Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The G-Body Swap Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 11:04 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have this p-coated black w/ some LED's for the turn signals. I currently have some autometer gauges installed for my old setup (speedo, suel, and tach) so I will need to replace the speedo and tach to match my LY6 swap. I got the plate off someone at montecarloss.com. I have no idea if he is selling these anymore?

I also have the t-top and pillar gauge pods for air/fuel, trans temp, volts, etc. I'll try and get some pics when I can.

found another vendor while looking for the original....

http://custommontessparts.com/gaugesshadow_box_156-167
Old 04-30-2012, 11:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Why do you have to use something on the Tach? I have not heard that.

As for the speedo, if you are clever you can use the electronic head from an 80s firebirt/trans am, on the Monte faceplate & either have it recalibrated, or make a new face decal for it. It can be a PITA, but will work.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by BOXCHEV
I went through this whole thread again, so I missed it or there isn't much talk about gauges.

To run factory speed/Rpm gauge you need some B.S. that cost like $400 correct?

Then depending on which Auto Meter guages your taste buds quench for that's $400-$700 for all the main gauges you need- Fuel/Volts/Temp/Oil/Speed/RPM. Which should all be the electric gauges.

Then you got Dakota Digital. Right now they have two options for Gbody.

There first gauge cluster.

Now they also offer this one.

What is everyone doing? Can you post up pics if possible.

If I go with Auto Meter I'm trying to work up some nice ideas to incorporate turn signals, high beam, gear shift indicator to make it look somewhat custom/still factory looking then the normal slapped in gauges with two light in there for turn signal. Ya know that somewhat street car/track car look.
This is another question I had. I know I need to swap the tailhousing on the tranny to eliminate the speedo wire if I want to run the DD gauges but I am not sure if the cost is worth it. I am thinking about just getting one of the shadow boxes from custommonteparts(I think thats their name).

Dirte
Old 05-02-2012, 08:08 AM
Teching In

Hey fellas, I've read through quite a bit of this thread all ready but not all of it. What are yall using for traction bars or similar. Also on this gauge deal is there no way to just wire up stock and use it even though it looks like complete a$$ in my opinion. I was thinking of just buying the aftermarket gauges and running them after making a plate to fit in the dash to hold them. Thanks
Old 05-11-2012, 09:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Think I found a 5.3l

Anyone have an extra un cut harness and computer laying around? For a 4l60e

DBC throttle
Old 05-14-2012, 09:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So tonight & put the Paceheader headers on to see how they fit. The driver's side fit without interference with anything, I'm not a fan of the kickout bend of the header, and I cannot get my finger between the oil filter & the header. Everybody have that issue on the driver's side? I have the Mast oil pan.

Passenger side hits the frame, so gotta do some modifications there. Either notch the frame, or modify the header itself. Thinking I may cut the tubes off the flange and weld back on at a small angle to pull the tube away from the frame.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Post pics with whatever you do. I might modify the headers cause I dont want to bang on them.

I'm not feeling the kickout bend as well with mine.

Will be using Carshop 1in setback with mine.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by samckitt
So tonight & put the Paceheader headers on to see how they fit. The driver's side fit without interference with anything, I'm not a fan of the kickout bend of the header, and I cannot get my finger between the oil filter & the header. Everybody have that issue on the driver's side? I have the Mast oil pan.

Passenger side hits the frame, so gotta do some modifications there. Either notch the frame, or modify the header itself. Thinking I may cut the tubes off the flange and weld back on at a small angle to pull the tube away from the frame.
Thats basically the way i did it, except I didnt cut the tubes all the way off. I went out from the flange about 3/4" and cut about 3/4 of the way through with a cut off wheel from the bottom up. Held the headers away from the frame and welded them back up. They clear great and no dented tubes!
Old 05-15-2012, 08:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

New plan, gonna heat the tubes where they bend downward & see if I can bend them a degree or two. That should give me clearance at the frame.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

OK so the passenger side header, I cut 80% through the tubes from the underside, right where it meets the flange, then push it down to get it some clearance between the tube & the frame. Worked good, haven't welded back together yet.

Anyone on here using the GMPP LSx controller kit/harness? Where/how did you mount the fuse block & computer?
Old 05-25-2012, 02:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Post pics if you can of where you cut and where it hits the frame.
Old 05-26-2012, 01:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just remembered, so here is tome quick pics. This is not a definite final spot of the motor, I still doesn't have the trans in, so not sure the angle of the engine. But it is close & definitely have clearance between the frame & headers.

Name:  P5260471.jpg
Views: 726
Size:  662.7 KB

Name:  P5260470.jpg
Views: 736
Size:  822.6 KB

Name:  P5260469.jpg
Views: 718
Size:  528.0 KB

Cut the bottom of the headers like this, on the bottom side of the tube, it is cut about double the width of the cutting wheel, less than 1/8".

Name:  P5260473.jpg
Views: 700
Size:  840.7 KB

Name:  P5260474.jpg
Views: 757
Size:  746.4 KB

Name:  P5260472.jpg
Views: 743
Size:  684.9 KB
Old 05-26-2012, 02:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Great pics thanks.

So once you cut through the tubes there just grab them from the bottom side and pull away from the frame?

Think this would work with the driver side with the way they flare out to the side a bit?
Old 05-26-2012, 02:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Won't work for the kickout on the driver's side. I'll take some pics of it so you see the difference. It's gonna be a PITA. Isaw a post somewhere where someone heated them and bent them. I'm going to try that.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:05 PM
Teching In

has anybody had to take their cars through emissions testing with the lsx swaps or does everybody have their car tagged classic? i was just debating on doing a cam with mine after i get it tagged and i wanted to know how these engine do with exhaust emissions tests
Old 05-28-2012, 02:32 PM
Teching In

Default Regal LS1

Just a couple pictures of the finished product. also want to give a special thanks to "Shop Customs" and the amount of time and hard work put into getting the job done right.

let me know what you guys think
Attached Thumbnails The G-Body Swap Thread-phot.jpg   The G-Body Swap Thread-photo.jpg   The G-Body Swap Thread-regall.jpg  
Old 05-28-2012, 10:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just spent hours carefully removing all the wires listed on lt1swap.com from the BLUE connector. I carefully removed all of them and labeled them to what they went to and what pin# for whatever "just in case" situations.

Went onto the RED connector and there were quite a few wires listed to remove that had to do with A/C stuff.

Pin# 17 (A/C Request Signal)
Pin# 33 (HVAC Recirculation Door Control "Keep pin here for fan relay control")
Pin# 43 (A/C Clutch Relay Control)
Pin# 55 (A/C Low Pressure Switch Signal)

I plan on keeping A/C, do I still remove any of these? Or will the trucks original A/C compressor even work with my car? I plan to notch the frame and keep A/C down low if possible. Not sure though as I haven't test fit the motor yet.

I'm using orginal SBC mounts with 1in setback plates and all truck brackets.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:34 PM
TECH Resident

What mounts and pan did you use on the regal? What trans?
Old 05-29-2012, 03:29 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 6togo
What mounts and pan did you use on the regal? What trans?
1in set back , clam shell mounts, camaro pan had to notch frame, 4L60E trans
Old 05-30-2012, 03:23 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mikeselky85
has anybody had to take their cars through emissions testing with the lsx swaps or does everybody have their car tagged classic? i was just debating on doing a cam with mine after i get it tagged and i wanted to know how these engine do with exhaust emissions tests
I am trying to do my swap done using 99 TA LS1 engine and plan on keeping keeping all my exhaust and emissions components. once it passes i'm going to start modding it There is a youtube video that has a guy who did it in smog **** state Cali... Colorado seems to just follow their "rules"... here is the link and i am pretty much trying to duplicate his build Good job BTW..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWZDfGQRMWY

Quick Reply: The G-Body Swap Thread