Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The G-Body Swap Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 09:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering lines

I've got a G8 6.0 in my 88 MC/SS and I had hoped after reading this thread that I could use my MC power steering lines and for once not have to buy another part to get this beast fired up. Well that dream died today so I'm back to ask folks whats the solution they used for hoses.
Old 05-09-2016, 12:41 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Randy_G
I've got a G8 6.0 in my 88 MC/SS and I had hoped after reading this thread that I could use my MC power steering lines and for once not have to buy another part to get this beast fired up. Well that dream died today so I'm back to ask folks whats the solution they used for hoses.
check out my youtube channel "regalman08" my whole LS swap build is on there and video #6 i think is power steering set up ill post a vid of the hose set up too jimmy wanted to know aswell
Old 05-09-2016, 01:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Did you try the stock G8 line? I used the stock fbody lines and bent it some. Same threads on the chassis. I know a different set up.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:44 PM
Teching In

Default hoses

I went today and had a custom pressure side made. The best part (Sarcasm) is that all this time I've installed and removed that power steering pump I never checked to see if it would even turn. Yup it wont turn, I bought an engine out of a wrecked car. So along with a few other pieces that I have had to replace I will be replacing the power steering pump now. I appreciate the pointers!! This forum and Google are a life saver.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:28 AM
Teching In

heres my 85 SS el camino, not sure if ive ever posted it here, but its been running and done for like 4 years now.it currently has a 6.0 ironblock, forged internals, stock cam and heads ATM, ls6 intake and a 4l80e. im currently in progress of swapping a super T10 manual to replace the 4l80e. cars full pro touring, full suspension Z06 grand sport brakes...etc...
theres some nice projects on here though!
Attached Thumbnails The G-Body Swap Thread-13177380_1183681631663158_5206796789788544140_n.jpg   The G-Body Swap Thread-13178851_1183681628329825_4608470789215481689_n.jpg   The G-Body Swap Thread-922700_557795657585095_1895032514_n.jpg   The G-Body Swap Thread-13165827_1183683641662957_3423978134764095833_n.jpg  
Old 05-13-2016, 01:10 AM
Teching In

Default Stepped away for a few years. Lots of questions....

Due to responsibilities and such my project has turned into 10+ years. I have the '99 PCM reprogrammed by Speartech, Corvette regulator, Racetronix Turbo Buick 255LPH pump, hydraulic clutch conversion kit, and a G-Body LSx/T56 trans crossmember.

Now that I have the funds, I'm ready to get into wiring(and getting this running)!!!!!! I'd like to keep the interior as stock as possible. After doing some searches to get caught up I'm getting headaches due to multiple solutions. I know it's reasonable to incorporate air conditioning, cruise control, oil pressure, coolant temp, a tach, and speedo. I'm not much for aftermarket gauges aesthetically and intend to use Monte SS gauges in my '78 Malibu if possible. I know; or have a good idea, how to incorporate most of the a fore mentioned components but find myself at a loss when it comes to cruise control and AC.

What is the best method to use cruise control and air on an LS1 in a '78 Malibu that uses as many GM parts as possible?

What is required of the PCM and/or harness to retrofit for CC and AC?

Can a '99 harness be used? Anything need to be modified?
Old 05-13-2016, 09:08 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 78LS1bu
I have the '99 PCM reprogrammed by Speartech, Corvette regulator, Racetronix Turbo Buick 255LPH pump, hydraulic clutch conversion kit, and a G-Body LSx/T56 trans crossmember.

What is the best method to use cruise control and air on an LS1 in a '78 Malibu that uses as many GM parts as possible?

When you say 99+ PCM, what do you mean? Is it a truck, van, or car style?

For A/C, I believe the signals are different between the different styles, and I assume the malibu is an analog signal for the clutch and such, which should be how the van and truck systems are, but the car tune is different... So I'd check with Speartech to see how they set up the A/C signal in the tune. It's just a different button in the tune, but it'd be good to know where it is now.

For cruise, if your pcm is a truck system, just go get a CC module from a salvage yard and get a wiring diagram and plug it all in. I believe you might need a later model g-body cruise switch to communicate the right on/off functions, but GM was pretty consistent with all that I believe. Get yourself a wiring diagram first and double check everything will line up correctly.
Old 05-14-2016, 08:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Ottawa Ontario, Canada - where arguing "DA" is for the slow and weak...
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Due to responsibilities and such my project has turned into 10+ years. I have the '99 PCM reprogrammed by Speartech, Corvette regulator, Racetronix Turbo Buick 255LPH pump, hydraulic clutch conversion kit, and a G-Body LSx/T56 trans crossmember.

Now that I have the funds, I'm ready to get into wiring(and getting this running)!!!!!! I'd like to keep the interior as stock as possible. After doing some searches to get caught up I'm getting headaches due to multiple solutions. I know it's reasonable to incorporate air conditioning, cruise control, oil pressure, coolant temp, a tach, and speedo. I'm not much for aftermarket gauges aesthetically and intend to use Monte SS gauges in my '78 Malibu if possible. I know; or have a good idea, how to incorporate most of the a fore mentioned components but find myself at a loss when it comes to cruise control and AC.

Link in sig below.

Last edited by mOtOrHeAd MiKe; 05-14-2016 at 01:26 PM.
Old 05-14-2016, 12:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ryanleiker
When you say 99+ PCM, what do you mean? Is it a truck, van, or car style?

For A/C, I believe the signals are different between the different styles, and I assume the malibu is an analog signal for the clutch and such, which should be how the van and truck systems are, but the car tune is different... So I'd check with Speartech to see how they set up the A/C signal in the tune. It's just a different button in the tune, but it'd be good to know where it is now.

For cruise, if your pcm is a truck system, just go get a CC module from a salvage yard and get a wiring diagram and plug it all in. I believe you might need a later model g-body cruise switch to communicate the right on/off functions, but GM was pretty consistent with all that I believe. Get yourself a wiring diagram first and double check everything will line up correctly.
It's a 99 F-Body PCM and Harness. I did get the CC module? from the donor car. What I'm on the fence with is modifying the factory harness or going with an aftermarket harness.

Originally Posted by mOtOrHeAd MiKe
Link in sig below.
???
Old 05-14-2016, 01:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Ottawa Ontario, Canada - where arguing "DA" is for the slow and weak...
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

???
I was mobile and it did not show the sig/link. https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ion-wagon.html

I have transplanted both the A/C and CC controls into our Lemans by creating a hybrid stock G-body/99+ LS1 Camaro harness. Don't assume that any vendor is going to know where to break-out the plugs for the connections - to the best of my knowledge none of this is supported in a PnP fashion.

Case in point just figuring out which brake switches to use was good fun.
Old 05-17-2016, 01:00 PM
Teching In

Default A/C wiring questions

Hello, I have a 79 Malibu with a 5.3L truck engine and computer(blue/red connectors) I have the A/C system sealed up but i'm having trouble figuring out what pins on the C-2 connector to wire the pressure sensors. I'm using a pancake style compressor with a pressure switch on the back of it(assuming this is the low pressure switch. I have welded a 3 pin high pressure switch into the high side line. Also have the cycling switch on the receiver dryer. Are all 3 of these pressure switches/sensors needed or just the 3 pin high pressure switch? any help would be greatly appreciated....its starting to get hot out here in AZ...
Old 05-23-2016, 05:23 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default New guy & good accy setup

HI guys: Longtime lurker here, but I finally bit the bullet and picked up a 6.0 LQ9 from a local shop. I painted it, then bought a CBM motorsports harness, and am planning to get a CTSV oil pan and dipstick.
However, I'm not sure about accessories. I'd like to have AC someday, and am happy to use stock corvette stuff. Is that a decent plan, or do I need to go out and spend 1500 bucks on accessories? Thanks! Jerry W. 86 Monte SS
Attached Thumbnails The G-Body Swap Thread-wp_20160523_002-1-.jpg   The G-Body Swap Thread-wp_20160523_003-1-.jpg  
Old 05-23-2016, 06:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by witman69
HI guys: Longtime lurker here, but I finally bit the bullet and picked up a 6.0 LQ9 from a local shop. I painted it, then bought a CBM motorsports harness, and am planning to get a CTSV oil pan and dipstick.
However, I'm not sure about accessories. I'd like to have AC someday, and am happy to use stock corvette stuff. Is that a decent plan, or do I need to go out and spend 1500 bucks on accessories? Thanks! Jerry W. 86 Monte SS
I used stock truck pulleys and accessories. Used a pancake style compressor from a late 90's Silverado and used A/C relocation brackets from LS Brackets.com. Everything lined up and fit like it was factory. Used A/C lines and condensor out of a 87 Cutlass. Had to tweak the lines here and there but overall it was a good fit
Old 05-23-2016, 09:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by witman69
The factory truck accessories are the best way to go in my opinion. Much cheaper than switching to other accessories. Truck accessories clear the hood fine in g-body applications and the stock low mount a/c compressor fits in with no modifications either. Adapter plate style mounts will not work with the low mount compressor though. They occupy the same real estate. I used spohn mounts for mine. love em.

Also, If you have a low profile intake, truck accessories will still work. The water pump has to be modified or swapped. The easiest option is the 2010+ camaro water pump. It is a direct fit. Also, an idler pulley relocation bracket will be necessary. Dirty Dingo makes one for a reasonable price.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:42 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the help guys! I will go find some truck stuff on EBay this week. Just wondering if the smaller Sanden AC compressors work better, or are you guys happy with the pancake style stock one?
Old 05-24-2016, 11:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Does anyone know if the AC position using the truck accessories is in the same position as the Vette accessories, or is the Vette AC farther back? I already have the Vette accessories, but need to move the AC for a supercharger. But I dont know if I can put the AC compressor low on pass side using 1" setback plates and Vette accessories. Thanks
Old 05-24-2016, 11:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well i found the answer to my question. I don't think I can get an AC compressor in with the Vette accessories & 1" set back plates.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by samckitt
Does anyone know if the AC position using the truck accessories is in the same position as the Vette accessories, or is the Vette AC farther back? I already have the Vette accessories, but need to move the AC for a supercharger. But I dont know if I can put the AC compressor low on pass side using 1" setback plates and Vette accessories. Thanks
The Corvette compressor is set back farther than the truck's. It will interfere with the frame. There is a thread on here where a grand national was equipped with a low mount Sanden compressor with vette accessories. He had to notch the frame for it.

And I would say, no way will a low mount compressor fit with setback plates. I tried it and ended up switching to spohn mounts. The clearance issue isn't with the frame but with the plates. They occupy the space where the compressor would be.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bigmandengo
The Corvette compressor is set back farther than the truck's. It will interfere with the frame. There is a thread on here where a grand national was equipped with a low mount Sanden compressor with vette accessories. He had to notch the frame for it.

And I would say, no way will a low mount compressor fit with setback plates. I tried it and ended up switching to spohn mounts. The clearance issue isn't with the frame but with the plates. They occupy the space where the compressor would be.
I dont have a problem switching from plates to a different mount. But I suspect with it being 1" back it will interfere with frame.

The Spohn parts go on the frame? If so, then what is on the engine?
Old 05-24-2016, 12:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by samckitt
I dont have a problem switching from plates to a different mount. But I suspect with it being 1" back it will interfere with frame.
The spohn mounts ended up mounting the motor very close to where it was with the setback plates. I didn't have to change driveshafts, trans cross member, etc.. Regardless, my truck compressor still has around 3/4" clearance to the frame.

This guy mounted a Sanden down low with Corvette accessories and a blower. I think he used the Alan Grove setup.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids/1734236-lsa-grand-national-conversion.html

Quick Reply: The G-Body Swap Thread