Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Body Questions? LS Engine in 96 LT1 F-Body?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 08:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Body Questions? LS Engine in 96 LT1 F-Body?

I just purchased a 96 Trans Am. I want to put a LS based engine in it. How hard is the conversion? How much of the harness has to be chopped up or replaced? Is it a direct bolt in? What if any complications are involved.
Also I'm curious if the 98-2004 T/A model front end (Bumper Hood and Fenders) will bolt or fit onto a 96 T/A F-Body.

I'm sure this has been covered dozens of times in here but some helpful hints or tips would be greatly appriciated.

Last edited by tes87gn; 07-20-2007 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Add a question
Old 07-22-2007, 07:02 AM
Staging Lane

buddy, do a search
Old 07-22-2007, 05:13 PM
Teching In

Default fbody

Hey Pal thanks for the great suggestion. I already did that.

Originally Posted by fbodyforever
buddy, do a search

Last edited by tes87gn; 07-22-2007 at 09:12 PM.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:20 PM
On The Tree

In case all your questions were not answered:

No, it is not a direct bolt in.
You'll need 98-02 K-member and motor mounts.
I'll give you the same suggestion that I give everybody when doing an LSX based conversion: buy a new custom harness from a place like Speartech. It'll save you thousands of headaches.
Yes, 98-02 front end will swap onto an LT car with minor if any modifications to the panels.
Also, you'll probably get a ton of responses suggesting that you sell the LT car and buy an LS one. But everybody's needs and desires are different.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:06 PM
Teching In

Smile 9540x

Thank you very much for the information. I greatly appriciate meaningful informative replies!!
Old 07-23-2007, 10:37 PM
Banned

i did it in my camaro, i just used all the wiring from an 01, dash and all! you'll need a 98^ steering rack also, i even used the gas tank, fuel and break lines because to me it was the easiest way. you can used your fuel lines but u need a 98 vetter fuel rail for the return line. you can have you the engine ls1 harness work with your 96 dash but your tach will be off and you'll need a temp sensor from a 98(3 wire). i can go into greater detail but the easiest way is to take everything from a ls1 car in transfer into your shell. everything will bolt in, the only modifiing that i can remember is you have to enlarge the hole under the backseat whare the fuel/abs wiring is run.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:51 PM

Ok I have a smiliar question... 93 6 Cyl. F body to LS1 I done numerous searches all over the net and here... and anyone and everyone seems to have different methods... some say
K member only and harness Engine harness.

Others say K memmber, harness, springs, steering rack, chassis harness,

This is my take and a novice LS1 swapper's at that too. However, I am an experenced wrencher for what its worth (it is my job), so what does this sound like- Please if your going to reply let me know if I am right or wrong on any/all of these

Trans. Dapt sells motor mounts designed to put an Ls1 into ANY SB chevy chassis. To my knowledge this is the only reason the K member is needed as the mounts are different. So can you use a LT1 K member? ( I've got one already)

There is no different listing from for v6 vs v8 camaros for a number of performance spring suppliers but there is for others... Better to go with the flow and do springs I am thinking.

Steering rack I am unsure of if there is a difference. Unless it is interference of the LS1 motor? If so is it just a steering rack swap onto your LT1 K member or is this also why you need full LS1 K member?

If you have an intact ECM/PCM harness and control module... all you will need is the "pin outs" for the module's constant B+, switch igntion, crank signal, ground, and fuel pump relay for you new harness and that of your orginaly harness for the chassis. make a sub-harness to connect the two and thats done.

Just my down and dirty check list so far... haven't done anything with the car yet but get my 5.3L, 4l60E, and various z28 brakes, dash, etc.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:12 PM
On The Tree

K-member is needed for oil pan to clear. You could notch the LT's and use motermounts, but I like to take the easier route even if it means a few extra dollars.