.sportscarmarket.com/articles/archives/939
Old 01-29-2007, 07:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

assuming its a horizontal filter, and not tilted into the motor, any grime thats in the filter, will go with the flow, out of the filter, not against the flow, over to the motor.

i do the same thing on my motorcycle.. i know popping the filter with a screwdriver seems messier and unnecessary... but it lets the filter drain thru a hole and makes it spin loose easily... less fuss, less mess....
Old 01-29-2007, 08:19 AM
TECH Resident

Well, the filter isn't horizontal, it's tilted.

And if there isn't an anti-drainback hole in there, that means 2 things:
1.) Pretty much every start is a "dry" start, since you've got to refill the entire oil system (not your best idea from a longevity standpoint).
2.) Some of the crap that the oil filter is supposed to catch can take a second chance at getting past the filter. Not really a good idea either.

Personally, a vertically mounted filter mounted low on the motor seems to me to be the best engineering solution. Vertical orientation allows you to prefill the filter, run an anti-drainback valve so the oil system is always full, and keeps the crap the filter is meant to trap in the filter. And should also make it easy to change from the bottom, since that's where the drain plug is usually located (or did Ferrari move that too?) After all, you can change the oil by sucking it up the dipstick tube (some people have to do it that way with their boats) but its not really the easiest way.

I do agree that exhaust note is subjective. After all, there are folks out there with 1.8L 4 cylinders with 5" exhaust tips that think their engine exhaust note is really nice. I don't agree with them, but they are entitled to their opionion, however wrong I may think it is.

'JustDreamin'
Old 01-29-2007, 08:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

mas pics?
Old 01-29-2007, 08:30 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by eastcoastbumps
Ever see the maintenace records for a Ferrari? This is a great article: http://www.sportscarmarket.com/articles/archives/939
That is absolutely NUTS!

Those guys spent more on maintenance that most people spend buying 2 or more cars. Personally, I've got 5 vehicles and the fleet total is still significantly under that amount of $$$. Must be nice to be loaded with money and not know how to spend it fast enough.

'JustDreamin'
Old 01-29-2007, 10:01 AM
12 Second Club

Sweet project. Hope you get the transaxle worked out. Is there enough room to mount the engine longitudonally? There are Porsche and ZF options in that case if there is. The Ultima and GT40 guys use those. And I know the Ultimas can be mated to LSx engines.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:51 PM
12 Second Club

If you want an auto, can you make a TH425 (3 speed) or TH325-4L (4 speed) from the old FWD toronado fit?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbo-Hydramatic_425

Here's more info on the seyup and how to adapt it although it's for a Fiero.

http://fp.enter.net/~rockcrawl/SBCLa.html

Last edited by Dragula; 01-29-2007 at 04:57 PM.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:29 PM
FormerVendor

If you want an auto, can you make a TH425 (3 speed) or TH325-4L (4 speed) from the old FWD toronado fit?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbo-Hydramatic_425

Here's more info on the seyup and how to adapt it although it's for a Fiero.

http://fp.enter.net/~rockcrawl/SBCLa.html
Thanks for the information regarding these transmissions, they seem quite a bit more stout then a 4T65e.

A ferrari with a trans-brake and a stall would be amazing
Old 01-29-2007, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jake@EPP
A ferrari with a trans-brake and a stall would be amazing
It's so wrong, it's right.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:51 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Smile

Originally Posted by Hugger Z
Sweet project. Hope you get the transaxle worked out. Is there enough room to mount the engine longitudonally? There are Porsche and ZF options in that case if there is. The Ultima and GT40 guys use those. And I know the Ultimas can be mated to LSx engines.
Hugger Z, that was what I was thinking, but if the engine was mounted towards the front though, the placement of the transmission would be pretty far back. I'd hate to have too much angle on the axles. Placing the engine to the rear has been done on some Fiero's, which would be okay if the car was going to be used for wheelie demonstrations...
I need to find out the dimensions of the Porshe transmissions. It would be nice to keep with the larger LS2 displacement, maybe an L92, and a stickshift. Thanks. Bob
Old 01-29-2007, 07:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,441 Likes on 909 Posts

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
Hugger Z, that was what I was thinking, but if the engine was mounted towards the front though, the placement of the transmission would be pretty far back. I'd hate to have too much angle on the axles. Placing the engine to the rear has been done on some Fiero's, which would be okay if the car was going to be used for wheelie demonstrations...
I need to find out the dimensions of the Porshe transmissions. It would be nice to keep with the larger LS2 displacement, maybe an L92, and a stickshift. Thanks. Bob
Bob,

The the G-force trans ever pan out?

Andrew
Old 01-29-2007, 11:18 PM
On The Tree

Thats the way the motor sits in the 288 GTO.

Old 01-30-2007, 07:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

bob, speack to these guys they will be able to help with any Prosche transmissions!

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/gassing/forum.asp?f=20&h=0

thanks Chris.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:31 AM
Launching!

If you want measurements on an LS mated to a Porsche G50 send me a PM... thats what I'm running.

Quick Reply: EPP Ferrari 308 LS2 project car!