Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Story of our LS1 swap into 67 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007 | 10:15 PM
TECH Resident

I have the same problem too!

Are these original sockets, or Autozone-quality replacements? I had the Autozone sockets on mine and they kept falling out. I ended up doing an LED conversion and eliminating the brake light sockets, but I still have problems with my non-RS backup lights falling out (not nearly as often as the brake lights did though).

I've heard that American Autowire sells factory-correct/quality sockets that don't have the falling-out problem. AAW is pretty active over on Team Camaro.
Old 08-10-2007 | 12:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast
15 Year Member

Default ls1 swap

WOW! what persistance! i read thru all of the article, good job! I am awaiting to do a similar swap in my 69 Bird- ta clone ,if i ever get it back from my bodyman(over 2 yrs now) was going to do ls1 auto now got the bug for a 6 speed - been looking for a LS2 6 speed in a GTO , no luck yet. just wanted to say congrats on a job well done!!
Old 08-12-2007 | 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Okay, I have uploaded more info at the FileFront site. IndyJC, you will find the wiring pics there as a zip file. For anyone interested, the site is:
http://hosted.filefront.com/67rsss/
The three files there (right now) are-
67RSSS_2.doc
...this is a word doc that has the headlight drawings and fluid drawings in it.
Wiring_LS1.zip
...this is 18 pictures of the wiring in the engine bay, annotated
LS1_Swap_for_web.xls
...this is an excell spreadsheet of our costs
Old 08-12-2007 | 01:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

That's awesome that you've taken the time to detail the swap in the manor you did. This has already proven to be a great technical resource for my swap. I'm sure it will continue to be as I progress.
Old 08-24-2007 | 03:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Got an observance/question. Every once is a while, the trans will pop out of reverse. No other complaints on the trans, just once in a while when you go to reverse it grinds and then pops back into nuetral. Doesn't happen often enought o really have noticed a pattern to it happening. Just wondered if anyone else has had this problem, or if it is a fluke.
Old 08-24-2007 | 03:59 PM
11 Second Club

Never heard this problem with reverse. But is quite common for 3rd and sometimes 4th. Typically from bent shift fork or busted shift fork pads.
Old 08-24-2007 | 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not having any problems at all with any forward gears. I am concerned about the McLeod shifter relocator though. I had to grind a lot off the things just to get it to go into reverse. The design is so bad, it hits itself. I would reccomend against buying them until McLeod can get around to fixing the design. Going to have to pull hte console off and see what it is looking like near that bolt....

You get a chance to work on your Camaro lately????

Last edited by 67rsss; 08-24-2007 at 04:11 PM.
Old 08-24-2007 | 05:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

KUDOS, absolutley unbelievable documentary.

SO So sorry to hear about CoCo, we have a German Shepherd with Epilepsy and it is controlled with a cocktail of 2 meds.

You mentioned CPP early on, who is that?

Best of luck-
John
Old 08-24-2007 | 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Classic Performance Products http://www.classicperform.com/

Their steel mount adapters for LS1 into small block ar CPLS1K and run $69.00 with mounts! Haven't tried them, but plan on trying them next time!

Sorry to hear about your having to deal with Epilepsy. hate to see it. We used a combo of Potassium Bromide and Phenobarbitol. Helped some, but had its own problems. The KBR really took the life out of her. I hope your Sheppard responds better to the meds.
Old 08-25-2007 | 05:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 67rsss
Classic Performance Products http://www.classicperform.com/

Their steel mount adapters for LS1 into small block ar CPLS1K and run $69.00 with mounts! Haven't tried them, but plan on trying them next time!

Sorry to hear about your having to deal with Epilepsy. hate to see it. We used a combo of Potassium Bromide and Phenobarbitol. Helped some, but had its own problems. The KBR really took the life out of her. I hope your Sheppard responds better to the meds.

Thanks for the info.

Yes, same exact meds used here. She responds well but seems to get that "drunkin" sailor walk when the bromide level is too high, sad to see.

Anyow, best of luck with the car.
John
Old 08-25-2007 | 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Car is cleaned up, off to Grossman Chevy for the All GM under the stars show!
She got an oil change this morning, and we have noted a slight weeping at the trans to bellhousing seal. Going to have to keep an eye on that.
Old 09-17-2007 | 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Reverse is gettinga little worse, it is going to have to come out this winter. Bummer. We have a hokey fix for the reverse lights. It involves a little wire, solder, and duct tape. We added ground wires to the ground prongs, and grounded them to the phollips head screws. Then we duct taped the damn light sockets in. Seems to work okay!
Old 09-17-2007 | 10:29 PM
Teching In

Check your linkage adjustment. Sometimes it will not let the gear fully engage and then allows the trans to pop out of gear &/or grind. May not be a transmission problem at all, simply the shifter/shifter adjustment.

We see it alot on last gen Camaros with aftermarket shifters.

Mark
Old 09-18-2007 | 09:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

C5Stein,
I don't recall anything adjustable in the shifter assembly. I will take a look, and everyone knows we are a bit unhappy with the McLeod shift adapter, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it also didn't engage reverse correctly....
Old 09-19-2007 | 01:18 AM
Teching In

I haven't seen the McCleod shifter, but the Hurst and others, have adjustable shift stops on the shifter themselves. Also some of the shifters have offset slugs that when installed incorrectly, the shifter ball, bottoms out before the gear is fully engaged.
Old 09-19-2007 | 06:50 AM
Teching In

Are there any car shows around this time of year that I could
see this beast at? I know Anoka has a show every Saturday
night 4:30 to ????????? but it may have ended for the year?
Any show plans before the snow flies?
Old 09-19-2007 | 08:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Boy did you miss a great show last Sunday at Blacksmith. We try to hit all of the cruise ins and shows with the Northstar Camaro Club, and made a few Hastings shows and CarCraft of course. We have hit a few of the Forest Lake cruise-ins as well. We would like to go to the Wyoming show on the 22cd, but she has to work that morning, so we most likely won't make that show. Where are you located? We could probably arrange for you to see the car easy enough. I will drop you a PM when we know for certain where we are taking the car.
Old 09-28-2007 | 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Got a question/observation....
Went to start the car today, and there was a loud electrical pop sound near the starter, and everything went dead. No blown fuses anywhere. After a few minutes (and lightly tapping the starter with a mallet), tried again and car started. We are thinking we should go ahead and change the starter, and have discovered taht they are hard to get and expensive to boot! Does this sound like a typical failure mode for the gen-III starter, or was it a fluke? Advice appreciated...
Old 09-28-2007 | 07:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hi 67 hows the cities for ya? You could bring the starter to napa or autozone and have them test it before proceeding further.
Old 09-29-2007 | 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

The nut on the ground strap to the solenoid had come loose.
Rather embarrasing... have a lock washer on it now.

Quick Reply: Story of our LS1 swap into 67 Camaro