Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st gen with ls1 (power steering hose)

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 08:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1st gen with ls1 (power steering hose)

anybody have some pics of how they ran the pressure hose out of the pump, and part # for the hose ends they used. i have an 87 iroc box,i found the metric o ring fittings for like $12.00 any help would be great mike
Old 01-30-2007, 09:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can tell you how to do it or at least how I did mine because I had the same problem. Because the hose was long enough i did not cut off the fitting that goes into the pump. I did cut the fitting off the hose that goes to the steering box. I then routed the hose to the box i took a paint pen and drew a line on the top side of the hose so i would know just exactly how to put the new 90 degree SAE fitting in. i went to napa and they clamped one on for me.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

I measured the length I needed, then I took the original F-Body pressure hose, along with the orignal 1st gen pressure hose down to a local shop that does hydraulic hoses. Told them I need a hose that long with this fitting (LS1) on one end and a fitting that size (steering box) on the other. Told them I needed a swivel fitting on the steering box end so I could get it positioned right. They fixed me up for about $30. They had to do a little welding to get the F-body end on, but it came out real nice. Look for shops that do hydraulic hoses for heavy equipment. The return hose just clamps on, the hose shop was able to fix me up with a piece of that to match my pressure hose.

Hope that helps.

Pat
Old 01-30-2007, 09:52 PM
TECH Resident

A Parker Hydralics place should be able to hook you up. They actually have the proper hose "DOT rated" and the fittings to adapt over. Their airconditioning fittings are exactly the same as the GM power steering fittings. Take a look at what they have and they should be able to hook you up. I've done two conversions now 1 in my S10 and another for a friend of mine that is doing a swap on a 95 caprice. Both times they had the fittings I've needed on both the GM power steering pump side and the steering box side.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kossuth
A Parker Hydralics place should be able to hook you up. They actually have the proper hose "DOT rated" and the fittings to adapt over. Their airconditioning fittings are exactly the same as the GM power steering fittings. Take a look at what they have and they should be able to hook you up. I've done two conversions now 1 in my S10 and another for a friend of mine that is doing a swap on a 95 caprice. Both times they had the fittings I've needed on both the GM power steering pump side and the steering box side.
yes but the problem he has is the hose won't twist into place, the hose is more like a pipe and the fittings do not rotate. You have to get it right or start over.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:45 AM
TECH Resident

Hydratech sent me all the hoses/fittings I needed for my swap . LS1 pump, early style AGR box, and a hydroboost unit sitting between them. On the pump side, they used a Lee Mfg insert to convert the metric pump to a flare (AN? not sure) fitting. On the steering box side, they used a flare-to-AN fitting. Return line is my original '68 hose barb on the steering box with a new hose clamped on it and clamped on to the hose barb on the pump reservoir. I don't know about routing problems, but fitting-wise any 3rd gen pressure hose should fit the LS1 pump and IROC steering box.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:28 PM
Launching!

Rodder and 69Blackwidow, do either of you guys know what the output shaft size is on your Iroc steering box? I've tried two different sizes on mine with no luck yet (3/4"-30 spline & 3/4"-36 spline)

BTW, here is the best pic I could find of how I ran my power steering line (pressure line) I don't have any part numbers for the fittings that I used.
Attached Thumbnails 1st gen with ls1 (power steering hose)-copy-picture-013.jpg  

Last edited by Rybar; 02-01-2007 at 05:11 PM.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:28 PM
Grr
TECH Fanatic

question kinda related to this, i have a LQ4 truck PS pump and it has 2 return fittings, which one goes where, and can i block one of them off somehow?
Gary
Old 02-01-2007, 11:03 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Grr
question kinda related to this, i have a LQ4 truck PS pump and it has 2 return fittings, which one goes where, and can i block one of them off somehow?
Gary
Sounds like you have a power steering pump from a truck with hydroboost brakes. You should be able to just block off the return for the hydroboost brakes, but I have no idea which is which. Both returns probably just return to the tank and have the same function, but I can`t say for sure.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:14 AM
On The Tree

rybar i can`t find the part # for my steering u-joint but i got it from prodigy customs along with the ididit column they had to shorten for the u-joint to work and still bolt up in the factory holes mike
Old 02-02-2007, 02:27 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mullenh
yes but the problem he has is the hose won't twist into place, the hose is more like a pipe and the fittings do not rotate. You have to get it right or start over.
Ok, so the fittings wouldn't be clocked right. Here is the way to get past that. Have him crimp one end leave your hose alittle long and leave the other end uncrimped. Take it home cut to proper length install fitting install hose into fitting and mark with a light gray marker. That way you can't mess up how the hose was clocked. Take it back to the guy and have him crimp the other end. Pretty simple really.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:43 PM
TECH Resident

I went a different route. I used Russell's line of braided steel Power Steering hose and adapters. Worked perfect for my C5 pump and S10 powersteering box.

'JustDreamin'
Old 02-02-2007, 05:25 PM
On The Tree

justdreamin wow is that tight lol great job. do you have the part #`s of what you used. i looked at your pics and can`t even see your hoses or ends lol mike
Old 02-02-2007, 08:15 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 69blackwidow
justdreamin wow is that tight lol great job. do you have the part #`s of what you used. i looked at your pics and can`t even see your hoses or ends lol mike
The powersteering hose is completely and totally buried... I'm not sure if I could get to it if I needed to.....

I used Russell Stuff, all -6:
I've got 90 degree ends on both ends of the hose, Russell # 620421
I used a 3' length of hose: Russell # 632600
And 2 different adapters:
Russell # 648060 -6 to 16mm x 1.5 O-ring Seal
Russell # 648080 -6 to 18mm x 1.5 O-ring Seal
I don't remember which one went where (sorry).

The parts aren't cheap, the list above is like $60. But it was easy to put together (without 6 trips to the Parker store) and doesn't leak.

Other things to note: Parker doesn't necessarily make all the adapters that you might need for powersteering (Russell has a nice selection, but may still fall short). And AN fittings (the Russell stuff) and JIC fittings (what Parker carries) don't officially interchange. You might get by without leaks, but there's no guarantee. Mix and match at your own risk.

'JustDreamin'
Old 02-02-2007, 09:01 PM
On The Tree

kool, thanks for the info. hey do you go down to the ocean city cruz weekend in may. that is a good time. mike
Old 02-02-2007, 09:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kossuth
Ok, so the fittings wouldn't be clocked right. Here is the way to get past that. Have him crimp one end leave your hose alittle long and leave the other end uncrimped. Take it home cut to proper length install fitting install hose into fitting and mark with a light gray marker. That way you can't mess up how the hose was clocked. Take it back to the guy and have him crimp the other end. Pretty simple really.
exactly! that is safer than what i did with the paint pen even. it does call for 2 trips but oh well.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:52 PM
TECH Regular

you have the same setup as rs69camarovette..pm him
Old 02-03-2007, 11:54 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Rybar
Rodder and 69Blackwidow, do either of you guys know what the output shaft size is on your Iroc steering box? I've tried two different sizes on mine with no luck yet (3/4"-30 spline & 3/4"-36 spline)
Mine isn't an IROC box--it's an AGR "12:1 Billet" box with a 13/16 input shaft so I can use the stock ragjoint. For an IROC box, you need a GM part # 7826542 ragjoint and # 7807271 bolt.
Old 02-03-2007, 03:40 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 69blackwidow
hey do you go down to the ocean city cruz weekend in may. that is a good time. mike
I haven't, but I might have to this year, since the truck actually runs.... Guess I'll see once it starts warming up. The wife and I are talking about putting on a garage addition (since I have no garage) and might be tied up.

'JustDreamin'

Quick Reply: 1st gen with ls1 (power steering hose)