Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

harness extensions...

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 04:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default harness extensions...

ok...got my car to start...now my question is...the stock harness ish only long enuff to be placed where my existing battery is...and i don't want to move my battery....is there an extension harness that anyone sells that i can mount on the firewall for easy unplugging if i need to remove the motor??? and the other end to go into the car and have the pcm mounted there???
Old 08-01-2007, 04:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cut,strip,extend,solder,heat shrink and repeat
Old 08-01-2007, 05:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Schitzo
cut,strip,extend,solder,heat shrink and repeat

i don't wanna go this route...i want to go with a connector route...so that way...if i remove the motor...i'll just unplug and pull the motor...rather then unplugging all the connectors or plugging from pcm and pull harness thru firewall...just want a connector piece so i can snap on and off...
Old 08-01-2007, 05:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Yellowbrother
i don't wanna go this route...i want to go with a connector route...
In that case,

cut,strip,extend on both sides of connector,solder,heat shrink and repeat
Old 08-01-2007, 05:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

kidding aside. I doubt there is anyone offering extensions for LS1 harnesses unless its a custom harness. Speartech or Waitforme performance might be able to help.
Also go to google and do a search for efi connection.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

pm'd speartech....i was afraid of that...that this product i'm looking for doesn't exist...
Old 08-01-2007, 06:24 PM
9 Second Club/LS1TECH Sponsor

We've made a few for some very specialized in-shop testing:

But since they don't make a nice female PCM connector (only the circuit board header connector) there is no nice way to make them. It's a royal PITA to build and I don't think I could trust the female side for long term durability in an automotive environment.

In short: no, we won't make them.

91 Z28 LS2 408CI, LS9 Supercharger, LPE GT7 cam, Yank3000, 3450 raceweight.
Latest numbers: 9.71 ET, 141.42 MPH, 1.40 60' , 610 RWHP Mustang Dyno

www.speartech.com
Old 08-01-2007, 06:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Speartech

In short: no, we won't make them.

doh!!!!!!!!!! exactly wat i'm looking for....
Old 08-01-2007, 06:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Speartech

But since they don't make a nice female PCM connector (only the circuit board header connector) there is no nice way to make them. It's a royal PITA to build and I don't think I could trust the female side for long term durability in an automotive environment.
so does that mean the header connector can be ordered??? anyone know where i can buy this from??? i found this googling... http://www.eficonnection.com/eficonnection/100w.aspx
Old 08-07-2007, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yellowbrother, you may eventually get the extender built, but it would be very difficult to keep it together. The right angle PCB mount connectors they use will not have the strength to hold up for long that way. You may get away with potting it, or you may not. I have not had good luck with that type of connection in the past, and the pins on the connector are not designed to provide a strong connection to that kind of solder joint. They really do need the vias, it locates the connector, and provides a good interface to the header. I have to reccomend against trying this in a car. Not bashing, just voicing my opinion based on many, many years of aircraft/missle testing and design as well as unmanned vehicle, and robotic interface design. That connector will not hold up when used that way.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 67rsss
Yellowbrother, you may eventually get the extender built, but it would be very difficult to keep it together. The right angle PCB mount connectors they use will not have the strength to hold up for long that way. You may get away with potting it, or you may not. I have not had good luck with that type of connection in the past, and the pins on the connector are not designed to provide a strong connection to that kind of solder joint. They really do need the vias, it locates the connector, and provides a good interface to the header. I have to reccomend against trying this in a car. Not bashing, just voicing my opinion based on many, many years of aircraft/missle testing and design as well as unmanned vehicle, and robotic interface design. That connector will not hold up when used that way.

well i haven't been able to source out the header connector yet....grrr...i don't know wat exactly u got pictured in ur mind...but i was thinking somehow cutting rectangular cutout on the firewall just the size of the connector and mount the header connector there facing the engine bay...then just connect the engine harness from there...i don't see where the wires would come into play and it not holding up...cuz it would be stationary....maybe i'm missing something here...but thanx for the heads up...
Old 08-07-2007, 08:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

buy a used pcm and get the saw that's what I would do if I was in your shoes. you may be able to use or come up with a new board to solder the wires to leaving the pins alone. then make everything fixed inside the little box and mount it through the firewall like you plan.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:43 PM
TECH Resident

Cut the harness and splice it extensions into it. If you want to get really fancy you could put a big metripack bulkhead connector or two ate on of the splices or in the middle of the extension.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:53 PM
Teching In

Pick your connector, depending on what you want may have to order quality of 25 or more. Good luck
http://connectors.delphi.com/DCSGDMC...vID=Automotive
Old 08-08-2007, 10:48 AM
TECH Resident

I'm a little confused about extending wires on the harness. I seem to recall it is NOT recommended; something to do with changing the resistance. Can someone clarify this for me?

Thanks,
Andy1
Old 08-08-2007, 11:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

As long as the connection is soldered and heat shrinked there is not a change in resistance unless the connection is poor or you solder 20+ feet of wire into the circuit. Long story short the pcm does not know the difference as long as the connection is solid and does not introduce high resistance into the circuit due to a poor connection. The way I have extended all of my wire harness' is to get a scrap harness and pull the pin out of the pcm connector and then cut whatever length of the wire you want out of the donor harness and then insert into your pcm connector and solder and heat shrink it. That way with each wire extensions there is only one splice in the circuit. It is also a lot faster. As far as adaptor harness' forget it they are made from unobtainium.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

And everyone knows how hard unobtainium is to come across. HAHA thats great.

Quick Reply: harness extensions...