Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 into 1965 car

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 04:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 into 1965 car

i have a 1965 ford fairlane 500 sports coupe, and im putting an ls1/m6 in it, but i have no idea on how to make it work, do i convert it to carb. and will it run that way? i know if i keep it fuel injected i got to have some special wiring harnesses or something, is this correct? any information will help me a ton because im not very educated on this subject but i want it done, i appreciate all comments
Old 03-14-2007, 08:00 PM
TECH Resident

Well, you've got a couple of choices......

1.) Keep it injected. Have to mess around with a harness of some form or another, depending upon which donor vehicle / engine and whether you buy a Junkyard harness or an aftermarket one.

2.) Go carb'd. Here, the fuel portion is pretty easy. Buy a carb and an intake, slap them on and do some tuning. HOWEVER, you still have to figure out the ignition. There is NO provision for a distributor on the LS1, which means you also need an aftermarket ignition controller to fire the factory coils.

I think option 1. is probably less expensive. I haven't priced all the pieces, but with a fresh carb, intake, and ignition system, you're spending a fair bit of money for pieces that the motor will likely already come with. Having a PCM reprogrammed isn't all that expensive (to delete emissions functions, alter timing, whatever). Modifying a harness can be as cheap as free to as expensive as you want to spend (if you have a completely custom all new harness built).

I'd suggest you do some serious reading on here. There is an absolute treasure trove of knowledge right here in the conversions & hybrids forum.

'JustDreamin'
Old 03-14-2007, 09:15 PM
Staging Lane

hey thanks for you input
Old 03-14-2007, 09:35 PM
Teching In

fool injected all the way! theres tons of info on this site from others swapping these motors into that era car... rework (or get it reworked) the stock harness and it'll run like it came off the lot yesterday!
Old 03-14-2007, 09:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with stay injected, but you can buy a new timing cover that uses a conventional type distributor now too FYI
Old 03-14-2007, 09:49 PM
Staging Lane

I wouldn't say EFI is necessarily cheaper - but it really comes down to what you know and are able to do yourself. There is more than wiring to get EFI to work with an old conversion. There is programming of the computer, relays, sensors and all kinds of possible issues can arise ... but if you can do it or want to pay someone to tune it for you, then that's great.

(By the way, just so you know, I believe there are 2 companies that can provide a distributor setup for the LS1 motors - GM being one) For a carb setup, you can buy an aftermarket module to control the coil packs from MSD or buy an Edelbrock intake/module controller package for around 700 bucks. Of course, you still have to buy a carb.

So, depending on where your knowledge and experience lies will affect your decision. There are issues, plusses and minuses of both setups in my opinion.

For mounting, check out ebay with a search for LS1 mounts - there is a company in the Monee, IL area I believe that sells LS1 mounts that will accept a small block chevy motor mount for a direct bolt into 60's cars - however, as you have a ford, you will probably have to modify your frame mount and may need to consider a motor plate of some kind. But the LS1 plates may help you out and they're around $45 shipped. The trans crossmember will be another item to address - as will headers and oil pan potential fitment issues. But you won't know until you get started! Good luck.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:30 AM
Staging Lane

i dont think i have the knowledge to know what to buy for fuel injected, i know how to swap any carb. engine into any car so that might be the best route for me, what do u think?
Old 03-15-2007, 12:33 AM
Staging Lane

if i convert it to carb. i wont need the computer or any wiring right?
Old 03-15-2007, 06:43 AM
TECH Resident

Hadn't seen that there are distributor setups are available now....Good to know....

Well, you still need some wiring with a carb setup.....
Still need wiring for ignition, alternator, starter / solenoid, maybe electric choke on the carb.

And you're going to need to either run electric fans (and the associated wiring & relays) or a truck water pump (which has a provision for a mechanical fan for cooling but won't work with f-body or vette accessories). LS1 water pumps don't have a provision for mounting a cooling fan.

So, there is some wiring you've got to do.

'JustDreamin'
Old 03-15-2007, 08:22 AM
Staging Lane

You won't need the computer or harness. Just normal wiring.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:11 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah, just normal wiring....Sorry my post wasn't all that clear.....

The difference between normal wiring and the PCM and its associated wiring is quantity. PCM wiring isn't rocket science, there's just a fair number more wires.

'JustDreamin'
Old 03-15-2007, 09:53 AM
Staging Lane

That's a wild swap you got there, dreamin. Neat
Old 03-15-2007, 12:24 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 62ls1
That's a wild swap you got there, dreamin. Neat
Thanks....She's alot more fun to drive than the old V6 ever was!

Just need to work some of the little bugs out (like a bigger trans cooler, fresh front diff, front driveshaft, and an AC compressor) and then work on some of the other details I've got planned for it (gear ratio change, 18" C5 Wagons w/275 40 / 18's, C5 front brakes / LS1 rears, 8.5" 10 bolt rear upgrade, etc....)

Sorry to hijack, back to regularly scheduled thread....

'JustDreamin'

Quick Reply: LS1 into 1965 car