Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The G-Body Swap Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 02:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by deuce4935
Here's a g-body getting the LSx treatment with plenty of good pics and info regarding mounts, oil pan, and headers. https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...u-ls-swap.html
4th Gen Monte Carlos have the same setup as the earlier 3 rd Gen? And would it be better to buy q low mileage motor and just use that or buy w high mileage one and rebuild it? I figured if it was a low mileage one I could just Di a small cam upgrade.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by llorracs93s10
4th Gen Monte Carlos have the same setup as the earlier 3 rd Gen? And would it be better to buy q low mileage motor and just use that or buy w high mileage one and rebuild it? I figured if it was a low mileage one I could just Di a small cam upgrade.
Yeah the 4th & 3rd gen MC's use the same setup. If you find a decent low mileage motor then ****** it up and add a cam.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok so I got some more info on a motor I was looking at. HOpefully you guys can clear this for me since I am very confused with the throttle setups.

Its a 2003 fullsize van 6.0 with 30k. Its the motor, wiring computer and transmission for 1500. I am asking 1200 for it. I already talked to the guy and im hoping he will do 1200, that would be good for me and my brother to do 600 a piece to get it.

My question though is, I went on car-parts and it didnt give me a ''ly6, lq4, lq9'' ect engine code so I am alittle unsure what came in these trucks. I know its a 6.0 but im just interested in the details.

Now another question is, I know there are two different throttle types, the one is the dbw where you need the entire pedal assembly b/c its a sensored powered throttle correct? The other is the traditional cable correct? If so, which was this motor equiped with and what do you need to do to get them to work with the gbodys?

And lastly, being a 6.0, we want to do the car intake top end, what intake (thats not like a fast 90) where its expensive as hell, but a intake that will perform with these motors, and actually can be mounted to the 6.0 that will give power or atleast retain the power the truck intake came with? Im not worried about a aftermarket intake for the motor, just want it for looks right now since a intake is later down the road, so a stock lsx intake is fine for now. Thanks Justin.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For 1200 dollars that is a good deal.

if its a 03 6.0L that came out of a van its an Lq4 with a 4L80e transmission. with 30k on it as long as the oil changes were done it should look great internally.

I have a 04 lq4/4L80e that had 40k on it, i opened up the valve covers it looks almost new.

That 03 van motor is drive by Cable. You will need to get a new cable , I am going to use a Lokar cable, and I also have the Lokar 4L80e transmission dipstick.

I am running the Edelbrock Pro flo Xt intake which is very reasonable priced, and I had maybe an inch or so room left to spare on my GN.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:25 AM
TECH Regular

just pay the man, before someone else does. that's a really good deal.i don't have a problem with the truck intake. the alternator well that's a different story.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok, so I have gone through the entire thread here and on MCSS.com for this swap and I am trying to get all my ducks in line before anything. I have a buddy going to look at the lq4 6.0 from the 03 fullsize van. It will come with everything including engine/4l80e/comp and harness. So this is what I have gathered. Let me know if I have missinterrupted things so I can get things right before hand.

I called Current Performance who did my wiring and computer for my lt1 s10. He would build me a custome harness and reflash the computer. So thats good, since I plan to swap to a ls6 intake. SO things will lay correctly and plug and play. Now I know with going with teh ls6 intake you need to use the injectors and fuel rails as well. Is that it for the intake swap besides the front accessories modding?

On to the front accessories, I plan to keep all accessories including AC/PS so with saying that, If I do not go with a vette setup, KWPERF or however you spell it does the relocating the the accessories to allow the car intake to have no restrictions. My question is which ''bracket'' do I need from them for this? And also, with having PS what do I hve to do with clearing the steering box? Since I have read about clearance issues with the box. And If i needed to notch the frame on the passenger side, thats fine we did it for my s10.

NOw I have read both good and bad reviews with going with the pacesetter 98-02 LT headers...I cant justify dropping 700 dollars for headers right now but from what I read the pacesetters fit decent with the right mounts. ANd IIRC, its the stock clamshell mounts with the sbc->lsx adapter plates? If so which companys work best since I will be using all stock accessories upfront.

Cooling, I read that the champion all aluminum radiator is a decent radiator...I was thinking using that and ditching the cheap looking fans for 98-00 intrepid fans. Over on the s10forum they are popular and are said to have two styles, one which is a low/high 3000/3500cfm and the other is a low/high 3500/4000cfm puller fan setup with them built into a shroud already.

fuel tank I read that you want to get a ls 4.3 FI tank, and swap a aftermarket fuel pump. I already have a walbro intank pump, so this should work good correct?

Still a huge noob but I am trying to figure out the best way before we jump into this.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by GNCLONE
Rich guys disregard......If you want to save some money get the Pacesetter painted headers for 2000 Camaro/Firebird. The number is 70-2256 and I found 'em for a little less than $252 total to my door.

I put 'em on tonight (87 Regal). The pass one is going to need a little adjustment with my framing hammer, but they are good to go!
lol... i tried the heat and hammer thing.. but ended up taking it to my local exhaust shop and having them replace and move the new tube inward to miss the frame
Old 06-29-2011, 04:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by llorracs93s10
Ok, so I have gone through the entire thread here and on MCSS.com for this swap and I am trying to get all my ducks in line before anything. I have a buddy going to look at the lq4 6.0 from the 03 fullsize van. It will come with everything including engine/4l80e/comp and harness. So this is what I have gathered. Let me know if I have missinterrupted things so I can get things right before hand.

I called Current Performance who did my wiring and computer for my lt1 s10. He would build me a custome harness and reflash the computer. So thats good, since I plan to swap to a ls6 intake. SO things will lay correctly and plug and play. Now I know with going with teh ls6 intake you need to use the injectors and fuel rails as well. Is that it for the intake swap besides the front accessories modding?

On to the front accessories, I plan to keep all accessories including AC/PS so with saying that, If I do not go with a vette setup, KWPERF or however you spell it does the relocating the the accessories to allow the car intake to have no restrictions. My question is which ''bracket'' do I need from them for this? And also, with having PS what do I hve to do with clearing the steering box? Since I have read about clearance issues with the box. And If i needed to notch the frame on the passenger side, thats fine we did it for my s10.

NOw I have read both good and bad reviews with going with the pacesetter 98-02 LT headers...I cant justify dropping 700 dollars for headers right now but from what I read the pacesetters fit decent with the right mounts. ANd IIRC, its the stock clamshell mounts with the sbc->lsx adapter plates? If so which companys work best since I will be using all stock accessories upfront.

Cooling, I read that the champion all aluminum radiator is a decent radiator...I was thinking using that and ditching the cheap looking fans for 98-00 intrepid fans. Over on the s10forum they are popular and are said to have two styles, one which is a low/high 3000/3500cfm and the other is a low/high 3500/4000cfm puller fan setup with them built into a shroud already.

fuel tank I read that you want to get a ls 4.3 FI tank, and swap a aftermarket fuel pump. I already have a walbro intank pump, so this should work good correct?

Still a huge noob but I am trying to figure out the best way before we jump into this.
Here is a pic of my 5.3 with kwik Performance a/c brackets and LS6 intake. You will need an 07 and newer truck water pump. You can also get the compressor from Sanden with the correct head on it for the factory hoses to connect to. If you get the compressor from Kwik, it will not have the correct head on it. You power steering pulley will clear the steering box if you put the motor in the right place. just build your own brackets for the motor so you can place it where you want it, not where someone else wants it.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default pic

Has some bugs that I need to work out, but I have been driving it.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

The LS fits easily into a G body - almost like it was designed for it.

I think I have hit $3000 total for the swap - maybe a bit less. The motor is stock internally.

The stock truck accessories DO fit under the hood.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:47 PM
Launching!

guys I done a little experimenting today with some headers! I like to save as much cash as possible so this is the reason I was trying stuff. My goal was to be able to use the ebay stainless headers for an f body. I made my engine mounts so I dont know exactly where my setup sits compared to yours, however I am running f body accesories including ac compressor and power steering in factory location. I had to relocate the coil on the passenger side due to the heater box. The heater box is about 1.5" from the valve cover. With all that said below are my results!

Here is my build thread! http://m.modernhemi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1362971
1987 Monte carlo LS

Passenger side:
Stainless ebay header = NO WAY
Pacesetter Truck Header= YES with minimal massaging

Driver side:
Pacesetter Truck Header= No Way....does not stay tight enough to the engine
Stainless Ebay= Did not try

I know most everyone has said the pacesetter f body header works good on the driver side, but it still isnt the answer I am looking for. I am wanting something only to look nice, and stay nice as long as I can since this car isnt my race car. The rusty looking manifolds just have to go!
Old 07-30-2011, 11:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by carfreak07
guys I done a little experimenting today with some headers! I like to save as much cash as possible so this is the reason I was trying stuff. My goal was to be able to use the ebay stainless headers for an f body. I made my engine mounts so I dont know exactly where my setup sits compared to yours, however I am running f body accesories including ac compressor and power steering in factory location. I had to relocate the coil on the passenger side due to the heater box. The heater box is about 1.5" from the valve cover. With all that said below are my results!

Here is my build thread! http://m.modernhemi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1362971
1987 Monte carlo LS

Passenger side:
Stainless ebay header = NO WAY
Pacesetter Truck Header= YES with minimal massaging

Driver side:
Pacesetter Truck Header= No Way....does not stay tight enough to the engine
Stainless Ebay= Did not try

I know most everyone has said the pacesetter f body header works good on the driver side, but it still isnt the answer I am looking for. I am wanting something only to look nice, and stay nice as long as I can since this car isnt my race car. The rusty looking manifolds just have to go!
I'm using the BRP's on my car. Honestly if I knew they fit with my combination before buying the Pacesetters, I would never of bought the F-body headers and dropped the money and did it right the first time. I had to clearance one tube, very very slightly, but that was just to keep my mind at ease so I wouldn't have to hear any rattles or worry about something poking a hole into a primary.

Do you have any pictures of the way you put the F-body compressor on the car with the stock brackets? BRP says that I could of used the stock F-body components with their mounts, but they also didn't say I needed to drill 4 new holes for my trans crossmember. I would love to use the stock GM setup especially now that I have a billet Katech tensioner.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:53 PM
Launching!

No modifications to the bracket but the engine was set in the car with the compressor on it! I dont know if I could get the compressor off or not with the frame right there. Here is the thread with pictures showing the clearances!
http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...%3Ft%3D1362971
Old 08-14-2011, 02:29 PM
On The Tree

Guys I'm trying to figure out how to hook up the shifter for a 4l60e in my 81 cutlass. Has anyone already done this? I dont know if I should try to modify the stock shifter? Or should I use the f-body shifter? How do I get reverse lights? NSS? If the f-body shifter is the way to go will it fit under the g-body center console?
Old 08-14-2011, 02:45 PM
TECH Regular

console or column? i used my stock console regal one (with th200 non od) stock cable and 200-4r pan bracket to 200 arm,with stock adjuster, to 4l80e. then at inspection time (or if you feel courteous) you turn your column collar the reverse lights will come on. nss is in the gear position sensor on the trans and won't allow starting provided you used the donors fuse box which i believe has a starter enable relay.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:21 PM
Staging Lane

has anyone used the trans dapt 1" setback mounts and f-body a/c low mount compressor?
Old 08-14-2011, 07:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by labelblack68
has anyone used the trans dapt 1" setback mounts and f-body a/c low mount compressor?
You would have to notch the frame for the compressor.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GNCLONE
The LS fits easily into a G body - almost like it was designed for it.

I think I have hit $3000 total for the swap - maybe a bit less. The motor is stock internally.

The stock truck accessories DO fit under the hood.
please do tell how you've got this done for that. You can PM me if you want. If i could find a 6.0 id just do the z06 cam and ls6 springs and go from there for now. I'd love to only spend about 3-4k lol
Old 08-14-2011, 10:43 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by labelblack68
That won`t fit because the factory SBC frame side mount occupies the same space as the compressor. Its plenty easy to notch the frame to clear the compressor (thats what I did on my el camino and I will be doing that on my Monte SS as soon as I get a compressor).

The trick is you have to move the SBC lower mounts back on the frame and then build your own upper mounts to make that work.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:46 PM
Staging Lane

guess ill just use the kwik performance stuff. i have a working compressor and mount

Quick Reply: The G-Body Swap Thread