Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The G-Body Swap Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 10:30 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright gbody fella's I need your help !! My swap is a 05 LQ4 going carb .. I have a turbo 400 trans.. I want to use my stock crossmember and drive shaft that I had made for the turbo 400 trans.. Also want to use clam shell mounts.. What motor plates should I use.. Also want to buy heddman LS long tube headers.. I'm using truck pulley's. No power steering. I have manual box , no a/c .. Guessing that I use 1'' setback plates ??? GM Muscle car pan kit or CTS-V pan.. My car sits low in the front with cut trick springs .. Thanks for your help !!!
Old 04-10-2012, 11:01 AM
Teching In

I don't I'll have any issues with my heater box and # 8 coil ??? Name:  002.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  201.6 KB
Name:  001.jpg
Views: 700
Size:  201.5 KB
Old 04-10-2012, 06:49 PM
Teching In

No gbody guy's on line today ??
Old 04-11-2012, 11:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone abandon their swap or have parts laying around for sale that they dont need?

Any trans crossmembers for sale- I have 4l60e

CTSV oil pan?

Fbody LT headers?

Looking for any of the following before I go and buy new or check the for sell section.

Going with carshopinc 1in back plates BTW.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What heater box is that above?
Old 04-12-2012, 02:42 AM
Launching!

They are local to me but i decided to go the factory route.. Here's the link:
http://acdelete.com/pages/78-88_G-Body.htm
Wonder what the #8 coil clearance using their kit vs compared to a factory non a/c box??
Old 04-12-2012, 02:54 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 86monte
Alright gbody fella's I need your help !! My swap is a 05 LQ4 going carb .. I have a turbo 400 trans.. I want to use my stock crossmember and drive shaft that I had made for the turbo 400 trans.. Also want to use clam shell mounts.. What motor plates should I use.. Also want to buy heddman LS long tube headers.. I'm using truck pulley's. No power steering. I have manual box , no a/c .. Guessing that I use 1'' setback plates ??? GM Muscle car pan kit or CTS-V pan.. My car sits low in the front with cut trick springs .. Thanks for your help !!!

I used the 4595 transdapt plates and CTS-V oil pan with great clearance BUT the factory F body alternator hit the factory clamshells with the plates , i solved that issue using the speedway motors high mount alt kit. Haven't verified it's usefulness yet .. But my 4l65e did hit the floorboard and the power steering lines need mods. I'm not using a/c yet and am using a g body non a/c box. I am also sticking with the factory 99 LS1 exhaust manifold and cats cuz i have to pass a a visual and smog inspection..
Old 04-12-2012, 08:19 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 85GPLEf41
They are local to me but i decided to go the factory route.. Here's the link:
http://acdelete.com/pages/78-88_G-Body.htm
Wonder what the #8 coil clearance using their kit vs compared to a factory non a/c box??
That's it !! When I install my motor we will find out about any clearance issue with this box ....lol...
Old 04-12-2012, 08:25 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 85GPLEf41
I used the 4595 transdapt plates and CTS-V oil pan with great clearance BUT the factory F body alternator hit the factory clamshells with the plates , i solved that issue using the speedway motors high mount alt kit. Haven't verified it's usefulness yet .. But my 4l65e did hit the floorboard and the power steering lines need mods. I'm not using a/c yet and am using a g body non a/c box. I am also sticking with the factory 99 LS1 exhaust manifold and cats cuz i have to pass a a visual and smog inspection..
Thanks for your input !!! Trying to purchase the right parts the first time...
Old 04-12-2012, 10:34 AM
Banned

Level 2 4L60E/4L65E
(FREE CONVERTER AND SHIPPING)
Installation and extended warranties available

Features
•Level 2 4L60E/4L65E
•(FREE CONVERTER AND SHIPPING)
•Installtion and extended warranties available
•All Mad Dog Transmissions are completely rebuilt and come with a Master Overhaul Kit which includes:
•-all new lip seals
•-all new gaskets
•-all new Teflon rings
•-new filter
•-all new steels
•-all new bushings
•-all new Raybestos clutch discs
•-all new sprags
•The Level 2 4L60E/4L65E comes with a new force motor, new shift solenoids, new 3/2 downshift solenoid, new TCC solenoids, new pressure manifold and a special Sonnax valve that is specifically made for the GM code 1870, which is very common on these particular units.
•This Level 2 transmission comes with an Mad Dog Reprogramming update kit, Outlaw shift kit, and Raybestos 9 clutches (replaces factory 5 clutches in the 3-4 drum) the 9 clutch pack also has specialized heat treated steels that can withstand much more abuse, all Raybestos high temp high energy clutches throughout the rest of the unit, all new steels, band, bushings, and rings. A 500 boost valve, 13 vane pump rotor. We also use 4140 hardened pump rings, TEFLON pump bushing, a 29 element sprag, over-sized hardened sun gear shell (which is three times thicker than factory), hardened input shaft and drum, 4 pinion planetary gear (which has also been cold-freezed to withstand big horsepower and torque), high-temp Pro-series, Kevlar band and a Billet servo ( the Billet servo has 30% more holding power, to give you that full throttle shift without burning up the band. For full competition use only). However, I highly recommend running a Corvette servo if your going to drive the vehicle every day.
•We discard the oem factory, plastic accumulators and run Sonnax aluminum accumulators to ensure a quality shift every time.
•This transmission can also be setup for pulling and towing (no extra charge).
•NOTE: Let us know what type of shift you want. We can custom build each valve body for your application.
•-Stage 1 is a factory shift.
•-Stage 2 has a nice crisp shift and at wide open throttle it will put you in your seat.
•-Stage 3 is for that Saturday night special. Be warned stage 3 shift is very violent!
•“NECK BRACE NOT INCLUDED !!!” If YOU’VE got THE HORSEPOWER we have the transmission. LEVEL 2!
•If you send/bring me your core in good, rebuildable condition, your price will receive a $100.00 core refund.
•***Note: If application of vehicle has a 4.8L, 5.3L, 5.7L, 6.0L, 7.0L engine (any 1998 application and newer LS1, LS2, LS3, LS7, LQ4), If the customer’s core is returned in a condition that it can be rebuilt (no cracks and within 15 days), a refund will be processed to the customer.
•Installations are available on all our transmissions.
•These transmissions are a direct replacement for your GM vehicle. No modifications or custom tuning necessary.
•If you are looking for an overdrive transmission for your old school vehicle, we can do the complete installation or send you our conversion kit.
•Extended warranties are available on all our transmissions.

Please contact me for a professional consultation regarding your needs. We are happy to provide you with references both here in the United States and Internationally. Be sure to check out our website at maddogtransmissions.com

Hear what our customers and fans say on our Facebook Page at www.facebook.com/maddogtransmissions

We also accept orders over the phone. Be sure to contact us and we will recommend the correct transmission for your application. For your convenience, we accept PayPal and all major credit and debit cards.

If you prefer, we can call you personally, just e-mail us your phone number.

All our transmissions are very strong and reliable, and can be used for everyday driving. Extended warranties are also available.

Thank You,
"Mad Dog" Lou

Mad Dog Transmissions
Phone 770-781-0949
Fax 770-781-0969

Web: www.maddogtransmissions.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/maddogtransmissions
Twitter: www.twitter.com/maddoglou
YouTube: www.youtube.com/maddogtransmissions
Old 04-13-2012, 12:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That heater box is really nice, much better looking than the factory non-AC box too and less crap. I think I may go that route while I get the rest of the car wrapped up and until I have enough time to get the AC done
Old 04-13-2012, 03:51 AM
Launching!

I went with non a/c factory box because of "bolt in" factor... But a g gody non a/c Pontiac Grand Prix system is virtually non existent... Either way it gave me better clearance then the a/c system. But i want to get a/c in the future.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Trying to get my fuel system blue printed so I can start ordering some parts.

================================================== =======

Fuel tank

I know most people use 4.3l tank from a monte or GN tanks etc, usually Spectra brand.

Over $200 for the Spectra and Dorman brand tanks @O'Reilys & Autozone

Napa has them for slightly cheaper.

So will avoid them.

Been looking at these via Ebay

$129.95 + Free shipping
http://www.ebay.com/itm/84-87-Buick-...af88e9&vxp=mtr

$148.90 + Free shipping
http://www.ebay.com/itm/84-87-Buick-...265e7b&vxp=mtr

Spectra brand tanks are little cheaper on ebay with free shipping usually too. Whats the part# for the Spectra with baffles?

Sending unit

1987 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
Napa
Part# STP FG08A
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...RecType%3aA%29

Has Feed line/Vent line/Return line

What are you guys doing with the vent line?

Should look like this correct? Ghetto blueprints

Fuel Pump

Looking for something under $60. Got a few in mind but haven't decided.

Using truck intake, so looking for return less truck rails and use vette regulator/filter. For now I want to run with rubber fuel lines from tank to regulator and from from there to intake. Trash the factory fuel lines.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:17 PM
Teching In

I just ordered a spectra gm307c tank from rock auto. Should be a bolt in from a gn. I'll update again when I get it.
Total cost was a little over $150. By far the best price I've found.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just ordered Spectra tank from rock auto as well.

Bought Spectra sending unit from amazon cause it was cheaper on there with free shipping.

Should I purchase the Walbro 255 pump/Pump harness/Pump installation kit from Racetronix?? I think its like $150 before shipping for everything.

Or go with the areomotive 340 pump, and their pump harness.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BOXCHEV
Just ordered Spectra tank from rock auto as well.

Bought Spectra sending unit from amazon cause it was cheaper on there with free shipping.

Should I purchase the Walbro 255 pump/Pump harness/Pump installation kit from Racetronix?? I think its like $150 before shipping for everything.

Or go with the areomotive 340 pump, and their pump harness.
Racetronix sells sending units complete with pumps already installed for like 189 bucks. My buddy just picked one up and it looks much better than my spectra. All stainless construction and the wiring is a heavier gauge.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah I literally just seen that on their site. Might have to cancel that amazon order.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BOXCHEV
Trying to get my fuel system blue printed so I can start ordering some parts.

Fuel tank

I know most people use 4.3l tank from a monte or GN tanks etc, usually Spectra brand.

Over $200 for the Spectra and Dorman brand tanks @O'Reilys & Autozone

Napa has them for slightly cheaper.

So will avoid them.

Been looking at these via Ebay

$129.95 + Free shipping
http://www.ebay.com/itm/84-87-Buick-...af88e9&vxp=mtr

$148.90 + Free shipping
http://www.ebay.com/itm/84-87-Buick-...265e7b&vxp=mtr

Spectra brand tanks are little cheaper on ebay with free shipping usually too. Whats the part# for the Spectra with baffles?

Sending unit

1987 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
Napa
Part# STP FG08A
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...RecType%3aA%29

Has Feed line/Vent line/Return line

What are you guys doing with the vent line?

Should look like this correct? Ghetto blueprints

Fuel Pump

Looking for something under $60. Got a few in mind but haven't decided.

Using truck intake, so looking for return less truck rails and use vette regulator/filter. For now I want to run with rubber fuel lines from tank to regulator and from from there to intake. Trash the factory fuel lines.
Can anyone confirm this on the fuel lines plumbing? I'm in the same boat.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bigmandengo
Racetronix sells sending units complete with pumps already installed for like 189 bucks. My buddy just picked one up and it looks much better than my spectra. All stainless construction and the wiring is a heavier gauge.
Wonder if that kit would fit a 4.3 tank from a 86 caprice, with no mods? should be about the same tank correct?
Old 04-15-2012, 02:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by greenturtle05
Wonder if that kit would fit a 4.3 tank from a 86 caprice, with no mods? should be about the same tank correct?
Definitely not the same tank. Cant say if it would fit or not though. Would probably need to be modded.

Quick Reply: The G-Body Swap Thread