Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS7 is alive

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008 | 09:52 PM
On The Tree

Thanks, I took my time and tried to not cut any corners. And, as long as I'm posting, here's the latest news... My car will be in an upcoming commercial for Optima Batteries. Here's the entire rundown of how it went:

Last week, I got a call from Cam Douglas at Optima Batteries wondering if I would like to have my car in a TV commercial. That was an easy decision, of course! The filming was going to happen at Union Grove, so I trailered my car there. I have no problem driving the car 600 miles round trip as I've put over 3500 miles on it in the last 8 weeks, but if something happened on the way there or at the track, I'd have been screwed, so I trailered it there.

I've been around my share of magazine photo shoots, but filming a TV production is totally different. There had to have been at least 30 people with different duties, and it was one of those hurry up and wait kind of deals. Optima had rented the Great Lakes Dragway from 1 to 5. I got there a bit early, unloaded, cleaned the bugs off the car, torqued the lug nuts, etc.

The whole premise of the shot was my car doing a burnout, stage, and launch - all in 5 seconds or less. Now there's no way that can be done using a typical water box, staging lights, etc. So we had a person from the track manually running the tree with the staging lights already blocked so they were on. I'd start my burnout in the staging area, run it until I got decent smoke, lift, roll ahead 4 feet and 'hit my mark', the track guy would trigger the tree, and I'd launch, running the car WOT through 1st and 2nd.

I had a two radio in my car and the Director would yell all that typical Hollywood stuff; ready, positions, video, and... action. It was really odd, I've never done a burnout on an 'action' command. I would do all the predescribed actions while hitting my marks, then stop at about the eighth mile and back down the staging area again. In all, I'm guessing I did that about ten times.

The filming was being done from inside the box of a Toyota truck, with him in the left lane and me in the right. The truck would launch the same time I would, so the camera's perspective would follow the car. For two of the takes, the Director wanted me to equal the acceleration of the Toyota truck. Sure, no problem. Well, easier said than done. I was so focused on the steps, hitting my marks, launching with the tree, I totally forgot that I was supposed to lose. lol That's REALLY hard to do!

Optima had loaned me a really nice Sparco racing suit, but it was black. Between the black suit, black gloves, and helmet, that hour or so of sitting in the car got pretty hot! I was required to wear all the safety gear since this will be seen on TV. You know, professional driver, closed course stuff they have on commercials. From the angle they were shooting, I doubt anyone will even be able to see me anyways.

I didn't know it at the time, but there was a test and tune at the track starting at 5. As we were wrapping up, the locals had have been wondering WTH I was doing, going down the track and backing back up again.

I know I used up a bit of the Nitto DR's, but I learned what they like and got a pretty good idea on what the car wants for a good launch. I was leaving at about 3000 with a quick clutch release. It was spinning pretty good in the top of 1st and into 2nd. Unfortunately, I was never able to make a full pass with timing lights. I'll try to get to my local track sometime this month.

Cam thought the TV commercial would hit the air in about 90 days as they have post production, corporate reviews, and distribution to work through. I'll get a copy, so I'll post it once I have it. As for the commercial itself, it takes place from the perspective of a truck, first driving through a marina, through some tuner crowd, past some mud trucks doing their thing, then closing with my launch at the track. So ultimately, it will probably be all of 5 or 6 seconds of my car.

In the end, it was something really cool to be a part of. It was a bit of a tow, but it was a really fun experience. It's pretty high exposure, Cam said this commercial will be distributed to all their global markets.

Ready to get started.

What a cool view, the whole track all to myself.

Figuring out what angles to use, where our marks would be, etc.

Rigging the camera. I forgot to ask if they were filming in HD, but I suspect they were.

ALL of these people were involved with the filming.

I was getting pretty warm in the car with all the black gear.

The bean bags were the marks for the truck. They even had that little railroad track deal setup on the ground behind it for a different camera angle.

Who needs a waterbox. lol

Action! I'm really catching on to the Hollywood jargon.

7000 in 1st gear comes quick. I hit the rev limiter a couple of times.

Old 07-10-2008 | 09:58 PM
10 Second Club

Scott, it sounds awesome and looks great. It looks so good sitting in the driveway, nice picture! I wish it were sitting in my driveway.

This thread really makes me want to start a 69 camaro project. I have always wanted one since back in the day, my uncle had a nice 68 that was maroon. It had a built 327 in it. He would come pick us up from the skating rink all have buzzed and all the other kids waiting on there ride would say.... hey, let's see some smoke. He would burn the tires all the way down the road leaving there!

When I saved up the money to buy my camaro I have now, I was looking for a 69 camaro at first. And then a buddy of mine got me to look at the newer 4th gen camaro's for there power and gas mileage, on top of having a/c to boot. So I found and bought the 2000 ss I have now. Which I really love having, and enjoyed modding over the last 5 years. But now I feel the need to sell it and start on another project vehicle. I find myself once again wanting a 69 camaro. Or possibly a c6 vette.

I want to build a 69 pro touring camaro with a LS based engine, to make a real nice driver. Or a C6 and put a cam and pro charger on it. But I know it will not hold the value like the camaro will. They are timeless automobiles, that will never go down in price or value.

I will always have this thread lock in my subscription for future reference for when the time comes for me to build my dream machine 69 camaro like you have here!

You have done one hell of a job on this car Scott. And I believe it would be priceless to me. Enjoy it well!!
Old 07-10-2008 | 10:06 PM
10 Second Club

WOW! the commercial sounds pretty cool to! Can't wait to see it. Congrats.
Old 07-11-2008 | 12:30 AM
On The Tree

Scott,

Car looks awesome and deserves to be on TV . Congrats!
Old 07-11-2008 | 08:11 PM
On The Tree

Thanks guys!
Old 07-11-2008 | 08:15 PM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

Nice! I've gone down that track many times. DaGrove baby...LOL

Andrew
Old 07-15-2008 | 03:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Now that your a star can I get your autograph?

The car look great. Like others I have followed along during your build. Congrats.

RGJ
Old 07-15-2008 | 08:58 PM
Teching In

I'm late to this thread, but that is one of the nicest cars I've ever seen in my life
Old 07-16-2008 | 09:40 AM
On The Tree

Thanks guys, I appreciate the kind words.

Maybe I'll post some video from the Optima Batteries filming once I get it.
Old 07-20-2008 | 11:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Scott,

Who'd fuel tank/pump/system are you running? I looked over the info you have on line and didn't see anything, (may have missed it however).

LSX
Old 07-20-2008 | 06:18 PM
On The Tree

Amazing car. The best part is that you're not afraid to beat on it alittle bit. Drive it like you stole it.
Old 07-20-2008 | 09:30 PM
On The Tree

Thanks again, guys.

Originally Posted by OneQuickCoupe
Scott,

Who'd fuel tank/pump/system are you running? I looked over the info you have on line and didn't see anything, (may have missed it however).

LSX
The tank is a custom stainless steel tank from Rick's Hot Rod Shop with an in-tank mounted Walbro 255. The regulator is an Aeromotive 13101 mounted right in front of the tank as it's a dead-headed fuel system using the factory fuel rails.
Old 07-21-2008 | 06:39 AM
Launching!

Well how does it run? have you been down the 1/4 yet?
Old 07-21-2008 | 07:31 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bada
Well how does it run? have you been down the 1/4 yet?
It runs awesome, I couldn't be happier with it. Haven't run it on the track yet, my local track was flooded last month (those on the Power Tour will remember all the rain). When I had it at Union Grove, we weren't using the lights and I never made a full pass.
Old 07-21-2008 | 08:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

That's awesome!
Old 07-21-2008 | 05:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by XcYZb
Thanks again, guys.

The tank is a custom stainless steel tank from Rick's Hot Rod Shop with an in-tank mounted Walbro 255. The regulator is an Aeromotive 13101 mounted right in front of the tank as it's a dead-headed fuel system using the factory fuel rails.
Scott, Thanks for clearing that up for me. I called them about a tank, pump and regular as well. I'm using the stock LS-7 intake, rails, injectors and DBW TB like you are.

LSX
Old 07-21-2008 | 11:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Awesome!
Old 07-27-2008 | 12:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by XcYZb
Thanks guys, I appreciate the kind words.

Maybe I'll post some video from the Optima Batteries filming once I get it.
Scott,

Have you received the video yet?

LSX

Last edited by OneQuickCoupe; 07-28-2008 at 08:47 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-27-2008 | 12:21 PM
TECH Senior Member
10 Year Member20 Year Member

Awesome Scott and congrats on the commercial.

Time for you to get the Nitrous stuff hooked up and tuned! Take care!

-Gray
Old 07-28-2008 | 08:25 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by OneQuickCoupe
Scott,

I you received the video yet?

LSX
No, not yet. Not sure when, I'm guessing this fall at best.

Originally Posted by BigBronco
Awesome Scott and congrats on the commercial.

Time for you to get the Nitrous stuff hooked up and tuned! Take care!

-Gray
Thanks Gray.

Quick Reply: LS7 is alive