Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The G-Body Swap Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 07:14 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would like to do a mild cam and some head work to mine but they do emissions testing every time your tags expire in delaware so i would go through frequently...i need to post some pictures of my swap in my 85ss el camino since its almost done, i made all my mounts from scratch and used a 6.0 with ls1 intake and ctsv serpentine.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:22 AM
Launching!

i also have to get my ride smogged every two years or until collector plates are reinstated.. I first need to take it to the referee to get the approval sticker then the smog station.. I plan on doing mild upgrades as well.. oh btw pics are always nice.

Last edited by 85GPLEf41; 05-31-2012 at 02:22 AM. Reason: spell check
Old 05-31-2012, 10:38 AM
Teching In

I have finished the "bible" as someone posted.

Unless I missed it...(took 3 days to read it), I never saw an answer to these. I saw people ask, I saw people reply but none confimred.

I am going with a LS1 drop out from a 1998 Z-28.

1) What engine mounts? I want A/C I dont want to mod the case or box. AND id like to leave the a/c compressor on it low.

2) Will the stock manifolds fit? I am not running cats!

3) I am buying a CTS-V oil pan, it will clear yes?

I am also, building a list of step by step for this swap. This way there would be another great thread with pictures!
Old 05-31-2012, 06:13 PM
On The Tree

I'm in delaware too. Sniff test shouldn't be a prob. I'm not sure if they expect to see evap canister or not though? If so I may temporarily install one.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:52 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by GP4U2NV
I have finished the "bible" as someone posted.

Unless I missed it...(took 3 days to read it), I never saw an answer to these. I saw people ask, I saw people reply but none confimred.

I am going with a LS1 drop out from a 1998 Z-28.

1) What engine mounts? I want A/C I dont want to mod the case or box. AND id like to leave the a/c compressor on it low.

2) Will the stock manifolds fit? I am not running cats!

3) I am buying a CTS-V oil pan, it will clear yes?

I am also, building a list of step by step for this swap. This way there would be another great thread with pictures!
1. I used the transdapt 4595 1in set back plates with my stock clamshells btw my GP came with a 305 V8.. I had to grind on the plates a little and add small washers to one plate so it could sit right... BRP maybe??
2. My stock ls1 manifolds clear good. haven't tried the trans linkage yet though.. as for the cats i have to run them, decided to use stock cats for now... If you don't need them then you should be good.
3. CTS-V oil pan fits great with those mounts!! BUT your a/c & alt won't... I used speedway motors high mount alt kit. There are a myriad of different routes to go. The kWiK performance brackets are a good option. Also i had coil interference with my non a/c heater case not sure if the a/c version does too though. I tried my block off plate and it had a PLENTY of clearance! We just notched the box for clearance...don't know if the BRP mounts work with the pan i would believe so..
plenty of pics on my Photobucket account..
http://s387.photobucket.com/profile/netochingon1
Old 06-04-2012, 01:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 85GPLEf41
3. CTS-V oil pan fits great with those mounts!! BUT your a/c & alt won't... I used speedway motors high mount alt kit. There are a myriad of different routes to go. The kWiK performance brackets are a good option. Also i had coil interference with my non a/c heater case not sure if the a/c version does too though. I tried my block off plate and it had a PLENTY of clearance! We just notched the box for clearance...don't know if the BRP mounts work with the pan i would believe so..
plenty of pics on my Photobucket account..
http://s387.photobucket.com/profile/netochingon1
''

I did read in this post that there are guys with the stock Zero offset and fitting the a/c and alternator.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:07 AM
Staging Lane

should be fun build
Old 06-05-2012, 03:12 AM
Launching!

''

I did read in this post that there are guys with the stock Zero offset and fitting the a/c and alternator.
yeah i thought about them AFTER i picked up the 4595 plates... Seemed like everybody did the 1in setback....I would think if i went with the truck or Vette accessories then i wouldn't have this issue.. I do believe that if i used the stock location plates then the CTS-V oil pan would be really close to the engine crossmember... With the 1in setback plates the oil pan clearance is great!! I bought my 99 Trans Am complete and wanted to make the best of it..
Old 06-06-2012, 10:44 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 85GPLEf41
yeah i thought about them AFTER i picked up the 4595 plates... Seemed like everybody did the 1in setback....I would think if i went with the truck or Vette accessories then i wouldn't have this issue.. I do believe that if i used the stock location plates then the CTS-V oil pan would be really close to the engine crossmember... With the 1in setback plates the oil pan clearance is great!! I bought my 99 Trans Am complete and wanted to make the best of it..
I guess, that I should really purchase the +1 / 0 / -1 plates that way I am not stuck.

Any advise on which and quality / cost?

Also, mine will be return-less fuel system. How much an line will I need to go from the tank to the engine?
Old 06-07-2012, 02:47 AM
Launching!

I guess, that I should really purchase the +1 / 0 / -1 plates that way I am not stuck.

Any advise on which and quality / cost?

Also, mine will be return-less fuel system. How much an line will I need to go from the tank to the engine?

I will say the transdapt 4595 plates and mounts are sorry... I used just the plates with my factory clamshells and frame mounts. Buy just the plates and mod them if necessary. As for the fuel line i have emissions to go through so that's a whole different story.. I am hoping to use a racetronix pump with a Corvette regulator. If it works then i will switch my fuel rail from drivers side to passenger side.. The Evap portion still has me puzzled...
Old 06-18-2012, 07:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Edit- Never mind.

Last edited by BOXCHEV; 06-20-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

For those that may be wondering what the pacesetter fbody headers look like on the engine. Will probably have pics of what they look like in the car this weekend maybe.

The kick out/flare out etc of the driver side. Depending on all the shifter linkage clearance I may heat this up and attempt to bend them inwards a little.

Rear shot

Name:  DSC01356.png
Views: 672
Size:  742.1 KB

Driver

Name:  DSC01360.png
Views: 673
Size:  737.4 KB

Passenger

Name:  DSC01358.png
Views: 705
Size:  735.1 KB
Old 06-21-2012, 06:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I gotta bend the headers too. Gave it a brief try one night, didn't have a long enough leverage arm so we quit trying. Haven't tried since. Definitely let us know how your progress goes.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think I want to run new hard stainless line, should I go with 3/8in hard line or 1/2in?

I want to braze fittings on the each end to run -8an I think from hard line to the rails. And -8an from rear of the hard line to the filter/regulator then -8an from feed of the tank to regulator and -6an from return of the tank to the return side of the regulator.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i searched this thread but couldnt really find what i was looking for so ill post a question here:

for you guys running a/c in you g-body, im looking to use the factory G-body HVAC system and either merge it with the f-body condenser/compressor or maybe the smaller sanden 508(mounted in the f-body bracket down low). has anyone done a similar setup or what did you use if you chose a different route?
Old 06-25-2012, 10:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^

Been wondering a little about A/C as well. I know a frame notch is pretty much necessary if you use adapter plates. And BRP I think no notching is needed.

I wonder how a custom bracket would do to push a Sanden compressor out further to line up with rest of the pulley's??

Like this

Or

With the factory truck bracket and compressor maybe even the car compressor & bracket, I think the end of the compressor/bracket hits the mounts with 1in setback plates (for those using that setup)

I would think a custom bracket like above but push it more forward so it's no longer running on its own belt if you use a new Sanden Compressor.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have the BRP mount kit - which is supposed to allow use of the a/c compressor in the factory LSx location... but guess what? it doesnt fit (atleast not with the lines bolted to the back of the F-body compressor). im gonna give them a call today and see what they say.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:10 AM
TECH Resident

I thought that S&P made a bracket kit to move the comp. forward to run on the main drive belt anyone using that or is that the one in the pic?
Old 06-26-2012, 08:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

For AC I am going to make a bracket similar to the KWIK setup to mount a Sanden compressor high on the passenger side. I have also seen one on the net that mounts in the same location but uses the compressor similar to the stock Monte SS.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:04 AM
Teching In

heres the 6.0 in my 85 el camino SS, forged internals, 4l80e, ctsv accessory drive, gm muscle car oil pan, bbk headers and custom motor mounts

Quick Reply: The G-Body Swap Thread